QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What book(s) are you reading right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished "Caper" by Lawrance Sanders...

A crime novel with a rather unusual twist to the ending...

09.16.2010, 01:42 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

After Man: a Zoology of the Future

...conceptual zoology is weird. The drawings are odd and freaky. And the whole package is pretty cool.

09.18.2010, 12:50 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've actually read two books in the last two days...

"Bad Blood" by John Sandford and

"People of the Longhouse" by W. Micheal and kathleen Gear

A fictional story based on historical and archaeological knowledge of the Iroquis tribes in the late 1300s.

Apparently part of a series that I was unaware of.

09.18.2010, 10:23 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Making my way through the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'm actually kind of surprised it's such a huge bestseller; the beginning is very dry. But it picks up as it goes along.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 09.18.2010, 10:27 PM.

09.18.2010, 10:26 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
Making my way through the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'm actually kind of surprised it's such a huge bestseller; the beginning is very dry. But it picks up as it goes along.

Yes, it is a good book. I've read the whole series and seen the first movie and I enjoyed them all. Looking forward to the second movie.

09.18.2010, 10:32 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi

I quite like the slow pace. It fits the murder mystery plot. The pacing of the second one is a bit odd as it's more of a thriller, yet for a considerable length of time nothing happens. But it's great when it gets going.

09.19.2010, 08:09 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just find it odd that he chooses to start with a ten page conversation about economic mumbo-jumbo, especially since, thus far, I see no way it connects to the plot.

09.19.2010, 11:03 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"Directive 51" by John Barnes

a futuristic story (not too far) about the technical world being brought to its knees by a worldwide release of nanobots and biotes that takes place mostly in the USA, but the whole world is infected... interesting story...

09.20.2010, 02:19 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

I'd enjoy it better if it wasn't assigned reading for class.
And if i had more time to read...

09.26.2010, 04:13 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"Hermits Peak" by Micheal McGarrity

09.27.2010, 07:58 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finished The Turn of the Screw by Henry James yesterday. And today I started and finished The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark.

So now I'm up to date! Robinson Crusoe next.

10.06.2010, 02:33 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

"Dragongirl" by Todd McCaffrey

(from the Dragons of Pern series started by his mother, Anne McCaffery)

10.06.2010, 10:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just Listen by Sarah Dessens. I got it for free...without having to do anything xD so I thought it would be a waste not to read it. But god, I don't think I can do it.

Also, the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Hear about her all the time so it's kinda neat to get a better look.

10.12.2010, 05:15 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Hard Times by Charles Dickens

10.12.2010, 07:32 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

quote:
Originally posted by husky51

DICKENS! Tell me you like it...or him?

10.12.2010, 10:53 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
quote:
Originally posted by husky51

DICKENS! Tell me you like it...or him?

I am only about 70 pages into the tale so i haven't made up my mind about this one yet, but yes to the other part, I do like Dicken's work in general...

10.12.2010, 10:55 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Siddhartha... class reading... pretty interesting

10.13.2010, 11:20 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by jusomekid
Siddhartha... class reading... pretty interesting

I recall reading that many, many years ago. An English translation of the original German as I recall... Forgotten most of it by now, tho...

as for the Dickens I'm reading, up to page 205 and enjoying the story... kinda hard keeping up with the different dialogues... straight out of 1854

finished Hard Times..... woof!!!! lol

================================
read "State Fair' by Earlene Fowler
and
"The Burning Wire" by Jeffery Deaver

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.17.2010, 11:01 PM.

10.14.2010, 12:21 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

"Gidget" by Frederick Kohner
This story about a girl surfer in the mid-fifties was based on the actual life of Kohner's daughter. In fact the daughter made a public appearance down in the San Diego area a week or so ago at a surfing venue, which is how I found out about the book. There have been a number of movies and Sally Fields played 'Gidget' in the TV series. I hadn't known that it was a real person...

I found the book quite interesting as it was written fron the girls perspective. Really quite open for the mid-fifties.

Yes, it was written by her father, but it still surprised me with the openness of the book. And I was around back then.... Only an 11 YO, but still!!!

I will seek out some of the later Gidget books.

FYI:
The nickname 'Gidget', as given to her by the guys at the beach, is explained in the book as being a combination of a short (midget) girl+ gidget! Never knew that before...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Phantom Warrior" by Fred Grove (an old western)

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.24.2010, 04:17 PM.

10.24.2010, 12:56 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just finished "Saving Francesca" by Melina Marchetta. I would have thought that it would have been better seeing as Marchetta wrote Jellicoe Road which was fantastic (it won a Printz and everything), but it was still pretty good.

10.24.2010, 02:28 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks