QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Trying to explain love for ghibli...
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Trying to explain love for ghibli... » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Trying to explain love for ghibli...Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Gahh, I'm trying to write an article about why I love studio Ghibli for an autism web magazine (I have Asperger's syndrome, a form of high-functioning autism) and it's so damn hard. I mean, how can you explain the magic of ghibli movies to someone who has never seen one? It's impossible...

05.31.2011, 08:45 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've found that I basically can't. I can only really talk about Ghibli films to people who have seen at least one of them, or else I just come across as a rambling lunatic. ^^||

06.05.2011, 11:43 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When i mention the word studio ghibli or hayo miyazaki amoungst a group of friends a nearly 100% reply is, ghibli... what is ghibli?
does nobody watch decent films these days?

06.05.2011, 08:31 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have Aspergers as well. Just thought I'd mention that.

But to actually address the question, the two words that always come to mind when I think of Hayao Miyazaki's films are honest and pure. There is a sort of purity that Miyazaki-san films have have that I think is incredible. You should definitely say something about that in your article.

And then there are the obvious things you could say. You could mention the beautiful artwork, the Japanese culture and environmental themes present in his films, Joe Hisaishi's musical scores, ect. You could talk about the characters he creates, their realism, and the fact that he uses children as his protagonists often could be mentioned as well.

By the way, if you don't mind, could you post the article once you've finished writing it? I'd like to read it.

06.05.2011, 10:06 PM  
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have it too!!! Guess it's more common than I thought!

Write about the sense of majesty and adventure we get from Ghibli's movies, a feeling absent from most modern cinema. Something evocative of the Hollywood golden days, with a deep passion adults might understand more than children. Capitalizing on the theme of flight might be a good idea too.

06.07.2011, 06:42 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I knew it! There's a link between asperger and Ghibli. Almost all the people with asperger I know love ghibli movies. *goes into scholar mode and starts to study link between asperger and ghibli* Thanks for the suggestions on the article, I have a clearer image on how I want to do it now. I'll start with describing the first time I saw a ghibli film (Mononoke hime), then I'll write about how ghibli became a special interest for me, then about themes and motifs in ghibli films and round up with when I saw Mononoke hime again at the cinema last year, 81/2 years after I first saw it.

06.08.2011, 05:04 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've also noticed that a lot of people with Aspergers like Ghibli movies. I wonder why that is?

06.08.2011, 10:45 AM  
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That is so weird lol. Haha, I don't have aspergers and i luv Ghibli. But, it sounds like Ghibli appeals to most with aspergers. This calls for advanced experimentation (AKA. survey lol).

Check out my music:

06.08.2011, 11:49 AM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks