QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What books influenced Hayao Miyazaki?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » What books influenced Hayao Miyazaki? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.25.11
What books influenced Hayao Miyazaki?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by lkmrg Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello! I know hayao was a big fan of Ursula Le Guin (his Nausicaa and Shuna manga is influenced). Many people compare his Spirited away to Alice in Wonderland. And Howls Moving Castle yeah is well...Howl's moving castle. So! What are some other books Hayao loved and read and was influenced by? How about manga writers? THANK YOU!

08.25.2011, 08:03 PM lkmrg is offline   Profile for lkmrg Add lkmrg to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by lkmrg
Many people compare his Spirited away to Alice in Wonderland.

I'd actually say that Totoro is more influenced by Alice in wonderland than Spirited away. First there's Mei chasing chibi totoro and her fall to Totoro's world, that's very close to Alice chasing the rabbit and her fall to wonderland. Then there's the cat bus with it's ability to become invisible and it's huge grin. The cat bus is definitly influenced by the cheshire cat in Alice. Helen Mccarthy also talks about C.C. Lewis's The cronicles of Narnia as an influence for Totoro, but frankly I don't see the Narnia influence in Totoro

Post last edited by Heidi80 on 08.26.2011, 04:44 AM.

08.26.2011, 04:43 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As I mentioned in this thread, it seems that his most dear/influential book was Saint-Exupery's «Wind, Sand and Stars» (Terre des hommes (Land of People)) (I love Saint-Exupery, BTW, and was happy to know that).

There is also this list , but I'm not sure about its meaning or relevance, I guess these are books for children (or young) that he considers "classic" or more relevant.

Post last edited by leonbloy on 08.26.2011, 07:33 AM.

08.26.2011, 07:32 AM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you leonbloy for posting that link. I've always wondered what Miyazaki's favourite books were, and now that I know, I'm really not that surprised. I like most of those books as well!

Also, there are numerous animators who have influenced Miyazaki-san. They're on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki#Influences

Post last edited by on 08.26.2011, 11:34 AM.

08.26.2011, 11:32 AM  
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I did some research for a project at school and i needed to know the answer to the question 'What books was miyazaki influenced by?' and my research came up with this;

Nausicca: Based on a Manga written and drawn by Miyazaki
Porco Rosso: Loosely Based on manga Hikotei Jidai by Miyazaki
Kiki’s delivery service: Loosely based on Eiko Kadono’s book of the same name.
Luputa – Castle in the Sky: Loosely based around the mining towns of wales and the flying island in Gulliver’s travels
Howls Moving Castle: Based on the book of the same name by Dianna - Wyne Jones
Princess Mononoke: Based on Japanese Myths
My Neighbour Totoro: Comes from Japanese folk story.
Spirited Away: Wrote the script after he decided the film would be based on his friend’s 10 year old daughter.
Ponyo: Miyazaki claims he was inspired by Hans Christian Andersons story ‘The Little Mermaid’

Post last edited by Wikidkid101 on 10.28.2011, 10:26 AM.

10.28.2011, 10:24 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Franchottoth
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.01.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Franchottoth Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yap, Totoro is good rather than Alice in wonderland. I dont like that book.

11.01.2011, 03:51 AM Franchottoth is offline   Profile for Franchottoth Add Franchottoth to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, Franchottoth...

11.01.2011, 12:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks