QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Should the forums have music on their pages?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Site Related » Suggestions & Bug Reports » Should the forums have music on their pages? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.17.08
  Should the forums have music on their pages? Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think it would be awesome.
then I wouldn't have to pop open a new tab and go to my playlist.

08.22.2008, 02:38 PM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No bad idea, and one that probably isnt happening regardless. Im not sure how much we can actually get changed with the fourm, but I think the general consensus is that its all good as it is now. Though, I wouldnt mind if I ever get the chance to try and make a fake page for this fourm with some ghibli art and the whole nine, but anyways...

i think that music on any website that plays automatically is just dumb. Most people listen to their own music and then have to mess around and close of things. Its just annoying imo.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

08.22.2008, 02:59 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Shawn
Ohmu

Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not if you embed something. Like a playlist. You have to click it to play it.
And if you want to embed, it gives you the proper coding to do so.
I can give you guys the link to the playlist website if you are interested.

08.22.2008, 08:14 PM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Music on web pages stopped being interesting about ten years ago. If this were a musician's page, sure.

08.29.2008, 09:29 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Shawn
Ohmu

Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

And 10 years ago all we could put on websites were 3-bit MIDI's.
Now look what we have.

08.30.2008, 01:26 AM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You do realise how big music files are, don't you? Bandwith isn't cheap. Large images already put a strain on websites with medium traffic, let alone music.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.30.2008, 03:48 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Shawn
Ohmu

Go look at the art thread or bishonen discussion thread and tell me that all those pictures take up way too much space. If they keep posting them like that (Very large pics BTW), then we should have no problem putting music on here.
Hell if you guys would let me I'd do it myself.

08.30.2008, 08:09 AM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Go look at the source of those pictures and tell me if they are hosted by us.

D00d, those pictures are hosted elsewhere. Imageshack, deviantart, photobucket, all those other places. NOT here. The bandwith used is from those OTHER websites, not ours. We're not the ones paying for it. FYI those websites literally pay thousands of dollars a month for the bandwith.

Have a cookie. And a crash course on how the internet works.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.30.2008, 10:15 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Overall, I agree with Roar...

If I want to listen to music, I prefer to listen to my CD's, tape cassettes or phonograph records... (you know, looks like a BIG CD)

Actually, lately, I haven't been listening to much in the way of music. I've been laughing at old "Laugh-In" shows... from 68-73, I can relate to those years...

OK, oK...I can ALSO relate to dancing the 'BOP' and the 'Continental' in the mid fifties... sigh...
we actually had dance classes during PE (called gym class back then), girls sitting in their dresses on one side and the boys in their slacks and button shirts on the other side. Couldn't just sit it out, we were made to participate...

Then came the 'Twist' !!! No more having to learn how to hold onto a girl while dancing... (big sigh)

A couple of years later, I missed that... lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.30.2008, 02:30 PM.

08.30.2008, 02:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah husky and roar are right.

it would take up so much space
you could have a song list with heaps of songs but everyones tastes are different.
so there really wouldn't be much of a point in doing it.

08.31.2008, 03:39 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Shawn
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Go look at the source of those pictures and tell me if they are hosted by us.

D00d, those pictures are hosted elsewhere. Imageshack, deviantart, photobucket, all those other places. NOT here. The bandwith used is from those OTHER websites, not ours. We're not the ones paying for it. FYI those websites literally pay thousands of dollars a month for the bandwith.

Have a cookie. And a crash course on how the internet works.

Look, what I am thinking of is embedding something from another website that hosts it. Playlist.com. It's free.
Go check it out.
AND when you embed it, it doesn't play automatically, so people will have a choice if they want to listen to it or not.
YOU GUYS WON'T PAY FOR IT IF YOU EMBED IT FROM ANOTHER SITE!

08.31.2008, 01:11 PM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

but it's really not neccesary to have a play list here.jeez
it's ok to propose all these changes , but really mate it's not neccesary, everything is hunky dorey.
and you can't just ask roar and uo for changes just because in your opinion it would be better.
they need to think of the needs of the many, and as i said earlier "why fix something thats not broken. everything is sound and awesome.

if i want to listen to music i go to other sites and play it.

08.31.2008, 08:45 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by Shawn
Look, what I am thinking of is embedding something from another website that hosts it. Playlist.com. It's free.
Go check it out.
AND when you embed it, it doesn't play automatically, so people will have a choice if they want to listen to it or not.
YOU GUYS WON'T PAY FOR IT IF YOU EMBED IT FROM ANOTHER SITE!

You know, there hasn't been a serious blown-up argument in a long while here, and I'm not about to let that happen.

Number One, Shawn, go read up ALL your posts in this thread and point to me ONE HINT about linking from a third-party website.

Actually, don't bother, because I'll tell you: You didn't. At all.

Your IMPLIED message was to embed a playlist on OUR webpage which already contains music, which further IMPLIES that the music is hosted on OUR server space. Not once did you ever even suggest about linking from other servers.

Number Two, and this is where it gets downright criminal, Shawn, is that unlike linking to external websites for videos or pictures or music, the playlist would simply play the music without even leaving this page, without even VISITING the host site. Not only is that considered stealing bandwith, it's infringing copyright laws. It's bad enough for people's music to go online to be heard without paying, it's even worse for someone else to use it on their website without permission from either the composer or the host website.

And don't talk to me about how people embed youtube videos in posts, because that is infinging copyright laws already, and why a lot of forums ban it.

Just because we don't pay for it doesn't make it okay. Seriously, take a crash course on how the internet works. And by that, I mean how the internet community works as well.

This thread is official declared closed, and further discussion on the topic will be clamped down immediately.

09.01.2008, 08:34 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks