QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What book(s) are you reading right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

read two western novels last night while at work...
"Comanche Brothers" and another "Logane Legacy". I was sitting in my truck for over 12 hours watching over the front of a shop...

btw, nobody took the front of the shop while I was there... lol

reading a book now about two destroyers in WW!! that went thru a warp of some sort. Doesn't appear to be a time warp, per se, but a dimensional (?) warp of some sort. Interesting..

"Into the Storm" by Taylor Anderson

I have been told that there are more books in the series???
=============================
"The Fly On The Wall" by Tony Hillerman

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.30.2010, 02:34 PM.

10.26.2010, 12:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

God Bless You, Mr Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut

I actually have an obsession with Vonnegut. I just love his style of writing so much...I don't have time to explain further unfortunately because I must get ready for work D:

10.30.2010, 06:40 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Painted Ladies" by Robert B. Parker A Spencer novel...

=======================

finished "The Rembrandt Affair" by Daniel Silva

=======================

now reading a book of short western stories..
"The Golden Spurs" Western Writers of America

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.04.2010, 04:00 PM.

10.30.2010, 02:35 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

gfot the 2nd vol of 'The Destroyermen' series...
"Crusade" which I will be reading tonight at work...

11.06.2010, 02:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Let The Right One In by John Lindqvist.

It's an amazing book, and completely different to anything I've read before, but so very dark. There's lots of paedophiles, and people getting mutilated and just...odd, odd stuff. I do feel it's a book that pushes your boundaries on some pretty nasty subjects, but it balances all that with the beautiful friendship between Oskar and Eli. There's such innocence in the book, but also so much darkness that the contrast is really quite something.

I've seen the swedish film adaptation as well and it blows you away. It manages to capture the essence so beautifully. Last night I saw the American version, and welll...I'll add to that in the film thread.

11.07.2010, 07:10 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"Op-Center: Divide and Conquer" Tom Clancy

11.11.2010, 12:51 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I recently started Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Høeg. I haven't got far with it yet so I'm not sure what to say at the moment.

In the last couple of days I've also been reading Machine of Death, which is a collection of short stories centred around a machine that tells people what their cause of death will be from a drop of blood, often in a frustratingly vague manner. It's really interesting how the contributors each interpret it differently and create different worlds based on it accordingly. And it's often pretty funny too.

11.11.2010, 12:16 PM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater.

So far it's not quite as good as Shiver, but it's still pretty interesting. It's a werewolf book, which I wouldn't ordinarily read, but Stiefvater started writing it before Twilight even came out so it isn't a stupid knock-off. It's also pretty poetic sometimes, which is goodgoodgood.

11.11.2010, 08:24 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"London Match" by Len Deighton

read these a couple of days ago...

"The Unpleasant Profession of Johnathon Hoag" by Robert Heinlein (short stories)

"The Kings of San Carlos" by James L. Haley

edit:
Did some checking and I was right. John P. Clum, the main character in this story, WAS an indian agent in the late 1800's and was in charge of the San Carlos Apache Reservation for a time. The book is a novel, but based on real happenings. I enjoyed it very much...

btw, Clum was the only man to capture the Apache chieftain Geronimo at gunpoint.

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.15.2010, 12:29 PM.

11.15.2010, 12:21 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Black By Ted DeKker.

I'm hoping it gets better. So far it sucks. XD

11.17.2010, 09:18 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Now reading "Mexico Set" also by Len Deighton altho I should have read this before "London Match". ah well...

11.18.2010, 03:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Dune by Frank Herbert

I love this book so much.

I decided to read/reread the books on this list of awesome science fiction. Should be fun.

11.21.2010, 01:01 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

OMG!!!

I've read almost every book on that list!!!!

And I remember them, by title and author!!!

And that's all the way back to grade school!!!

Maybe 20 of the titles I don't recognize, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I haven't read them at one time or another...

WOW. I'm saving that site...

thanks, fen

11.21.2010, 04:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Rereading the Harry Potter series! Yessss!

I am in such a Harry Potter frenzy lately. I am almost concerning myself, but not quite.

11.23.2010, 07:52 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Yay! Kiki
Rereading the Harry Potter series! Yessss!

I am in such a Harry Potter frenzy lately. I am almost concerning myself, but not quite.

Ah! I reread the 7th book before seeing the movie. I'm working my way back to the first one. These books are so easy to read. xD

11.23.2010, 08:44 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

@Fen

I would totally reread the seventh one before seeing the movie, buuuuut I feel compelled to read them all in order and there is no way I'm waiting until I have the time to finish all seven to see the new movie. BUT I will have it read before part two.

They're so easy and so good. <3

11.24.2010, 03:45 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, fen, I CAN read upside down and backwards, a little trick I learned in print-shop classes way back in high school, The hardest letters to read that way were b,q,d,p.

(snicker), but I prefer to read my books 'in order, rather than last to first.

I find it, I don't know the word I'm looking for, odd?, disturbing?, something like that, when I read about something that has happened in a prior book that I know about. Like trying to read HP from last to first.

11.24.2010, 10:50 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Reading the 4th is the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson, "Distant Thunders". unfortunately, I think that this is the last in the series...

I have enjoyed this series very much because I can relate to the naval part of the story, which is a lot, from being an old Navyman myself...

=====================
EDIT:
BTW, I have no qualms about double-posting when there have been a few days since my prior post. I hope nobody objects and I do try to keep it to a minimum...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.28.2010, 01:26 PM.

11.28.2010, 01:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

At the same time as Harry Potter , I'm reading Now I know by Aidan Chambers. It's been interesting so far. (:

12.01.2010, 11:40 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian.

It's a little crazy. xD

12.04.2010, 10:49 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
[  «    ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks