QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Girl Who Leapt Threw Time
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » The Girl Who Leapt Threw Time » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The film was very fast paced, put it that way. Comparable to the new Evangelion films.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.15.2010, 11:56 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Karawekhime14
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.02.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Karawekhime14 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

have to disagree with fenkashi, i felt very pulled in maybe i'm the only one....

04.03.2010, 11:08 PM Karawekhime14 is offline   Profile for Karawekhime14 Add Karawekhime14 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

gasp!!! you disagreed with fenkashi!!! oh, no!!!!

hahahahahaha! joking with ya.
that's one of the nice things about our little corner of the net. We can disagree because we are from all over the world and have many different viewpoints and age and cuktural differences, which is kinda cool.... We all love Ghibli, tho and that is the glue that binds us together...

gotta watch out for that sneaky Mod, tho.... (user name starts with an 'R'....) he has a 'Godlike' complex because he's a Mod and feels that he has unlimited powers over us all...... just be nice to him, speak softly and he'll usually go quietly away.... lol

I recognize all of your figures in your signature...

04.04.2010, 12:05 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Pixie
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.17.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pixie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmmm...I felt pretty pulled in with this anime too. These kind of films always make me feel sad because they're not real.

04.04.2010, 09:27 AM Pixie is offline   Profile for Pixie Add Pixie to your buddy list Send an Email to Pixie
Sencha
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.10.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sencha Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I had feeling that i would really enjoy it even before I watched it, so I saved itlater, to watch it when i feel depressed or annoyed. I have watched it couple of days ago. Very refreshing! I just loved it! But, I have to say it is not as good as Studio Ghibli ones, but still amazing! The characters have so much emotions that I actually fell in love with them! Now have to look for more animes to watch when I am sad.

04.20.2010, 02:06 AM Sencha is offline   Profile for Sencha Add Sencha to your buddy list
Pixie
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.17.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pixie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I disagree when you say that it's not as good as Studio Ghibli animes but that's because they're so different that I don't think you can compare them. For instance, you couldn't compare an indie horror with a blockbuster horror in terms of resources because one has a tighter budget than the other so they'll each go about things in different ways, even though they're essentially the same thing. Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't think it's possible to compare The Girl Who Leapt Through Time with any of the Studio Ghibli collection because the styles both studios have adopted are quite different.

04.21.2010, 07:14 AM Pixie is offline   Profile for Pixie Add Pixie to your buddy list Send an Email to Pixie
Karawekhime14
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.02.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Karawekhime14 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes its like comparing apples to oranges.
Though the art in The Girl who Leapt through time is good, and really cleanly done its not as detailed as say Spirited away, its a bit more mainstream maybe?
Its one of my favorite non-Ghibli Animes

04.21.2010, 11:28 AM Karawekhime14 is offline   Profile for Karawekhime14 Add Karawekhime14 to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I bought this movie a few weeks ago after reading these good reviews, but just watched it now. It really grabbed me, strongly. I had to watch it in two sittings, because I got pulled away to do something else.

The main character kind of annoyed me, because she was so irresponsible, selfish and cold-hearted sometimes. The worst was how totally indifferent she was to Takase being bullied, even though she was not only partially responsible, but also able to fix it for him.

Still, I really got pulled into this one by the end, emotionally too. I think I fell in love with the supporting cast, and by the final scene, I could even sympathize with Makoto. (I just can't argue when they're crying from their nose).

The guy from the future thing didn't bother me at all. I think Saddletank is right that it's about the most logical explanation that could be expected, and I appreciate logical explanations. Theowne's review had me expecting the plot to turn from "slice of life" into some sci-fi adventure, but actually I didn't feel any shift in the theme or emotion of the movie, even at that point. It kept its focus.

Although, even now, I don't get the deal about the painting. Or why that big cumulonimbus cloud gets such a prominent focus all the time.

Yay... good movie time for sleeping!

Post last edited by Mush on 06.13.2010, 04:11 AM.

06.13.2010, 04:10 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, her two friends she plays baseball with as a small casual thing is really cute, as is the sub-plot with the younger girls trying to pluck their friends courage up to confess to one of them.

I also just loved the animation and the style of the artwork, the colouring, it was very pleasing on the eye. As a rather small point I also liked that despite the girls acrobatics you never see her knickers, which could so easily have cheapened the film down, but the director made a decision not to do that, which was very wise I think.

The flaws of the main girl's character make her and the story more believable; that she isn't perfect rings true and makes me again think of Whisper of the Heart.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.13.2010, 07:08 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I think Saddletank is right that it's about the most logical explanation that could be expected

Assuming that part of the plot had to be explicitly explained in such a manner. The film Groundhog Day never did it and did not suffer for that decision.

To put it another way, it might have been logical after the fact, but as far as the plot progression goes, it is IMO a Deus Ex Machina and a bit of a non-sequitur compared to the first 2/3rds of the film, which I thought were excellent. (As the ANN review puts it ). I certainly think it was an unsatisfying resolution to a emotional, climactic moment (the dangerous cycling).

I have no problem with others enjoying the film, I'm not quite so argumentative, so YMMV. Just thought I should comment since my name was mentioned.

Post last edited by Theowne on 06.13.2010, 09:09 PM.

06.13.2010, 11:36 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
BethanyRuth
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.29.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BethanyRuth Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, I agree with Saddletank.
(sorry I'm new to this, so Im not so good at posting haha)
The story boards/artwork used beautiful colouring andmade the Characters really stand out.
I also enjoyed the characterisation of the main girl, even though sometimes I felt like slapping her

12.29.2010, 08:50 AM BethanyRuth is offline   Profile for BethanyRuth Add BethanyRuth to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

BethanyRuth...

You should goto the Gen Discussion and post an introduction for yourself so that we know who you are...

At any rate, Let me be the first to welcome you to the Tavern... Hoping that you will stay around a long, long while...

I too enjoyed the movie, once I got an idea of what was happening... Watched it a second time to be sure ... lol

01.05.2011, 12:53 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Rossdude
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.13.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I quite liked "Through Time" and "Summer Wars", maybe even more than I enjoyed Makoto Shinkai's works (they are beautiful, but a bit too slow for my taste, save "Voices". "Through Time" and "Summer Wars" were paced just right for me. Of course Ghibli is in a league of its own and "Through Time" and "Summer Wars" (as well as Shinkai's pieces) contain too many anime cliches to really compare with Ghibli. Ghibli films are something else than anime and don't follow design elements or story elements that the anime mainstream considers the norm. That's why they are so great. But still "Through Time" and "Summer Wars" are great pieces that deserve some looking into.

02.13.2011, 06:57 PM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
maggie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.25.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by maggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, I really want to see Summer Wars! It releases tomorrow, so I'll be buying it sometime soon.

02.14.2011, 02:10 PM maggie is offline   Profile for maggie Add maggie to your buddy list
Rossdude
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I preordered from Amazon. Should be coming in today ^_^

02.15.2011, 10:25 AM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Isn't this movie made by some of Ghibli's moviemakers? I think I've heard something about that.

Anyway, I went to the GREAT music and moviestore FAME in Amsterdam last weekend and bought some new animé and Ghibli movies <3
Also bought this one, because I thought it had something to do with Ghibli basically haha.

So what do you think about it? Is it good? I've heard it is quite famous

02.22.2011, 10:20 AM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's very famous as it's another retelling of a popular story. It's the only version I've seen, and I really enjoyed it. And if you like it, I recommend seeing Summer Wars too, if possible.

02.22.2011, 01:24 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Rossdude
Calcifer

Highly recommend "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". Color choices are excellent. Smooth, fluent animation. Likable characters. I gave it another watching this past weekend and there were a few things that felt odd to me. Events that deal with the guy who throws the fire extinguisher make up a lot of these oddities. Like why is he being bullied SO MUCH for his accident in the cooking room? And why does he proceed to be such a jerk to his saviors (Makoto and Chiaki). Then he snaps and turns most of his violence on the people who stuck up for him? Seems a little extreme to me.

Also i am a little confused about the ending.

But it's a fun movie. Very noteworthy.

02.22.2011, 05:09 PM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
Rachi
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.21.11
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rachi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Only just started to stray away from Studio Ghibli and try other anime films and i must say I was impressed with "The Girl Who Leapt through time". i even fell in a little in love with her guy friends. great animation and the dubbing was sound!!!!

03.21.2011, 08:04 AM Rachi is offline   Profile for Rachi Add Rachi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

GASP!!!!

Stray away from Ghibli!!!!

DOUBLE GASP!!!!

LOL, only funning with ys, Rachi...

Any and all comments are more or less welcome in the appropriate areas and, as you can see, we even allow for other anime topics, as this one... IMO, it was a delightful little piece and I will watch it again, along with my Ghibli...

What you might so, Rachi, is go to General Discussion and introduce yourself, how you came to see and like Ghibli, etc, whatever you want to reveal about yourself...
We're all a pretty mellow sort in here and always welcome newcomers.

(PS, don't let the others know, but I'm the oldest one in here...... hee, hee, hee)

Anyway, Welcome to the Tavern...

Watch out for the cake, it's kinda creepy...

03.21.2011, 04:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks