QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Do you Buy Anime or Watch Online ?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Do you Buy Anime or Watch Online ? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Umfrage: Do You Watch Anime Online, or DVD/Blu Ray ?
DVD/Blu-Ray
Results
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Do you Buy Anime or Watch Online ?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was just curious, I want to know how many people watch them on DVD and Blu Ray. I know people watch it online, but I don't, nor will I ever.

I don't have access to a laptop for more than 15 minutes per session, and I get bored watching things online.

I know it's obviously free to watch online, I don't like watching films or TV online. I prefer to pay for the product, then own it. I don't pirate either, I prefer to have the full product how it was made.

I'd rather have a collection that I can look at show off, than watch things online. If I have everything online, then I won't need to buy things, I prefer to be excited when I get money to buy some Anime.

07.30.2013, 02:00 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Online, because I'm evil and poor. Mostly poor.

My Anime List

07.30.2013, 02:30 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

, I bet it's because you're evil, world domination in mind

07.30.2013, 02:31 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Online, because I'm evil and poor. Mostly evil.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.30.2013, 02:33 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Evil and Poor, a common theme occurring ? haha

07.30.2013, 02:45 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Online, mostly because I'm impatient. Streaming sites that actually license the anime are more common these days (as in, they exist)... but when I started watching anime the only way to get the anime I wanted right away was free and online.

Old habits die hard.

Though I am a paying member of legal streaming sites these days... so that's something?

Post last edited by fenkashi on 07.30.2013, 05:40 PM.

07.30.2013, 05:39 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Online, but if I really like a show I'll try to buy it. This makes me feel less evil. Some shows are so rare/expensive that buying them is not even a feasible option, though, in which case I just have to live with guilt.

07.30.2013, 05:43 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Online - if I had to buy everything I wanted to watch, I'd be unable to keep up with new shows or try out things that I'm not 100% sure about watching. And there's no way I could ever afford to purchase DVDs of everything I want to see. I used to have a policy of only watching the beginnings of things online, and to this day there are some series I started at that time that I've never finished. So I had to give up on that, just to be able to actually get through anything.

If I really like something or I find a good deal, then I like to get DVDs too. Sometimes though, that's really hard. After all, some things never even get licensed here.

07.30.2013, 06:26 PM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I do both. When I watch online though, I only watch via the legitimate sites that license the anime, and I turn off my adblock software so that the content owner gets ad revenue. When I can't find it that way, I usually order the DVD online or check my local libraries. The shows that I really like to rewatch, I buy the DVD.

Funimation is the main website that I go to, but it might be USA&Canada only. It posts a lot of its material to Youtube too, so you can check there on their channel. Aniplex is another one, although they don't have as much. If they don't allow users from outside of North America, it might be because somebody else has the rights to the show where you are. You can try to find out who that is and whether they'll let you watch for free on their website.

Post last edited by Mush on 07.30.2013, 11:37 PM.

07.30.2013, 11:36 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

I didn't know people could pay to be a member, I guess that helps the owner. I just want more on TV, I love putting in a DVD or Blu Ray and sitting down to watch a good ole film. I do know though, some you can't find on DVD, so I guess online would be the only feasible option.

07.31.2013, 03:25 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Online, because I'm evil and poor. Mostly both.

As surprising as it sounds, there isn't a lot of ways for me to actually buy anime besides online. The last time we had a major local distributor, it was so fubar I'm amazed they even survived that long.

We have an anime channel on cable, but my dad doesn't subscribe to it, and I don't watch kiddy stuff, Shounen Jump anime or censorship.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.31.2013, 04:15 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Koda
Ohmu

We don't have any on TV, I just buy from Amazon, Ebay. I used to buy from HMV, but all my local stores are shut. Luckily the stores near my Dad are still open, and I am going in a few weeks, plus it's my 18th soon (hoping I get some).

07.31.2013, 02:13 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks