QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Whats Youe All-Time Favorite Anime/manga?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Whats Youe All-Time Favorite Anime/manga? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Roxas_Someone
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.21.09
  Whats Youe All-Time Favorite Anime/manga?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roxas_Someone Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Id say mine is either Death Note or Ouran High School Host Club!

Post last edited by Roxas_Someone on 02.21.2009, 08:38 PM.

02.21.2009, 08:36 PM Roxas_Someone is offline   Profile for Roxas_Someone Add Roxas_Someone to your buddy list Homepage of Roxas_Someone
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Id say that it is too hard to pick one imo. Ill just give my floating top 5 with no particular order.

Mushishi
Higurashi
Elfen Lied
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
H20 ~ Footprints in the Sand ~

honorable mentions are probably both halves of Ef, Kanon, and Code Geass.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

02.21.2009, 08:44 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

JinRoh hands down for anime, unless you're not counting movies, in which case... probably Ai Yori Aoshi. I just love the romance for that show.

Manga, most probably Mimi wo Sumaseba

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.21.2009, 08:55 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I always think of Jin Roh, Ghost in the Shell and Akira as the big three of anime movies, but I really cant put one ahead of another. Although I would probably say GITS would be number 1 IMO.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

02.21.2009, 08:59 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Uh... Evangelion. I mean... duh...

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.21.2009, 10:16 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I find it hard to 'enjoy' Evangelion. It is still very good, but its more of something I want to watch when im in a philosophical depression as opposed to something that i could draw some enjoyment from.

Click for Gallery^^

02.21.2009, 10:18 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
furs
Totoro

Registration Date: 09.23.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by furs Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

..Evangelion as well..

02.22.2009, 08:07 AM furs is offline   Profile for furs Add furs to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nabari no Ou, to state somewhat the obviousness. *yay for the manga and it's incredibly grateful author ^^ I love her Valentines picture she drew even though she was talking a month break*

Because... once you hit ch. 40 and above, I swear you can't put it down much. o__o;; She's gotten better at drawing and story telling, Kamatani has.. and her characters develop well. ^^ I admit, I did think it was generic at first, but somehow found myself hauled to it and became addicted. I'm not much for ninjas, but with this series... <33

The other series is xXxHOLiC. I swear, I haven't loved a series like this before. O.O But you know I like paranormal. ^^ Also, I got a crap load of friends into MushiShi with one DVD. XD I'd get the whole series but... I can't find the DVDs anyore. -.- I might have to order them in from the bookstore.. *cheaper!! <33* My friend owns the manga, and the manga and movie for HOLiC.

Also, Natsume Yuujin-chou. I am in lovelovelove with anything the mangaka makes. (weird, I forget how to spell her last name, but I think her first name is Yuki. o.o ) I found the anime of this before the manga, even though I was familiar with her series. I hadn't gotten to touch this title yet. And when I saw the opening animation and trailer, shrieked "OH MY GOD, IT'S HER WORK!!!". Glad the anime became a somewhat success. X3 I think she might be even more popular than Kamatani Yuhki. Another supernatural series that's episodic. The enka first ending makes me cry, and the second season STILL makes me cry. Makes me wonder why, there's nothing worth crying over. D:

02.22.2009, 11:09 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've not read much manga but Kare Kano was superb, beginning as something light and fluffy and cute and ending as something dark and traumatic. Very very good.

Uplifting too, it made me feel good and even encouraged when I'd finished it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.22.2009, 11:18 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My favourite anime series has been Honey and Clover for quite a while now. I don't think I can name a single manga series I liked more than the rest.

02.23.2009, 01:30 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 05.15.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by 1976 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Howl's Moving Castle, just ahead of Spirited Away

Two brilliant, beautiful and amazing stories, there are many brilliant anime but these two just do it for me

Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I think that the chances of finding out what's actually going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say, "Hang the sense of it," and keep yourself busy. I'd much rather be happy than right any day. ~ Slartibartfast, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

05.18.2009, 05:18 AM 1976 is offline   Profile for 1976 Add 1976 to your buddy list Send an Email to 1976
twirble
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.15.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by twirble Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here is a second fave for Nabari No Ou (the Manga)
There is just something in how the characters are drawn; Kamantani draws the most beautiful characters I have ever seen. Then there is the intelligent use of symbolism and subtext in her work, while she maintains and atmospheric world to entertain us with an originally laid out adventure story.

The anime is excellent as well, but when it strays from the manga I became sort of disinterested. I would say Last Exile was my favorite anime and Nabari No Ou my favorite Manga.

05.18.2009, 06:05 AM twirble is offline   Profile for twirble Add twirble to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Miyrru
I find it hard to 'enjoy' Evangelion. It is still very good, but its more of something I want to watch when im in a philosophical depression as opposed to something that i could draw some enjoyment from.

Okay, Evangelion is a mystery to me. I've read about how its supposed to be really philosophical and rich with symbolism and stuff like that, but I've seen more than half of it now and it seems like a goofy, light-hearted show about kids in giant robots. Every once in a while there is a dramatic moment, but nothing I would really call philosophical or symbolic. Does the show suddenly become much more serious and philosophical halfway through, or is everyone picking up on some deeper level of meaning that is escaping me? Does the penguin symbolize mankind's awkward waddling march toward its doom?

05.18.2009, 09:49 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

@Orphic, the last half is extremely dark. It does a total 180 with its pacing and style. Just keep watching, the last half is why the show gets the attention that it does.

I guess ill update my all-time favourite anime: Lucky Star. Best show ever

Click for Gallery^^

05.18.2009, 11:37 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
DreamSequencer
Warawara

Registration Date: 04.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DreamSequencer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My all-time favourite anime is Ghibli, and my all-time favourite manga is the Nausicaa series.
It's the only one I've read!

Aside Ghibli, I suppose I like Revolutionary Girl Utena, despite its convolutedness.

05.19.2009, 06:40 AM DreamSequencer is offline   Profile for DreamSequencer Add DreamSequencer to your buddy list Homepage of DreamSequencer
oldwrench
Warawara

Registration Date: 02.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Asking for a favorite is like asking my favorite kind of pie.......

I have a long list, but I'll start with one that really got me involved, Haibane Remei, an excelent story of frendship and forgiveness.

As for Evangelion, it is one of the classics of psychological anime, and almost nobody gets it. The story isn't about giant robots, or the destruction of earth, or NERV, or Asuka, or Rei........ it's about Shingi. The entire story is actually written as Shingi's memories, as flashback........ It's Shingi's view of the world. The story is about Shingi's coming of age, of his self discovery. Everyone and everything else are just support for that story. The series actually ends at episode 26. The end of Evangelion was just tacked on when the fans who didn't get it, insisted Ano write the end to the story that Evangelion was based on. The End is just written to satisfy those people. If you want to see a more accurate and complete version of the background story that Evangelion was based on, watch RahXephon.

05.19.2009, 12:20 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by oldwrench
I have a long list, but I'll start with one that really got me involved, Haibane Remei, an excelent story of frendship and forgiveness.

Great series. Definitely my favorite, of the few I've seen.

05.20.2009, 05:20 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
thornraven
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thornraven Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I dont think i have ever seen an anime i could say that i really didn't like. Some of my favorites are howls and princess mononoke. I love the simple joy in totoro but outside of ghibli i loved ghost in a shell. Elfen lied was amazing and death note is very fasinating. I think howls will always be my fave tho. I even loved the book.

"If Hell is other people, then purgatory is airports" Shadow in american gods by neil gaiman.
"May all your bacon burn" calcifer

10.05.2009, 03:41 PM thornraven is offline   Profile for thornraven Add thornraven to your buddy list
Sazaneyes1991
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.31.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sazaneyes1991 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Gotta be 3x3 Eyes, although the new dub is terrible and the old dub is very difficult to get your hands on, as it it not very well known and so is very niche-market.

11.01.2009, 01:53 PM Sazaneyes1991 is offline   Profile for Sazaneyes1991 Add Sazaneyes1991 to your buddy list Send an Email to Sazaneyes1991
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Favorite anime movie.. My Neighbor Totoro
Anime Series... Samurai Champloo

06.21.2010, 06:34 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks