QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Mount Tama adventure *WARNING: PICS OVERLOAD*
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Mount Tama adventure *WARNING: PICS OVERLOAD* » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Mount Tama adventurePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi hi! I have a little story to share.

So it's summer break for me, and I thought a shinkansen trip to Tokyo would be a good way to spend it.

A while ago, Saddles sent me a PM:

quote:
if you ever get the chance to go to Tama and look around the streets that inspired 'Whisper of the Heart' and you're able to get me some photos I'll worship you forever!

I thought this was a great idea, but it also seemed pretty unlikely that I'd have any chance to go. Even if I did visit Tokyo, Tama is pretty far away - and there's no famous landmarks there, so it wouldn't show up on any tourist maps.

Plus, everyone I asked said, "Why would you want to go to Tama? There's nothing there."

That can be a tough question to answer.

Well, anyway, the suggestion stuck in my head for a long time. By the time that my trip to Tokyo rolled around, I'd resolved to visit Tama, however far away and difficult it might be.

Luckily, Wikipedia gave a pointer: It seems to be set around Seiseki-Sakuragaoka station, on the Keio line. I checked my maps, and the Keio line went right to Shinjuku station - just a few stops away from my hotel!

My travel buddy (not a Ghibli fan) wasn't so keen on going off to some Tokyo suburb, so she went to spend the day at Yokohama instead. So I set off alone on my mission - which is basically the way I like to set off on missions anyway.

I'd just have to keep my Japanese skills sharp and my navigational wits about me.

It's a pretty long train trip to Tama. But I've found that getting anywhere in Tokyo takes a long time, so maybe it's not as far as it seemed.

A word to the wiser-than-me: Leave your bags at the station locker, because Tama is a hilly place.

Anyway, here's Seiseki-Sakuragaoka station.

My first instinct was to be guided by my (rather vague) memory of a fourteen-years-old animated movie guide my way. Fortunately for me, I found a highly detailed map outside the station:

That means that this was the intersection that Shizuku crossed chasing Moon:

Post last edited by Mush on 08.03.2009, 09:17 AM.

08.03.2009, 09:04 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

BEWARE the many photos!

The library might have been fictional, since I couldn't find it. But, oh my, Tama has a lot of staircases! It's a good thing I was feeling pretty genki. I went up and down all of them at least once, just to see the view.

08.03.2009, 09:05 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My sincere apologies to those whose bandwidth will be exceeded as a result of my actions...

Streets and houses:

08.03.2009, 09:06 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Fortunately, it seems like Tama isn't all "Concrete Road".

I kind of feel like I'm violating some kind of important forum rule...

08.03.2009, 09:07 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Meow!

I don't think they have a lot of foreigners visiting Tama. I passed a couple of (very good-looking) young guys while I was walking. After going a little further, I stopped and turned around to see what they were suddenly talking about. They had their cell phone cameras out. ^^||
I should have stopped to take photos of them, but I didn't think fast enough. Instead I just waved and posed for the photo, and they started laughing in that caught-red-handed way.

A woman stopped in front of this shrine, and bowed, hands clasped together. Then she went on her way.

(Does it look as familiar to you as it does to me? )

I reached the top of the hill. It was refreshingly cool up there, with a light breeze and shade, and the view was really nice.

Post last edited by Mush on 08.03.2009, 09:11 AM.

08.03.2009, 09:08 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Walking down the road, it did seem pretty familiar. I checked the photo of my map. The Earth Shop's roundabout was close!

I knew that the shop was fictional, of course, so I was just expecting to go there, take photos of the scenery, and then head off to find something to eat. But at the corner, I found a remarkable little bakery...

Well, alright; I won't take credit for finding it. I actually spotted two guys (different than the earlier ones) get off a motorcycle and take photos of the shop display before going inside. That struck me as a little odd, so I went to check it out.

There was a Mimi poster in the window, and a Baron statuette inside. I was among friends

The baker was a really kind old lady who apparently was even more into Whisper than me! She even had an autographed poster of Shizuku and Seiji, signed by the artist. We chatted a little bit in Japanese and I bought some tasty snacks. She invited me to eat on the little wooden table out in front of the store. "Mimi Suma" was carved into the surface in Japanese characters, surrounded by a little cloud. The guys came out too and, though it was a tiny little table, they sat down too. We munched on various treats and they asked me (rather redundantly, I think) if I'd seen the movie.

We talked quite a bit after that, though I always had to ask them to repeat themselves, and sometimes I'd just smile and nod. I'll get the hang of this eventually...

The old lady brought out a notebook for us to write a note or doodle in. I started to write, just as another lady was entering the store. I was only on my first kanji, but she nearly tripped - "You can write in Japanese?!"

Hehe.

Anyway, the guys zoomed off on their motorcycle and I eventually left too, to keep exploring the area. The view from up here was really as good as it looks in the movie - although I didn't have a balcony to enjoy it from. I went down another staircase, where to my great surprise, I met a stray cat.

Feeling a little bit like I'd stumbled through the looking glass, I tried to follow it, but alas, this cat was way more agile than Moon. It had no trouble losing me.

08.03.2009, 09:09 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's amazing Mushka, so many of those photos I look at and I see Shizuku coming down the stairs or Seiji cycling round the corner... wow. I envy you. ^^'

My Anime List

08.03.2009, 09:17 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Fortunately (hee hee), there's no such rule about uploading too many pics All the same, you could have put up a warning in the title itself.

In fact, I think I might want to add this in my website, if youll permit me. Trouble is, Geocities is going down in a few months, so I'll need to find a new host before that.

But still, I didn't expect to see a map for the MOVIE itself. I mean, wow, shows how much the town really rpides itself over their involvement with the movie. It's too bad you couldn't have taken a photo of the baker, I'm sure she would have been really thrilled.

Also, the library DOES exist, but not where it was in the movie. That is to say A library exists in the town, but is unrelated to the movie and its library.

By the way, there was a documentary when the movie was released, with a walkthrough of the locations similar to yours. A close copy of it can be gotten here, and you can see a lot of other areas you may have missed out. Or probably torn down due to renovations and stuff.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.03.2009, 09:32 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Phantasmagorical.

quote:
I went down another staircase, where to my great surprise, I met a stray cat. Feeling a little bit like I'd stumbled through the looking glass, I tried to follow it, but alas, this cat was way more agile than Moon. It had no trouble losing me.

*has stupid grin on face*

08.03.2009, 09:55 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Mush
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
*has stupid grin on face*

What? Did I miss something? Why are you smiling? Tell me, tell me!

quote:
All the same, you could have put up a warning in the title itself.
Oops, yes; I meant to, but once I posted the first post I found I couldn't edit the title. Thanks for doing that for me!

Sure, you can put these pictures up on your website. And you're right, I should have gotten a photo of the baker... I didn't, because I wasn't sure if she'd be comfortable with me taking a photo of her (and subsequently posting it on the internet, of course). But now it occurs to me that I actually do know how to ask permission in Japanese. Oh well...

08.04.2009, 05:18 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
HataZaki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.10.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HataZaki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow you are so lucky! Thanks for posting the pics. Hopefully I will go there one day.

08.04.2009, 07:34 AM HataZaki is offline   Profile for HataZaki Add HataZaki to your buddy list Send an Email to HataZaki Homepage of HataZaki AIM Screenname: - YIM Screenname: -
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Howdy Mushka!
I didn't even know you were in Japan!
This definitely looks great and sounds like a wonderful experience. It reminds me of the suburb i live in in Kyoto, Yamashina-ku. The way there would be small shrines near the forests, things like that.

I love it when you get to talk to random people in Japan and you just chat away. I had this great experience where I went to a laundromat, and the owner start talking to me about her worries about japan's youth. Quite surreal moment.

Anyway. How long are you still going to be there?
I'm in japan from the 20th of August, and it would be an awesome experience if two tavern members met on the other side of the world, in Japan.

PM me about it, in case it could work out. I think it would be really great.

EDIT: I just gathered that youre not actually stationary in Tokyo, as I will be. I'm taking a weekend trip to Kyoto at some point to visit friends and that. If thats closer, that might be better. Either way, it would be great if this could work out!

Post last edited by Loscil on 08.04.2009, 10:03 AM.

08.04.2009, 10:02 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A wonderful photo series... Thanks, Mushka...
It kinda remninds me of the voayges I used to take when I was living in Japan back in the mid-60's...

I'd get on a train and just travel until I was at some place I had never been before and get off and just start wandering around. I'd usually end up in a bar or restaurant and start chatting with the people around me altho my Japanese was not very good and likewise their English. Had some memorable conversations, though, lol... Wish I had been more into taking pictures, darn it....

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.04.2009, 03:21 PM.

08.04.2009, 03:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Envy is a really serious sin; one of the seven deadliest, so I shouldn't allow it to fill me up so, but boy am I envious of you.

This one is such a lovely picture. I get goose bumps looking at it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.04.2009, 10:32 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

O-M-G!

All in capitals because wow. These pictures are so brilliant. Each one makes my head go off thinking of a particular scene playing out. And that map is the cutest thing ever. ^_^ *hugs you crazy* Thanks for sharing!

08.05.2009, 01:39 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
DreamSequencer
Warawara

Registration Date: 04.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DreamSequencer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HOLY...
I am going to Mt Tama. Non negotiable.

08.05.2009, 02:39 AM DreamSequencer is offline   Profile for DreamSequencer Add DreamSequencer to your buddy list Homepage of DreamSequencer
phenolphthalein
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.30.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by phenolphthalein Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

THE BARON I WANT ONE!!!! That place is amazing.....

08.05.2009, 10:41 AM phenolphthalein is offline   Profile for phenolphthalein Add phenolphthalein to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ahh, awesome. XD Now I gotta tell Kylie and his friend to take me there.

08.05.2009, 01:18 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
turniphead1
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

AARRRGGHHH!! I had no idea that the film was so closely based on real settings!! And I can't believe there's a map too!! Wow..

I need to go travelling.

Clicky

08.05.2009, 05:35 PM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by turniphead1
AARRRGGHHH!! I had no idea that the film was so closely based on real settings!!
Really? Wow. It's possibly the single-most talked about Ghibli subject on the forum - how real WoTH is.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.05.2009, 10:23 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks