QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Pokemon VS Digimon
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Pokemon VS Digimon » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: Pokemon or Digimon?
Pokemon 16 84.21%
Digimon 3 15.79%
Total: 19 Votes 100%

Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Pokemon VS DigimonPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I did a search for Pokemon and Digimon and nothing came up. This surprises me. Nowadays I dislike them both, but I grew up on them both as well. The question is: Which one do you like more?

I'd have to say Digimon. Pokemon was boring and repetitious even when I was a child. Digimon just seems to have more interesting characters and better stories to tell. What do you guys think?

03.27.2011, 07:31 PM  
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Of the anime series, I very much enjoyed both, but I'd say Digimon was better, as it had stronger, firmer plots and serious antagonists. I feel nostalgic about both though.

03.27.2011, 09:04 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I remember the early Pokemon episodes, like the first season, back when there were only 150 of them and there was something of a continuous story arc. They weren't so bad.

Digimon definitely had more serious antagonists... but somehow it made me feel like I was in a madhouse. The entire world that they were in was so bizarre, it was like a nightmarish dream. But I do remember that I really wanted to have a digimon to chat with which would follow me everywhere I went.

Post last edited by Mush on 04.01.2011, 01:00 AM.

04.01.2011, 12:59 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have to bow out of this discussion as I never remember seeing much of either of them..

I'd see the toys being given away from the fast-food shops, but that was pretty much my only contact with them...

04.04.2011, 01:38 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Pokemon. Because I am still very much involved with the tcg, and because I still believe that Pokemon 2000 is a very fine movie, or at least much better than the digimon movie, relatively.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.14.2011, 02:53 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mush
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I remember 2000! That was not half bad, nor was the first movie. But in my opinion, most of everything subsquently has been, well, trash...

(And that might be my 2000-era-self's opinion, btw, since I haven't seen it since it came out. )

Post last edited by Mush on 04.14.2011, 03:12 AM.

04.14.2011, 03:11 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I should add that if I were considering the entire franchises, Pokemon would easily come out on top.

04.14.2011, 05:29 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm afraid that Pokemon is just too tightly wound up with my childhood for me to ever consider picking another.

04.14.2011, 01:50 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have hazy memories of catching the odd few minutes here and there of some Pokemon in my youth and thinking, "Wow are these Japanese cartoons? Why is everyone just sliding stationary across the screen instead of being drawn moving?"

It put me off anime for about... oh... 25 years!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.14.2011, 02:31 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Mush
Baron

You're just picky, Saddles.

That said, Pokemon does seem to be most peoples' first impression of anime, due to its ubiquity, which is unfortunate...

04.14.2011, 04:01 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Pokemon 2000. I have fond memories of that (what kid that grew up around that time doesn't?) and I refuse to ruin them by watching it again.

And I liked the first season(s) with the original characters. Haven't paid any attention to the new stuff that keeps coming out.

I will have to pick Pokemon because Digimon was cool...but I watched Pokemon kind of religiously. xD And I think it was my first gameboy game aside from like Mario. ^^

04.15.2011, 12:34 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Pokemon hands down

04.16.2011, 06:21 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Animenewbie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 10.24.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Animenewbie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would go with digimon..BUT it was dubbed so, so, sooo terribly that it kind of ruined it. Also I found the beginning of digimon alot more interesting compared to pokemons beginning

I wont ever forget season 1 and the movie of pokemon(with mew and mewtwo), ah memories!

Ps. It's fun to watch them now that I'm older and understand ALOT more of them!

04.20.2011, 04:11 PM Animenewbie is offline   Profile for Animenewbie Add Animenewbie to your buddy list
mewgirl
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.26.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mewgirl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To me i like both because they were both part of my childhood.i started to like it at a young age and i treasure the memories watching them.

06.26.2011, 02:51 AM mewgirl is offline   Profile for mewgirl Add mewgirl to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

pokemon!!!
pokemon is wicked. i was utterly obsessed with them loved it. first movies were good too.

07.12.2011, 05:35 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't even feel that there is a doubt in my mind that Pokemon comes out on top. Having grown up adoring the show, collecting the cards, playing the games, I would say that it more than slightly formed a large portion of my interests as a child. I also actually think, opposed to Saddles, that it gave me a positive appreciation for Japanese animation. Though I didn't really understand at the time about anime and so on, shows like Pokemon and Cardcaptors gave me a love for that style of animation that has carried on until now! If Studio Ghibli was my gateway to other animes than Pokemon set me up for Studio Ghibli.

Digimon on the other hand, and this coming from somebody who originally watched it when it came out and has since seen almost every episode of every series (due to my little brother having a passion for it at one point) I really don't think it can compare. I teared up in the Pokemon movie when Ash turns to stone and Pikachu cries. And when Pikachu is being slapped by his clone. I don't think a Digimon could ever make me cry, I don't think there are as strong relationships between the characters within the show. I just don't think it has the same emotional hold on it's viewers, and as a child I remember being almost resentfully aware of it as a 'poor copy of Pokemon'.

07.12.2011, 05:59 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Oh yeah! Cardcaptors! I watched that show religiously whenever it was on. I don't think all the episodes ever made it across the Pacific though, because there were really wide gaps. I wanted a friend named Madison and I still pretend to be Sakura when I put on rollerblades, for some reason. But I think I saw Kiki's Delivery Service might have even predated that, although my memory is too fuzzy to know exactly for sure.

I completely agree with you NC - although mainly I just found Digimon too weird to really make any connection with the characters or the setting. I watched Pokemon the First Movie probably twenty times or more. But I only got to play the games when I met with friends, because I didn't have a gameboy.

07.16.2011, 10:22 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm pretty sure all the CCS eps were released in english, just not in order. But they were edited so heavily that fans didn't call it the dub version; they called it the "bastardized" version.

Can't really blame the producers really, not with so much yaoi and yuri and pedo love going on XD

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.20.2011, 07:49 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mush
Baron

Doesn't really bother me. I wonder where I could find the original ones then...

07.21.2011, 01:21 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Miyako
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.01.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyako Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I never watched Digimon.

05.08.2013, 06:34 AM Miyako is offline   Profile for Miyako Add Miyako to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks