QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - 5 cm per second re-release
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » 5 cm per second re-release » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.13.11
  5 cm per second re-releasePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So Bandai and Crunchy roll are re-releasing Makoto Shinkai's 5 Centimeters Per Second on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/5-Centimeters-Second-Makoto-Shinkai/dp/B004O05NN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299447238&sr=8-1

I still have the ADV release that is selling now about $113.00 new, which is just plain dumb. So if you missed out on the first release you can pick this one up at a normal price.

The movie itself isn't that good in my opinion. All the adds say he's "The New Miyazaki" but he doesn't even come close. His best work is his first 40 minute film "Voices from a Distant Star". His style is great in all his films, the animation is spot on. But the stories come off as a little boring and drawn out.

5 Centimeters Per Second is still worth checking out though and it is a beautiful film.

I hope they re-release "Voices from a Distant Star" and "The Place Promised in out Early Days" (That title's a mouth full) because even though I own the discs I seem to have misplaced the DVD boxes. I am quite partial to DVD cases.

03.06.2011, 05:39 PM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm a bit annoyed that it still hasn't been released in the UK. It's finally coming out later this month though. I enjoyed Voices and Place Promised, so I'd definitely like to see this. I'd say the "new Miyazaki" comments are unfair, not because it's overrated, but just because it's a very different style. I like the atmosphere of Shinkai's films; it's quite unlike other anime I've seen.

03.06.2011, 05:46 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Rossdude
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh just to add to this, if you are a Shinkai fan, cruchyroll is doing a Shinkai month or something and I think they will be playing his new film "Children who chase lost voices from deep below" (try saying that three times fast, seriously what's with the titles), but I'm not sure. Pretty sure though that they will be showing his first three films so check out crunchyroll.com if you're up for it.

03.06.2011, 05:46 PM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
Rossdude
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@arren: yeah his films are different from Miyazaki's. Certainly, but overall (I think anyway) his films are just more boring. I mean I still like them. "5 cm" is a bit slow for my tastes, but I really love the animation and the color use.

Post last edited by Rossdude on 03.06.2011, 05:49 PM.

03.06.2011, 05:49 PM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
Rossdude
Calcifer

Oh woah, I just figured out how to quote people. Better late than never I guess.

03.06.2011, 05:50 PM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@rossdude and others...
generally, when we add something to our posts on the same day, we just edit the first one...
unless it gets to full...

03.06.2011, 09:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Rossdude
Calcifer

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
@rossdude and others...
generally, when we add something to our posts on the same day, we just edit the first one...
unless it gets to full...

Oops, my bad. Sorry about that.

03.07.2011, 09:36 AM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

no prob, I'm not a Mod... we generally don't double unless it's been a while since you've posted in a certain thread like Eggs or Husky's Poems.... etc...

I enjoyed 5 cm, partially because I had to watch it a few times to really get the connections.... The more I watched it, the more I got into it, so to speak...

03.07.2011, 11:34 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
maggie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.25.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by maggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I never got to see this movie. By the time I became aware of it, the price for the DVD had already inflated way too much. I'll definitely be picking up the re-release when it releases at the end of April.

03.07.2011, 01:21 PM maggie is offline   Profile for maggie Add maggie to your buddy list
furs
Totoro

Registration Date: 09.23.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by furs Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The subtlety of 5 cm per sec is a work of art. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it suits my taste.

03.13.2011, 10:43 AM furs is offline   Profile for furs Add furs to your buddy list
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I never got to see this, and now I really want to.

03.15.2011, 06:46 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
Pixie
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.17.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pixie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If I remember correctly, this was a beautiful film. Think I'll buy it. ^^

03.23.2011, 01:51 PM Pixie is offline   Profile for Pixie Add Pixie to your buddy list Send an Email to Pixie
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is a very beautiful film. You can almost turn the sound and subtitles off a Shinkai film and just get lost in the intense and delightful visuals. His background scene settings are stunning and he has a wonderful eye for details and lighting.

His lighting effects can be a little over-contrived though but perhaps he is saying "in our youth all sunsets were this gorgeous and all train rides with girls we were falling in love with were that magical."

Like Miyazaki you can see that he incorporates a good deal of his personal experiences from his youth into his stories which is why his scenes of young love are so heartrending.

I find 'Place Promised' to be his most satisfying work, mostly because it speaks to me about events I experienced as a teenager. There is a scene in that, when Hiroki Fujisawa attends school in Tokyo and his story is covered in a monologue of about ten minutes length describing his loneliness and sadness after the unexplained disappearance of Sayuri, the girl he loves. That monologue, set against a wintry landscape in the middle of a city teeming with millions of people, yet this young man is so alone, is one of the most powerful ten minutes I've ever seen in anime. The voice acting is perfect.

While I enjoyed 5cm per Second I found its stories to be too sugary and more extreme even than Place Promised, though again the visuals are worth it alone.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.12.2011, 02:11 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think Shinkai is very talented when it comes to creating a snapshot of a particular mood or emotion - such as loneliness or regret - and communicating that atmosphere very well with his beautiful visuals.

When it comes to telling complete stories or building characters, I would rank him far below the likes of Takahata, Miyazaki, or Satoshi Kon. Nor does he seem particularly versatile.

Post last edited by Theowne on 04.13.2011, 01:05 AM.

04.12.2011, 10:50 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I imagine he has one emotion, one episode, one experience he is exorcising by creating these stories. Let's hope he gets rid of his demons and moves on, because he certainly has the talent to do stunning things given fresh material.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.13.2011, 08:28 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks