QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions What book(s) are you reading right now? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"There was a Little Girl" by Ed McBain

A mystery interspiced with the poem...

There was a little girl
And she had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead...

When she was good
She was very, very good
But when she was bad she was horrid!

04.16.2011, 07:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"The 47 Samurai" by Stephen Hunter

a mystery involving a Japanese war sword. It is quite interesting, so far. Well researched for sure... I am about 1/3 through and the true '47 Samurai' haven't been mentioned yet...

btw, I have a pic on my wall titled "The 47 Samurai", really an interesting story in itself...

EDIT:
I was wrong on the title, it was "The 47th Samurai"

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.19.2011, 11:34 PM.

04.18.2011, 09:50 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Serenity\'s_Blade
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.18.11
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Serenity\'s_Blade Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Im currently reading the Earthsea series. exelent set of books.

04.18.2011, 12:56 PM Serenity\'s_Blade is offline   Profile for Serenity\'s_Blade Add Serenity\'s_Blade to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Great subject for your first post, I must say. Welcome to the Tavern!

04.18.2011, 12:58 PM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Yes, WELCOME to the Tavern, Serenity's _Blade....

We all hope that you will stay a long, long while and become part of the Ghibli Family....

Again, WELCOME!!!

04.18.2011, 01:37 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome, indeed.

I have a list of books...there are lots on it that I read as a kid and don't really remember now. So anyways, I'm reading all of them...

First up is Catch-22.

Oh and I'm in the middle of the Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart. Just need time to get to the end. xD

04.19.2011, 02:35 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
supertrf
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by supertrf Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome!
I'm also new...

Now reading:
1984 by George Orwell

同光!
俺は宮崎駿監督のアニメーション映画が大好き!
スタジオジブリの映画が一番!
えど、アニメとライトノベルはお宅の精神食品が!
日本の文化は最高だ!
I love Chinese culture, Japanese culture and USA culture!
And I think animation is my best enjoyment in which Miyazaki Hayao's movie is the best!

04.19.2011, 09:54 AM supertrf is offline   Profile for supertrf Add supertrf to your buddy list Send an Email to supertrf Homepage of supertrf
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm reading Cancer Ward by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. So far it's okay, though it can always be a bit tricky reading Russian prose since even when translated there's lots of references to Russian phrases or names or places that don't really mean anything to foreign readers. Still it's interesting.

04.20.2011, 05:48 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"Kilrone" by Louis L'Amour
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
4-24-11

"Chancy" by L'Amour
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
4-25-11
"How the West Was Won" by L'Amour

Now reading "Hull Zero Three" by Greg Bear (a s/f)

==========================
sigh, got so engrossed in reading that I forgot to pick up my paycheck again.....

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.26.2011, 12:58 AM.

04.23.2011, 01:30 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Morning Star by Andre Schwarz-Bart

I'm so excited...and I've only read the jacket so far. xD

...I really need to stop starting new books before I finish old ones.

04.26.2011, 05:02 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Working my way through my Louis L'Amour collection...

"Conagher" and "Rivers West" the last two days... He is an easy read, but realistic IMO

============================
finished "Killoe" this morning... also by L'Amour
in the future, if I don't mention the author, it is by L'Amour

==============================
Just finished 'True Grit' by Charles Portis
The recent movie follows the book more than the first movie did, IMO book was first published in 1968...

Note:

I am not reading a lot just to be posting in here. I really do read these books and I am blessed that for many parts of the day, even when working, I am able to read quite a lot.
One job site ,when I take breaks and another where I sit and watch for others to come by and chase them off. While sitting I can read, watch tv, DVDs, did I mention read???, do crosswords. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the sitting and watching part... lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.30.2011, 11:15 PM.

04.30.2011, 07:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Rossdude
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.13.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Read Robert E. Howard short stories

05.01.2011, 04:29 AM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
husky51
The Old Guy

"Westward the Tide" by L'Amour

05.01.2011, 10:30 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden which is really really really good.

05.02.2011, 07:17 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"The Case of the Postponed Murder" by Erle Stanley Gardner...
A Perry Mason mystery
=============================
read two Ed McBain books on Tuesday and Wednesday...

"Another Part of the City" and "The Last Dance"

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.04.2011, 11:57 PM.

05.02.2011, 10:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
ja
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.14.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ja Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Brida - Paulo Cohelo...

Why so much stress?
Don't you have gains to get?
We all do, even you!
And the more you seek
The more you find, then
Love, night and rain - life is good
So try to luck and kill the pain
Tell me, do you always think you have no worth?
Find it in yourself!

05.14.2011, 08:37 AM ja is offline   Profile for ja Add ja to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"Triple Jeopardy" a trilogy of Nero Wolfe short stories...

And I DO mean OLD!!! From 1951 and 52...I was still living in Canada then...
=====================

an update...

Yes, our reading tastes change, which has been brought to mind by my reading of the above book. I finished it today and I must say, when I first read Rex Stout I was totally enamoured of his work. Now, however, I had to kinda force myself to finish what I had started...

It was, of course, extremely dated, but consistant with the time in which it was written... Now days, a man does NOT go into a barber shop, check his top coat, hat, vest and tie and be lathered up for a shave and then have a haircut. Most shops don't even offer a shave anymore, at least not around where I live. This was just one point I make to show the tales are dated. A great deal of the stories contain these datings and I grew tired of them.

'nuff said, he is still a great author, but I have apparently moved on in my tastes...

aigh, such is life...
============================

read a manga, "Freeway"
now starting on "The Iron Dragon's Daughter" by Micheal Swanwick

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.14.2011, 11:21 PM.

05.14.2011, 10:13 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Yay! Kiki

Ahhh, I love Memoirs of a Geisha! The film is awesome too.

I just read The Little Prince, the children's story, on a whim whilst I was waiting for my mum to come home. I swear it's one of those books that no matter how old you are every time you read it it holds a new charm.

05.15.2011, 07:44 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Read since Monday...

'Night Probe' by Clive Cussler

"Mojave Crossing"; "Sackett's Land"; "Borden Chantry"; and "Heller with a Gun" all by Louis L'Amour...

EDIT:
"The Quick and the Dead" also by L'Amour

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.05.2011, 01:14 AM.

06.04.2011, 09:25 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
quote:
Originally posted by Yay! Kiki

Ahhh, I love Memoirs of a Geisha! The film is awesome too.

I just read The Little Prince, the children's story, on a whim whilst I was waiting for my mum to come home. I swear it's one of those books that no matter how old you are every time you read it it holds a new charm.

They are both so good~

And The Little Prince! That is such a good story. I have the deluxe unabridged popup book, it is the best thing in the world.

Right now I think I'm going to keep rereading the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman.

06.05.2011, 03:56 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
[  «    ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks