QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - autograph
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions autograph Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.15.08
  autographPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by gatchaman Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello all i have a question.
I just got hold of a autograph from miyazaki but i would like your opinion if it is real or not.
I sent it to Studio ghibli but got no reply.
thanks allready.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/gatchaman195/P1010013-1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/gatchaman195/P1010012-1.jpg

09.15.2008, 07:16 AM gatchaman is offline   Profile for gatchaman Add gatchaman to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My gut feel is that it's bogus--but I'm not positive. While Miyazaki's handwriting is pretty illegible to me (I've tried to make sense of his notes in some of the storyboards), this signature makes no sense in Japanese. It was written by somebody who has a good familiarity with Japanese cursive style, however, and might actually be his if he were trying to sign in English or some other writing system.

09.15.2008, 07:50 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My question is, what manga/comic is that? At first glance I immediately thought "Pazu and Sheeta" then saw they were on a ship at sea rather than in an airship but the second view made me think "Sheeta" again at once.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.15.2008, 08:06 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
phenolphthalein
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.30.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by phenolphthalein Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thats conan, future boy.
Not laputa

09.15.2008, 08:29 AM phenolphthalein is offline   Profile for phenolphthalein Add phenolphthalein to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
My question is, what manga/comic is that? At first glance I immediately thought "Pazu and Sheeta" then saw they were on a ship at sea rather than in an airship but the second view made me think "Sheeta" again at once.

If you haven't seen Future Boy Conan, you're missing one of the best Miyazakis ever. When I first saw it, the first thing that came to my mind was "Laputa," but it's 26 episodes of a great story. Miyazaki got a lot of his inspiration for Laputa from this series.

09.15.2008, 04:38 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dballred
If you haven't seen Future Boy Conan, you're missing one of the best Miyazakis ever. When I first saw it, the first thing that came to my mind was "Laputa," but it's 26 episodes of a great story. Miyazaki got a lot of his inspiration for Laputa from this series.

I second Dballred. Conan is essential for a good understanding of Miyazaki's later work, and is just an all-around masterpiece (and it's the source of my username too ). It's unlicensed in most (all?) Anglophone countries, so here's a link to all the episodes, fansubbed, on crunchyroll.com: http://www.crunchyroll.com/group/CRSerie...i_Shounen_Conan

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Post last edited by Konan on 09.15.2008, 08:53 PM.

09.15.2008, 08:52 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
gatchaman
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.15.08
  nPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by gatchaman Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thats good and all but i am still not a step further if it is the real thing or not.
The seller was Italian and he said he got it while he and Miyazaki was in the Usa.

09.16.2008, 01:48 AM gatchaman is offline   Profile for gatchaman Add gatchaman to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by gatchaman
Thats good and all but i am still not a step further if it is the real thing or not.
The seller was Italian and he said he got it while he and Miyazaki was in the Usa.

Well, you're in luck. When you mentioned USA, I remember I had a video that showed him signing autographs in the USA. It's his signature. It still doesn't make any sense.

09.17.2008, 07:50 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
It's his signature.
Wow, that is fantastic! A manga signed by Miyazaki himself!

When you say it makes no sense do you mean the kanji itself is nonesense? I suppose most signatures are like that. Mine is just a squiggle, no way could you see my name in it, so I do not see why Japanese signatures should be different.

Post last edited by Maho_Fushida on 09.17.2008, 09:51 AM.

09.17.2008, 09:51 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Maho_Fushida
quote:
It's his signature.
Wow, that is fantastic! A manga signed by Miyazaki himself!

When you say it makes no sense do you mean the kanji itself is nonesense? I suppose most signatures are like that. Mine is just a squiggle, no way could you see my name in it, so I do not see why Japanese signatures should be different.

It's not Kanji--that would have been easy. It has a couple of recognizable Japanese phonetic "kana" characters and the rest looks like purposefully-written gibberish (or maybe Ghibli-ish?). Furthermore, the recognizable phonetic characters don't match up with his name.

09.17.2008, 02:14 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well I tried digging up every search clues I got, but I couldn't find any picture of his autograph. The only things I found are his doodles of Totoro and himself as a pig.

And like dballred said, the signature itself doesn't make sense.

So unfortunately, gatchaman, unless someone else has better luck in finding an actual picture of his autograph, we can't authenticate that for you.

I can however, recommend you to the Nausicaa.net's ghibli mailing list.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.18.2008, 08:30 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Darn that Lepka!

Check out my music:

09.21.2008, 09:23 AM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks