QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Describe your first time
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Describe your first time Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Describe your first timePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ummm.. I mean the first time you saw a Ghibli movie, of course. For me it was the Love and Anarchy film festival here in Helsinki, in the autumn of 2001. I hadn't seen any anime feature films before that, just a few episodes of Pokemon.I had never heard the words studio Ghibli or Hayao Miyazaki before that.It was my third year at university, the year I startedto go to alternative film festivals. I can still remember sitting in the movie theatre, being amazed at what I saw. I have been taken to all kinds of cultural events since I was little and have learned to recognize movies etc with special meaning to me. That autumn evening, without having seen any previous anime, I knew that the movie I was watching, called Princess Mononoke, would have a special meaning to me. Everything in it amazed me; the story, the characters and so on. That evening, I fell in love with a wild forest girl, a love that I still feel, just deeper. Almost ten years on, I've watched practically all of Studio Ghibli's movies, but Mononoke hime is still my favourite, because it was the first I saw. I watch it pretty rarely nowadays, because I need to focus so deep when I watch it and rarely have time, but every time I watch it it's like seeing an old friend. I'm as amazed as when I first saw it and fall in love with the movie again and again. (Gah, I'm almost crying at my computer when I write this)

03.23.2011, 08:09 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I first saw Spirited Away on Cartoon Network years ago, when Toonami had a month dedicated to Miyazaki's films. Actually, I was only able to watch about thirty minutes of Spirited Away. But it didn't really matter. There were WAY too many commercials anyways.

During this month of Miyazaki, I managed to get glimpses of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, and Princess Mononoke. My parents didn't let me watch Mononoke because I was around 12 or 13, I think. I completely missed the other two films due to various trips we made that month.

Then, when I was fifteen, something made me remember Spirited Away. I searched it up, watched it on YouTube (yes, YouTube), and I was hooked. Now I'm eighteen, and I've seen all of Studio Ghibli's films and a lot of Miyazaki's and Takahata's old work from the 60's and 70's.

Having grown up on 90's Disney animation and Tom and Jerry (my grandpa loves that show), I was stunned to see something like Spirited Away. But now that I think about it, I think it was My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service that had a bigger impact on me. Both of those films are just so beautiful and honest.

I would continue talking about how Joe Hisiashi, Miyazaki's film composer, inspired me to start playing the piano again after years of not even touching it, but I think I've written enough.

Holy cow I need to stop typing.

03.23.2011, 09:54 AM  
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was very young when I saw Whisper of the Heart, and I can't really recall what I thought of it! Dad just knew we were watching a lot of anime around this time (namely Tenchi Muyo, kind of shocking considering our age, Snow Fairy Sugar, and Angelic Layer). Now mind you we are a Christian family and when me and my sis were younger they were VERY protective over what kind of material we watched, so "Kiki's Delivery Service" and even "My Neighbor Totoro" were out of the question (boo!). They've loosened up a whole lot since then though. The real first impact a Ghibli/Miyazaki movie made on me is when I saw Ponyo in theaters with my best friend in the summer of '09. I don't know how my friend got into Ghibli, but I knew she always liked them and was greatly anticipating this one, which made me eager too even if I knew nothing about them/this movie. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. A month or two later me and my sister were bribing Dad to rent more for us, the next one being Spirited Away then Kiki's Delivery Service. I really started to fall in love with his filmmaking style, there's something so pure and unique about it. I was reminded of my love for them when another friend brought over Castle in the Sky to watch at a party. That ended up being the first one I bought on DVD. And now, I'm aiming to buy them all!

03.23.2011, 04:04 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
supertrf
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.03.11
  Laputa:castle in the skyPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by supertrf Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's my first time to watch Mayazaki's movie.
When I was in Grade 3 junior high, I listened to the music of castle in the sky at first time in my English class.
Its grace astonished me so mush that I find on the Internet to watch it as soon as I came back home.
So I love it from then.

<Laputa:castle in the sky>will always be my most favourite animation movie!!!!

俺は宮崎駿の映画、天空の城ラピュタが大好きだ!!

永遠熱愛天空之城!

同光!
俺は宮崎駿監督のアニメーション映画が大好き!
スタジオジブリの映画が一番!
えど、アニメとライトノベルはお宅の精神食品が!
日本の文化は最高だ!
I love Chinese culture, Japanese culture and USA culture!
And I think animation is my best enjoyment in which Miyazaki Hayao's movie is the best!

Post last edited by supertrf on 04.03.2011, 02:05 PM.

04.03.2011, 02:03 PM supertrf is offline   Profile for supertrf Add supertrf to your buddy list Send an Email to supertrf Homepage of supertrf
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's really cool to hear! The music of Ghibli's movies is usually what I show first to friends to convince them to watch.

04.03.2011, 02:12 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
supertrf
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by supertrf Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The music of Miyazaki's works are really fantasy!
Those music are almost composed by Joe Hisaishi who is my favourite compozer.
Until now I still think the Whisper of heart is my most favourite not-Miyazaki's film of Ghibli.
I think 月島 雫 makes really great effort while 天沢 聖司 works hard and their efforts encourage me to make progress. Also I love their love story.
What's more, Amazawa's private field is great I think and I have my own one now as well!!!Just because I watched this film I started to find one and I succeeded!!

同光!
俺は宮崎駿監督のアニメーション映画が大好き!
スタジオジブリの映画が一番!
えど、アニメとライトノベルはお宅の精神食品が!
日本の文化は最高だ!
And I think animation is my best enjoyment in which Miyazaki Hayao's movie is the best!

Post last edited by supertrf on 04.03.2011, 02:23 PM.

04.03.2011, 02:23 PM supertrf is offline   Profile for supertrf Add supertrf to your buddy list Send an Email to supertrf Homepage of supertrf
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Uhh i must of seen my first when i was around 7 or younger, it was proubly princess mononke or spirited away.

04.03.2011, 03:11 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My first anime was back around 1960, 'Alakazam the Great', supposedlly taken from a Chinese folk tale (?) about a Monkey King who went on a pilgrimage after abusing his kingly powers.

My first Ghibli was Spirited Away on the TV, just when I don't know. I then saw (not necessarily in this order) Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro and Nausicaa...

Welcome to the Tavern, supertrf...

Go to the General Discussion area and start a thread to introduce yourself. We hope that you can stay around a long while...

04.04.2011, 01:32 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
supertrf
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by supertrf Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
My first anime was back around 1960, 'Alakazam the Great', supposedlly taken from a Chinese folk tale (?) about a Monkey King who went on a pilgrimage after abusing his kingly powers.

My first Ghibli was Spirited Away on the TV, just when I don't know. I then saw (not necessarily in this order) Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro and Nausicaa...

Go to the General Discussion area and start a thread to introduce yourself. We hope that you can stay around a long while...

OH!!It's also my favourite movie-'Alakazam the Great" .
Yes, well, it's really fantansy and 孫悟空(Sunwookong/Saiyuki) is great hero in every Chinese's heart.

Thank you and I'll introduce me to you, I'm coming!

同光!
俺は宮崎駿監督のアニメーション映画が大好き!
スタジオジブリの映画が一番!
えど、アニメとライトノベルはお宅の精神食品が!
日本の文化は最高だ!

04.04.2011, 02:08 AM supertrf is offline   Profile for supertrf Add supertrf to your buddy list Send an Email to supertrf Homepage of supertrf
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My first Ghibli was Porco Rosso and I bought it completely at random because I was in a shop looking for Akira and Ghost in the Shell knowing that both had inspired the Wachowski Brothers to create the Matrix - so that dates it pretty much exactly.

I saw a DVD cover with a world war one style biplane on it and being a fan of that era of warfare was curious about an animation in that setting. I saw the pig piloting it and was put off a bit as it looked like a childs story but read the back cover blurb and took a chance.

I'm glad I did. I've watched Porco far more times than either Akira or Ghost and it remains one of my favourite Ghiblis.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.12.2011, 01:52 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51

Around the same time, I remember going to a theater to watch Magic Boy. I don't remember the details, but I do remember being very moved by the story.

04.14.2011, 01:30 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My first Ghibli film was Grave of the Fireflies. It was a subtitled VHS rental--but I was unaware it was a Ghibli film. My second was Totoro that I watched on Japanese television without subtitles. Again, I had no idea it was a Ghibli. I nearly changed the channel during the opening credits because my built-in "Barney Alarm" started going off. I'm glad I didn't change the channel. When it all clicked was again on Japanese television in 2001--the NTV promotional heralding the coming opening of Spirited Away.

04.14.2011, 01:37 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
reecetard
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.02.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by reecetard Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Studio Ghibli - what the hell is that, I wondered as my uncle told me the name of the company.

I'm currently 18 years old, live in the UK, and the first time i saw a ghibli film would have been about 3 years ago. GAH 15 years wasted!!! My uncle (who is unusually only a few years older than me, so he's more of a cousin) had a massive interest in anime's, but I had never given them the time of day. He forced me to watch Mononoke...

Well, I just fell back in my seat, opened my mouth and gasped at the excellence that had been placed before me. The sheer beauty, not only in the animation but the story, characters and themes took my breath away. Not long after discovering studio Ghibli, I had seen almost all of Miyazaki's films, and a whole new world of joy was opened up to me. Not only Ghibli, but other animes such as Death note, Akira, Basilisk and many others awaited my sincere approval.

In conclusion,

THANK YOU STUDIO GHIBLI!!!

~ No matter how many weapons you may have ~
~ No matter how great your technology may be ~
~ The world cannot live without love ~

04.20.2011, 12:34 PM reecetard is offline   Profile for reecetard Add reecetard to your buddy list Homepage of reecetard
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks