QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Disneyfycation
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Disneyfycation » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  DisneyfycationPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ive never watched a ghibli movie in original format, but I do see comments on here about the "disney" effects. I buy my ghibli dvd's of madman entertainment, aka allready "disnefyied". Is the message really blurred by extra sound effects? What else is changed? I have been told that I miss a lot from pure cultural difference/cultural ignorance (aspects that Japenese poeple understand but a silly Aussie dosn't) but I do like to think through all this, the message is the same. Maybe I can't put it in words but Ido like to think the inspiration is the same. The most recent movie I saw was Earthsea, which to me meant a fair bit about hope, fear and love. Nausicaa is my old time faverite, and to me the princess represents respect, nature and courage, that she so selflessly stood up for a misunderstood entity (the forest). Princess MonoNoke was such a brilliant dillema of morals, the way both sides of the story (man vs forest, irontown vs spirits) it reminded me of a book on philosophy I read called Humanity, which was about the thoughts and situations that surround normal himans to precure inhuman acts (so long as it is justified it can be done withot moral sanction on the conciousness). I do like to thibk Iinterpretthese films correctlylol, becuase a new perspective I fear may displease me. Comments please? (I toldI'm different anyway so maybe I have a different perspective regardless of culture or "disnefycation".

Post last edited by I-B4-E THUG on 09.02.2011, 08:00 AM.

09.02.2011, 06:53 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, when it comes to Earthsea and Nausicaa, Disney didn't disneyfy them. Howl's Moving Castle was Disneyfied to a small extent as was Kiki because Calcifer and Jiji were chock full of One-Line zingers as is popular in American humor (and very unpopular in Japanese humor).

There are several things which distinguish Disney films over Miyazaki Ghibli. Generally, Disney has a good versus evil theme with a really evil main villain who usually has a comic sidekick--and a really good main character with another comic sidekick. The good person usually dispatches the villain with extreme prejudice. Disney films also tend to have complete closure.

To me, the king of all Disneyfied movies is Spirited Away. Technically, though, it was Pixarated. People who watched the English version first got the story completely wrong, as it was turned into one of a million other 'coming of age' movies--which Miyazaki himself specifically discounted. Miyazaki expressly mentioned that Chihiro had all the traits of a good person throughout the film and was exposed through her circumstances.

09.05.2011, 12:44 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I probably don't pay quite as close attention as dballred to how translation changes the theme of the movies. But I pick up on how the different voice actors portray their character's feelings and personality.

After watching Nausicaa in both versions, I think they're substantially the same. The English voice actors also did generally a good job of conveying the same emotions as the Japanese voice actors. I like Nausicaa (the film) in both languages.

In Mononoke, the main characters like Ashitaka, San, and Eboshi are done well. But I found that a lot of the side characters (the men of Iron town, for example) have much more exaggerated, comedic voices than in the Japanese version. They were already comedic relief in Japanese, but in English they're turned into cartoon characters. That bugged me a lot when I was watching it...

09.05.2011, 01:43 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen many Studio Ghibli films both subbed and dubbed, and I don't think that they have been too "Disneyfyed". Most of them seem to carry the films original message quite well.

Usually, Disney just adds unnecessary lines all over the place, but it doesn't really effect the story in any way. Two of the worst examples of this are in Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service.

EDIT: As for sound effects, I am curious how different Castle in the Sky is in Japanese compared to the English version. I've only seen the English dub, and I think Castle in the Sky is the one film where Disney took things too far: Tons of lines, sound effects, and music were added. I wonder if it ruined the atmosphere of the movie?

Post last edited by on 09.05.2011, 07:51 PM.

09.05.2011, 07:49 PM  
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Regarding Castle in the Sky, there is something of an almost haunting quality to the way the original portrayed some of its airborne scenes upon a backdrop of silence. That, at least, is lost in the American reworking of it (though I can't say I didn't appreciate the higher quality recordings of the original music).

Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away are two examples where the message of the story is changed a bit by adding certain lines at the very end. With Kiki, it's her ability to hear Jiji again (losing it was supposed to be a mark of growing up), with Spirited Away,it was removing the ambiguity of whether Chihiro remembered her adventure or not (it's not supposed to matter).

Post last edited by Theowne on 09.06.2011, 08:35 AM.

09.06.2011, 08:34 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lets face it, Disney is only good when it comes down to their own films.
Its a typical scenario, you can do something good your own way. But it is hard to do it a different way until you get better at it.

Post last edited by hopexx5 on 09.06.2011, 02:58 PM.

09.06.2011, 02:57 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just watched the first few minutes of the american dub of Laputa and I have to say it didn't work at all. My two biggest problems were the unnecessary extra music and lines. This expecially bothered me in the scene where Pazu and Sheeta talk on Pazu's roof. The extra lines just sound so stupid, it's much sweeter in japanese, where much of the kids communication with each other is nonverbal (ie. Pazu and Sheeta enjoying the doves together and Pazu's very unsuccesful flight attempt). The other problem is Pazu's voice: he sounds much older than in the original version. Ok, he sounds a bit younger than his 14 years in japanese, but it's just cute and kind of shows him as a childish character that he is. In the american dub Pazu sounds about 16-17 years old.

09.07.2011, 08:21 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with Heidi, the extra lines in the scenes of laputa always make me feel awkward watching it because 9 times out of ten the lines are rather corny and unnecesary.

Saying that i do not think that this is apparent in all of the ghibli dsneyfied films, just some of them. i think it is less apparent in the later films because disney have learnt not to tamper with them to much because of ruining them.

There is that story where disney got the rights to english dub nausicca but in the process they changed the whole story and added and took away pieces without consenting Miyazaki. this of course infuriated Miyazaki and the deal was going to be stopped but it wasn't. then when disney was sent Princess mononoke to do the english dub with it Miyazaki sent a Katana in a long box. When lasseter (head of disney pixar) opened the box the Katana was lying there with a note attatched to it reading NO CUTS!!!!!. I thought this story is extremely funny!!!

10.28.2011, 10:19 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Wikidkid101
There is that story where disney got the rights to english dub nausicca but in the process they changed the whole story and added and took away pieces without consenting Miyazaki. this of course infuriated Miyazaki and the deal was going to be stopped but it wasn't. then when disney was sent Princess mononoke to do the english dub with it Miyazaki sent a Katana in a long box. When lasseter (head of disney pixar) opened the box the Katana was lying there with a note attatched to it reading NO CUTS!!!!!. I thought this story is extremely funny!!!

About the Nausicaa thing... if we talk about the same thing this was not Disney's doing. Warriors of the wind, the butchered version of Nausicaa, was made much before the disney-ghibli deal( Warriors of the wind came out in US in 1985, one year after the original Nausicaa and the Disney deal started in 1997 or 1998 with Kiki's delivery service). I'm not entirely sure who was responsible for Warriors of the wind and can't check in Helen McCarthy's book right now, but if I remember correctly it was Streamline pictures. But you're right about that the cuts made ghibli furious and after that they adapted a strict "no cuts-policy" and rarely allowed their movies to be shown in the west before the deal with Disney

Post last edited by Heidi80 on 10.28.2011, 03:30 PM.

10.28.2011, 03:29 PM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Were not...

Yes dianey did make an english version of Nausicca whitch was terrible but when the disney tokuma deal was made they got the rights to dub certain films:

Spirited Away
My neighbours the yamadas
Princess Mononoke
Kiki's delivery service
castle in the sky
my neighbour totoro
only yesterday
porco rosso
pom poko
whisper of the heart
Nausicca of the valley of the wind

it was when the deal was made that they re-edited the film without permission, Nausicca was the first film they dubbed followed by Princes Mononoke and that is why when they sent the film to disney Miyazaki sent the Katana with the note 'NO CUTS'

Sorry for the confusion from my earlier posts.

10.31.2011, 07:27 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Wikidkid101
Were not...

Yes dianey did make an english version of Nausicca whitch was terrible but when the disney tokuma deal was made they got the rights to dub certain films:

Spirited Away
My neighbours the yamadas
Princess Mononoke
Kiki's delivery service
castle in the sky
my neighbour totoro
only yesterday
porco rosso
pom poko
whisper of the heart
Nausicca of the valley of the wind

it was when the deal was made that they re-edited the film without permission, Nausicca was the first film they dubbed followed by Princes Mononoke and that is why when they sent the film to disney Miyazaki sent the Katana with the note 'NO CUTS'

Sorry for the confusion from my earlier posts.

I don't quite follow you. The Buena vista/disney dub of Nausicaa was made much later than the dub of Princess Mononoke, acording to wikipedia in 2005.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausica%C3%...ey_of_the_Wind_(film)

10.31.2011, 03:59 PM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Well I might Have it wrong but I wouldn't always believe what is written on wikipedia as it could be wrong. but then a gain I might be wrong in some way!!

11.01.2011, 07:31 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

One thing that I've found about Wikipedia is that it can be edited by anyone who thinks something is different than what is printed on the screen. I, myself have done editing of this sort before simply because the subject matter was something I was familiar with.

11.01.2011, 11:56 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Wikidkid101
Totoro

sorry about the confusion.

We were both right I was just getting a bit confused everything is in the first paragraph of the link below
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=9544

Post last edited by Wikidkid101 on 11.01.2011, 02:14 PM.

11.01.2011, 12:29 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks