QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Girl Who Leapt Threw Time
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General The Girl Who Leapt Threw Time Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Riotmon
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.05.09
  The Girl Who Leapt Threw TimePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Riotmon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is a movie that i came across in Neo. Now after watchin this it stole th top spot for me in many respects. Animation is brilliant and smooth. Dubbed voices are very good and in sync, and the story is quite genius.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a 2006 Japanese animated science fiction film set twenty years after the events in novel Toki o Kakeru Shōjo by Yasutaka Tsutsui. The film focuses on a high school girl who inadvertently gains the power to travel through time and begins using it frivolously to fix problems. It was produced by the animation studio Madhouse and directed by Mamoru Hosoda.

Your views and comments please =]

11.08.2009, 05:14 PM Riotmon is offline   Profile for Riotmon Add Riotmon to your buddy list Send an Email to Riotmon
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched the Japanese version, so no comment on the dub. Technically, it is quite good - the animation is well-done, music is pleasant though not really outstanding, and voice acting is good. My problem with this film is with the story. The first half, though based on a very unrealistic premise, is otherwise rooted in "real life", and it is quite amusing and entertaining to watch her learn the ways of manipulating her abilities.

And then, the film very competently builds to an emotional spike where the main character's fun tinkering with time has suddenly led to a situation where she is about to be responsible for the death of a friend. Up to this point everything was fantastic. But what happens next disappointed me, as the film seems to take a different turn to more blatant sci-fi with a future time traveller appearing in our midst and a whole story about the future societies and etc...

I think "slice of life" is an overused term but the first half felt more rooted in that kind of genre. It was less about time travel and more about how this plot device was being used by our character and affected her. The second half seemed to abandon this for more typical sci-fi time traveller stuff, which disappointed me.

11.12.2009, 03:18 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The thread title makes me think of "A panda eats, shoots, and leaves."

"The girl who leapt, threw time."

Time wasn't very happy with her, and thought the leaping beforehand was rather unecessarily extravagant.

Anyway, I've heard a lot of good things about the film, but I probably won't have a chance to see it legally until I get back home. My goodness that's a short skirt.

11.12.2009, 03:25 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Fortunately you never see up it. Fanservice rating is 0 in this movie which is refreshing.

I enjoyed this film a lot and like Theowne the first half or 2/3rds was the more entertaining with several of the repeated scenes done very well. I didn't have any issues with the revelation of the time traveller though, his presence to explain the power the girl found was logical enough considering how illogical most anime is...

But the final choices the girl had to make seemed rooted firmly into reality for me, the point being that we always need to understand the consequences of our actions.

And yes, the animation was excellent, some of the slow-motion scenes being especially well done.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.12.2009, 07:54 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, isn't it "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time"...

at least, that is what is shown in the eBay listings....
===================================

Just watched the story... very nice, I liked it...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.22.2009, 12:57 PM.

11.19.2009, 09:24 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
oldwrench
Warawara

Registration Date: 02.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You're right Husky. And this is one of the best time travel stories I can think of. It's a refreshing twist on the old time travel paradox. The characters are very believable, and the emotional scenes are first rate. The English dub is very good. The video quality is top notch. For a person familiar with the subtlety of good scifi, this is one of the best of the anime oav's, rating up there with Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in our Early Days.

12.01.2009, 04:57 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with your assessment of "...Distant Star" and "...Place Promised..." as well...

01.24.2010, 03:36 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kai12
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.16.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kai12 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My friend got me this film for christmas and i loved it =D i havent really watched much anime that isnt ghibli before xD but i thought the animation was really good

02.16.2010, 06:58 AM Kai12 is offline   Profile for Kai12 Add Kai12 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Hi Kai, that is the way it was with me...
I hadn't really watched much anime, period, except for some Ghibli and Pixar, etc until I joined the Tavern...

Now I have over a hundred in my collection alone, not counting what I have seen thru Netflix and loans from friends...

02.17.2010, 08:35 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
maggie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.25.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by maggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I bought this movie last summer after reading some good reviews for it. I'm really glad I did because this movie was very enjoyable to watch! The animation quality was beautiful

02.25.2010, 02:48 AM maggie is offline   Profile for maggie Add maggie to your buddy list
jenniferlynn.ox
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.05.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jenniferlynn.ox Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I absolutely adore this movie. "Time waits for no one" is now basically my motto in life. It's such an awesome way of looking at life: Don't let all the good things in life pass you by simply because you're not willing to get out there and grab them while you still have the chance.
I adored the whole movie. The only part that bugged me was at the end - just not knowing what will happen with Makoto and Chiaki drives me nuts, but I know it was a good way to end it. "I'll be waiting in the future" - so cute!

i've never felt so at home in my life.
jenniferlynn.ox

03.05.2010, 04:40 PM jenniferlynn.ox is offline   Profile for jenniferlynn.ox Add jenniferlynn.ox to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched this tonight and really enjoyed it. The last portion, while rather silly, didn't really bother me too much, and I still thought that it worked well and I was able to like the whole film.

03.10.2010, 06:25 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It has its comic moments too. And its angsty-relationship bits. In some ways the atmosphere of the film reminds me of Ocean Waves somehow, or Whisper of the Heart. It might be the animation style used, or the colours or the settings. It feels so much like it could be a Ghibli film.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.10.2010, 06:56 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

^ a lot of people say that. They've been saying the same thing about the directors new movie "Summer Wars" too. Somehow I just can't make the connection. I've seen both films and it just seems like there's something "missing", though they seem similar on the outside.

03.10.2010, 07:41 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't seen Summer Wars yet, although I will be this weekend. But in terms of artwork though, there's just no similarities between Hosoda's works and ghibli. For one, the character design is by Sadamoto Yoshiyuki, more famous for his works in Evangelion.

In terms of storyline, I would rather describe it as similar to Kon Satoshi's works, but much lighter. If Kon did a light movie, it would probably resemble Hosoda's IMO.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.11.2010, 03:39 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Mm, well, it's just a mood it conveys to me. Summery. Relaxing. Teenager-ish. That's the best way I can summarize how I connect 'Time' to 'Ocean Waves'.

I must make sure I catch Summer Wars.

Was 'Through Time' Hosoda's first film, or has he done others?

03.11.2010, 12:19 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Mm, well, it's just a mood it conveys to me. Summery. Relaxing. Teenager-ish. That's the best way I can summarize how I connect 'Time' to 'Ocean Waves'.

I must make sure I catch Summer Wars.

Was 'Through Time' Hosoda's first film, or has he done others?

Judging from wikipedia, Hosoda did a bit with the Digimon franchise, as well as a One Piece movie i think, but Through Time was his first real film.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

03.11.2010, 01:18 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Theowne
Baron

You can see the Digimon influence in "Summer Wars". To be honest, I didn't really enjoy most of the film.

03.11.2010, 03:35 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Summer Wars had a couple nice moments but was on the whole completely forgettable. Not comparable to Ghibli at all.

I think people are a searching a bit too hard for the 'next Miyazaki,' to the point where any fairly talented young director of animation gets slapped with the title. What does it even mean? There will never be another Miyazaki. Even if the most talented director of animation in the world tried his hardest to emulate Miyazaki, it would not be Miyazaki, and what's the point in that? I'd much prefer a talented new director with their own individual style and thematic concerns, making whatever sort of movie they want to make. Shinkai's clearly trying to do that, and while I don't think he's quite the artist Miyazaki is, he's at least an individual with his own sensibilities. It's unfair to label him the next anything, same with Hosoda.

Not to be pessimistic, but I doubt Hosoda's ability to make a truly great film. He's young and has a long career ahead of him, yeah, but Miyazaki was young when he made Lupin III, and his special talent is very apparent in that film. When Hosoda tries a touching moment, it comes across as a "touching moment," with very visible quotation marks (I'm referring pretty specifically to the "stop the tears" scene). Compare this to the effortlessly sweet scene with Lupin and Clarisse in the tower.

NOTE: All of this is referring to 'Summer Wars.' I have yet to see 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time,' so I should probably reserve judgment on the director's body of work as a whole.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 03.11.2010, 06:20 PM.

03.11.2010, 06:18 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

From what I remember of this movie, I really liked it. Would I compare it to Ghiblies? I don't think so. With Ghiblies, I get pulled in completely and I feel like a little child because of how every little detail fascinates me. When compared with Ghiblies, I'd say I watched Girl Who Leapt Through Time at a distance. Not that I wasn't into it, it just didn't have the same hold on me as Ghiblies. It wasn't as warm, maybe?

Lol, I feel like I'm saying things without saying anything.

Also, I want to watch Summer Wars sometime. I hope it isn't as disappointing as you guys are making it sound. xP

03.13.2010, 08:54 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks