QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Interesting Pom Poko Discovery...
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Interesting Pom Poko Discovery... » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.25.10
  Interesting Pom Poko Discovery...Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by maggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was skimming through my Pom Poko DVD today when I noticed something interesting...

I'm not sure if this has been noticed before, but take a look at the tanuki at the far right in both pics...

What the...?

03.09.2010, 02:53 AM maggie is offline   Profile for maggie Add maggie to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

someone maybe realized that it was a girl Tanuki and not a boy????
and the two little ones, their bellies look like crossed eyes...

03.09.2010, 08:36 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
maggie
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by maggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51

Haha, you're right XD

03.10.2010, 08:05 PM maggie is offline   Profile for maggie Add maggie to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Gender-swapping Tanukis! Awesome!

Nice find, it's quite rare to find inconsistencies in most Ghibli films.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.11.2010, 12:12 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha, how did you catch that?
Puzzling. I wonder if it's a unnoticed error or a hidden joke?

03.11.2010, 06:28 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would guess an error but its hard to see how it could have happened as the cels are traced over each other frame by frame... It would have to be quite a gaff by the artist. Does the Tanuki retain female gender for the rest of the scene did you notice?

If its a joke I don't see what the joke actually is since a swap of genders doesn't link to anything else in the film and on its own its not making any particular point.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 03.12.2010, 06:38 AM.

03.12.2010, 06:37 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51

Those are their legs, lol.

But that sure is a very surprising find. You'd think that after years of watching these movies, all the easter eggs would have been found and discussed to death.

Or maybe we've been to focused on Whisper. I know I have

Way to go, maggie.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.12.2010, 12:00 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, Tanukis can shift their shape, why not switch their gender around?

03.12.2010, 12:51 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'll have to watch it again now to see if there's an element of morphing going on or if its a 'there one frame, gone the next' deal.

03.12.2010, 04:11 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
maggie
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by maggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by leonbloy
Haha, how did you catch that?

I just noticed that the right end Tanuki's shirt looked different in the next scene. So I went back a bit a realized that it had switched genders.

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I would guess an error but its hard to see how it could have happened as the cels are traced over each other frame by frame... It would have to be quite a gaff by the artist. Does the Tanuki retain female gender for the rest of the scene did you notice?

It stays female, even at the end when it shows them dancing in a circle.

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I'll have to watch it again now to see if there's an element of morphing going on or if its a 'there one frame, gone the next' deal.

It's a 'one scene to the next' thing. It starts with the Tanuki group dancing towards Shoukichi and Ponkichi, then Shoukichi and Ponkichi dancing, then back to the group.

Post last edited by maggie on 03.12.2010, 08:30 PM.

03.12.2010, 05:29 PM maggie is offline   Profile for maggie Add maggie to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ah, perhaps two different artists worked on the scene, one before the cut, another after.

03.12.2010, 08:42 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
maggie
Calcifer

^ That's exactly what I was thinking.

Post last edited by maggie on 03.12.2010, 09:17 PM.

03.12.2010, 09:17 PM maggie is offline   Profile for maggie Add maggie to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I allso noticed something intresting in pom poko:
(i dont have pom poko at the moment so i had to get these off youtube)
Kiki

Porco

totoro

02.12.2011, 01:32 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@hopexx5 - Also Taeko in that third screenshot. Love that sequence in Pom Poko. It's so mysterious and even haunting. Definitely the one moment with the most cameos in all of the Ghibli films.

02.12.2011, 05:17 PM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks