QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - How feasible is a live chat?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » How feasible is a live chat? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  How feasible is a live chat?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So I was just wondering about the idea we all have been talking about on and off the past many months and how feasible it actually was, considering time differences and commitments and all that. I know many of us have had private chats with each other but very, very few of us have actually spoken with each other.

So, let's break that wall.

First of all we need to know how many of us are actually interested in this group chat because, you know, "we need people to have an actual conversation", as quoted by my favourite soldier Captain Obvious.

The second issue is more technical: voice chats require a microphone. That means anyone who wants in is going to have to have a mike connected to the computer, and despite mikes being rather cheap, it's still a cost, unless you have one built-in. Or if the program can be run on a phone (wifi though...)

Third is the actual voice chat service itself. This is more complicated than the first two in that it requires some degree of technical knowledge to set up an account or, worst case scenario, download and install a program.

-----

Fortunately, this website seems like a good place to start. And I believe if we get some topics going in this forum, members will start posting and we can actually have more timely replies to organising a virtual meetup.

So. Thoughts?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.07.2014, 11:27 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You, you mean we'd actually have to LISTEN TO YOU TALK?!!!!!!!

lol

All humor aside. I read your link and was concerned about the automatic disposal of any chatroom in 24 hours. Then a new chatroom would have to be set up. All this is in the free service.

A little further on, it offers an advanced set-up whereby the chatroom 24-hr disposal is disabled... But I didn't see whether or not there was a charge for this... Not being that computer literate, I didn't want to pursue it in case I clicked the wrong icon and found my self owing someone money... But someone needs to check out this offer a bit more, I think. Unless you already have, Roar...

Other than that, it sounds fun, although the time differences do pose a problem...

10.07.2014, 12:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1+

i think its possible to do that, however minor rearrangements has to be done in one's schedule.

every who have a headphone should have a microphone.

But above all it depends if the members are at all interested to listen to other member's voices.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

10.07.2014, 04:26 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HELL.YES.

It would be so super cool to hear everyone. :3

That said, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker if we could only type.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 10.07.2014, 05:38 PM.

10.07.2014, 05:38 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, if we didn't manage to get voice it wouldn't be the end of the world. Friends of mine have used Skype group chats and I don't think they have paid versions... so maybe that can be used, with some kind of limit?

The main issues I think would be time zones, since we're from all parts of the world, and the sheer number of people. Trying to run a voice call with many people could be difficult.

10.07.2014, 05:53 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In another chat I was in a long time ago, if I went online, and wanted to yak with someone, I'd access the chatroom and see who was there. If someone I was familiar with, I'd contact them or say something to them and wait for an answer...

10.08.2014, 01:40 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Putting aside the downside of hearing me speak (which is a horrifyingly legit argument), I thought the session can be just a short one, maybe less than a hour. I'm suggesting voice chat because there are advantages to having a chat in real time compared to reading walls of text and missing the timing for a reply like in old chatrooms like mirc or msn.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

10.08.2014, 11:13 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have skype and have Flare's and Fen's contacts. It's free and simple to install. Mics can cost as little as £5/$10.

Why don't we try a group session using that?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.08.2014, 01:07 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha time differences are gonna be fun to navigate~

We can use skype for free group voice chat. You only need the paid version to do group video chat. And if not that, then we can use a website like Tinychat and create a private chatroom... they've got video/voice options.

Anyone free this Friday? Sometime between 1 and 3pm MST... which is 7-9pm UTC/GMT+0.

10.08.2014, 02:15 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think I could make that. It'll be fantastically late Roar's time though.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.08.2014, 03:56 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh darn! I forgot about Roar's timezone. It'll be like 4am for him.

How early of a riser are you, Roar?

10.08.2014, 04:31 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Early enough to get to work on time and never earlier Hence the weekend suggestion.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

10.09.2014, 06:43 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Well, given our timezones someone is gonna have to get up early regardless.

Saturday, 4pm UTC... 5pm London time. midnight (?) roar time. 10am my time...9am husky time

If that's too late for roar, we can do an hour earlier. But then husky has to be up at 8 ~

10.09.2014, 03:03 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

7-9 UTC will be around 7+6 - 9+6 or 1-3 am at night. can make it barely. I vote for skype it has much less lag.

If it depends on the day fridays will be better for me. And cant attend at thursdays.

and There is much easier navigation for text and voice in skype for those who dont have a mic.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

10.09.2014, 03:44 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

I'd HAVE to get up at 7am!!!

lol

gotta get my skype going again, forgotten everything...

@saviour
look at fen's post above yours... different times given

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.09.2014, 08:31 PM.

10.09.2014, 08:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Hmm..

as far as i understand roars timezone is two hours ahead of mine. i mean his timezone is utc+8 and mine is utc+6. so anything between 10pm-12pm in roars zone i can barely make it. however for me it depends more on the particular day.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 10.10.2014, 01:45 AM.

10.10.2014, 01:44 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Well we need to agree to a platform at least.

So who agrees with skype/already has skype?

EDIT: Also, who already has a mike/will be getting a mike?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

10.11.2014, 12:09 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Ok, I have a skype acct, but I don't know how to use it... Remember, I'm the old guy...my laptop has a webcam and a built-in mike... But I have never used it before... and how do we hook up? I don't know anyone's ,,, uh,,, number??? call name???

I will be back around 7:15am, pac cst time...

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.11.2014, 05:01 AM.

10.11.2014, 04:34 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I have Skype and a mic. All ready to go here. Obviously Fen and Flare do as well.

10.11.2014, 05:45 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ready whenever you guys are. My timezone is Eastern, so I'm three hours ahead of Husky. I'd have to be up at ten. Easy peasy!

10.11.2014, 08:19 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4  5    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks