QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - How do you watch your ghibli movies?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions How do you watch your ghibli movies? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Umfrage: How do you watch your ghibli movies?
Japanese audio without subs
Japanese audio with subs
Your language with or without subs
Other
Results
Author
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  How do you watch your ghibli movies?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What audio do you watch your ghibli movies in?

I used to only watch in English, but then Only Yesterday is only in Japanese, and i thought it was so great to watch it in Japanese with subs, so now i only watch in Japanese with subs.

08.13.2011, 02:33 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Japanese with subtitles works for me...

I feel more comfortable with it that way for some reason. I seem to get the emotion given in the original language than in an English dubbing. Just doesn't quite seem right, you know!

08.13.2011, 02:47 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

English with subs.

08.13.2011, 08:07 AM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watch Ghiblis in English dub, but all other anime in Japanese with subs. Guess I always trust the Ghibli films to be dubbed well.

My Anime List

08.14.2011, 10:33 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watch Studio Ghibli films both subbed and English dubbed. They are both good for different reasons. Hearing them in their original language sounds more natural, and hearing them in English is lets you simply watch the movie without having to read subtitles.

08.14.2011, 04:11 PM  
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I always watch my ghiblies with japanese audio and finnish/swedish/english subs. I'm just used to read the text in movies, perhaps because here in Finland usually only movies for younger children are dubbed (and even they come to the cinemas in two versions, subbed and dubbed)

08.16.2011, 09:02 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I prefer to watch them in Japanese without subs. Some films, though, are more difficult for me to comprehend than others, so I have no choice. Of the Ghibli films, Nausicaa has been the hardest to understand.

08.20.2011, 11:03 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
supertrf
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by supertrf Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I have not been here for few months.
I'm too busy recently...just for preparation of Toefl and Sat because I want to go to study in American university.

I watched all the films of Ghibli in Japanese with Chinese subtitles.
Though I have learnt some Japanese, however, my listening hasn't been so good to watch a entire film!
So I can only watch Chinese subtitles.

Also, I think I could only watch Japanese original edition of the film so that I can know the true meaning the films want to convey.

同光!
俺は宮崎駿監督のアニメーション映画が大好き!
スタジオジブリの映画が一番!
えど、アニメとライトノベルはお宅の精神食品が!
日本の文化は最高だ!
I love Chinese culture, Japanese culture and USA culture!
And I think animation is my best enjoyment in which Miyazaki Hayao's movie is the best!

08.21.2011, 10:16 AM supertrf is offline   Profile for supertrf Add supertrf to your buddy list Send an Email to supertrf Homepage of supertrf
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Always Japanese with subtitles. I guess you could call me a purist, as I just can't stand dubs, especially for a film where I'm already used to the original voice actors.

08.22.2011, 11:23 AM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
ja
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.14.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ja Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

English with subtitles....

Why so much stress?
Don't you have gains to get?
We all do, even you!
And the more you seek
The more you find, then
Love, night and rain - life is good
So try to luck and kill the pain
Tell me, do you always think you have no worth?
Find it in yourself!

08.22.2011, 03:13 PM ja is offline   Profile for ja Add ja to your buddy list
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

English. I dont apreciate what I dont understand and tbe Japenese way of speaking throws me off with/without subtitles as I'm unnacustomed. And I sometimes recognise actors to, which makes me real excited.

08.29.2011, 12:42 PM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by I-B4-E THUG
English. I dont apreciate what I dont understand and tbe Japenese way of speaking throws me off with/without subtitles as I'm unnacustomed. And I sometimes recognise actors to, which makes me real excited.

Yeah i totally understand. Sometimes it just feels weird to me when it's in Japanese. And it is cool hearing some american actors. Like the guy from everybody loves raymond in porco rosso lol.

09.13.2011, 08:06 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mine all depends on the mood I am in, if i can't be asked to keep up with the subtitles i will watch the english dubbed version but i try to watch it in its mother toungue for a better effect.

10.27.2011, 07:25 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Japanese with English subs. Mainly because the English dubs aren't good. And it just sort of sounds better in it's original language.

Check out my music:

10.27.2011, 11:41 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To add to my precious post, I think the reason that I feel more comfortable with the original Japanese dialogue and the English subs is that I spent enough time in Japan to pick up some of the language (mostly forgoten now) and I can still 'feel' the emotion, so to speak, of the characters through their dialogue. Now that is not to say that I haven't watched some of the movies in English, but as I said before, it just doesn't feel right.

10.28.2011, 10:06 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks