QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  421  422  423  424  425  426  427  428  429  ...    »  ]
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by captain george
quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
LL: Still unemployed. Sigh.
And i live in a city where unemployment is quite low, i can't imagine how much harder it'd be in other places in the world.

Half my country is emigrating to yours so there's a fair chance someone Irish is keeping you out of the job

hehe, is it it ironic that my ancestors are irish ?

03.02.2012, 01:48 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Made a new friend. And just had a really good bagel. A cinnamon bagel it was, toasted and buttered, with a nice cup of tea.

LL: Eh, have to tidy my room... Have a friend coming over tomorrow, which will be nice.

My Anime List

03.02.2012, 03:04 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ahh man, my goal was to make a new friend today. D: Well, I made contact with a few people. There was a girl going into medicine who had really cool rainbow shoe laces and a Korean girl who looked kind of lost. XD I usually stuck around the two of them.

HL: Went to an open house at my future university. Everything is really close to one another! So no need for a car (except if I want a job in the city). The dorms for the places I applied for are super nice (and tiny). I felt awkward being the only one really who had already been given acceptance to attend and will be. Not that others weren't accepted, they just hadn't chose a school. It was the only place I applied for.

I like how the church is non-traditional and anyone of any religion can use it and the dining hall isn't so hard. But I didn't check out all the food for what I can eat. The gym area is as big as my high school. XD Which amused some. During the time we were supposed to be checking out potential dorms, since I'd already chosen mine, I spent most of my time petting a dog from one of the houses.

LL: One of the students was being rude and my mom wasn't too pleased with him either. He didn't realize there were us in front of him. :/

There's also students coming in from high end and private schools. Not that I mind that, but their parents were concerned the school might not be hard enough for them and how it'll affect their grades. Seemed the people from the university spoke up against that.

03.02.2012, 10:21 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

[/QUOTE]
hehe, is it it ironic that my ancestors are irish ?
[/QUOTE]

Slightly, bad government by the british led to mass emigration to all parts of the world from the irish about a hundred and sixty years ago. Bad government by the irish is doing the same now....

HL: Got drunk
LL: Got drunk

03.03.2012, 08:18 AM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My ancestors were of English and Irish blood. :B And a few others (French, Scottish, etc).

WL: My mom is worried I'm going to forget I'm white. She's said this a few times. I just stare at her weird. OK, so I like other cultures. My boyfriend is Asian. I also fit in better among Asian girls. I don't really know how to respond to her saying this. Um, yeah, so I'm white. So what? Of course I'm not going to forget my "roots". But I also don't want to be subjected because I like other cultures and other people. I wouldn't say she was being racist. My mom isn't. Maybe just a bit close minded about things. But why must I be proud of my race? I've never said any other race was better than another. o_O And she's worried for some reason when I go off to university that I'm just going to surround myself with Asians (she was probably joking on this part).

I think the other thing is she's probably sad since her grandchildren, if I marry my boyfriend, won't really look like me. I came to that realization the other day a little sadly too. I hope they might a little, but all the half Filipino children I've seen who live here don't look half. D: And one of my favourite singers also is. He has paler skin and a few of his father's facial features, but otherwise is very much like his mother.

03.03.2012, 02:59 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My son-in-law is Arabian and the children have a distinctly Arabian tone to their features, some more that others. That is not to say that there isn't also a White bit to their features as well...

And guess what, Arabs are Asian's... lol Not what most people think of when referring to Asians, but Asian all the same...

LL:
laptops won't work at home... GRRR!

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.03.2012, 03:51 PM.

03.03.2012, 03:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
My son-in-law is Arabian and the children have a distinctly Arabian tone to their features, some more that others. That is not to say that there isn't also a White bit to their features as well...

And guess what, Arabs are Asian's... lol Not what most people think of when referring to Asians, but Asian all the same...

LL:
laptops won't work at home... GRRR!

Yeah, I know they are. XD It took awhile for that to sink in. It wasn't until my boyfriend mentioned they were Asian that I understood. Most people here think Asia is a country.

I also have a friend who is half Thai, with mostly white features. But I've never seen what her mother looks like. It's just that most half Filipinos don't always look half to me. XD But it's varying. One of the actresses I like is half, and I didn't realize that. haha Bruno Mars is half but he looks a lot. lol For some reason, whenever people see him, they think of my boyfriend.

LL: I'm not feeling well. :s And I've been left with my sister's dog.

HL: So many ads for Arrietty on TV!

EDIT: Have to get my mom to check more into loans. :B I hope it can wait until April, because I think I get told what sort of room I will be getting by that time. She doesn't want to until I'm told what room I'm in. >.<; I didn't do a good job at looking for scholarships this year, but I know a lot for next. Really hope the loan can at least cover over half.. I think my mom will be OK with the rest and I'll be paying interest.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 03.03.2012, 06:24 PM.

03.03.2012, 05:28 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was under the impression that arabs, living in the middle east, are closer to africans than asians. Especially when the only thing separating them is a few miles of water.

LL: Nine hours of lecture. Nine. My eyes...

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.04.2012, 01:05 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller

LL: Nine hours of lecture. Nine. My eyes...

OUCH!!!

As for the Africa, you are probably right racially, but I was referring to the continental aspect...

The reason, genetically, is that brown eyes and black hair are the dominent genes, at least as far as I remember from my old biology classes, and blue/green eyes and blonde hair are the recessive genes.

But to be honest, with my eight grandkids from my daughter, I never really thought about how dark or light any of them were or are. It just never occurred to me and I still don't think it makes any difference... To me at least... lol

03.04.2012, 02:15 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Hmm, good point. D:

Husky, your daughter has had eight children?! o.o To me, that's a lot. I was suprised enough when my boyfriend told me his father had six siblings and they all had spouses, and his mom has three siblings and they're all married too. And then there's all the cousins... There's a lot of them too... o.o

LL: My sister's dog wouldn't stop barking at me for over half an hour before bed. I was so tired so my dad took him away.

I still think the costs of tuition for university in America is awful. I was talking about it to my friend from there. It costs me less to go to university with all costs included than it does for their tuition if they're an out-of-state American. Out-of-state? Why the heck do they charge you a whopping extra just for being from a different state? That sounds pretty ridiculous. I've seen that for a few provinces here, but it's not like doubled like it is there. o_O;

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 03.04.2012, 10:18 AM.

03.04.2012, 10:14 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I find it odd that all the people from the Middle East to eastern Asia are all just referred to as Asian. It's such a broad term that it doesn't really mean much. When I think 'Asian' I think of those with like, Chinese type features, not of more Indian/Pakistani-looking people. I suppose 'oriental' covers east Asia but there isn't really a comparable term for those for the Middle East.

HL: Yay, I got paid. Also, we brought my keyboard down from the loft yesterday, so it's been nice having a play on that for the first time in ages.

LL: I haaate my work.

My Anime List

03.04.2012, 12:34 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  cultural differenrences are treasuresPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

it is about 3 weeks that i am acquainted with studio ghibli but in these three weeks i have learnt some of the most valuable lessons of my life

1.There are still people in this world who are really thinking positively for a better future so do not lose hope

2.never never ever judge of any genre of art as better or worse.
almost all of them have something great

3.thinking differently is not bad if that brings good to other people

4.it is possible to make your culture look better in front of the world. you just have to work hard and make your work good enough. then the people will follow you.

5.Do not ever ever think that your language is bad just because it do not have a good number of literature and movies. search you will find many elements in your nature and in your folklore. if you forget these two thing then you will be a rootless man.

6.family and relationship is one of the most important elements of human. so grip it tight when you are having your worst nightmare.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

03.04.2012, 02:16 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

All very good points, saviour, thanks for sharing them... If you have the feeling that your English is not very good, you should see my Pakistani... lol

LL:
I just learned the fact that I am older than a Zamboni!!!!
The info was in a comic strip and I checked it out on Wiki and it is true....

WAAAAAH!!!

lol

HL:
saw The Lorax yesterday and it is sunny and warm today...

03.04.2012, 05:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

LL: Upsetting my boyfriend. Not really the most pleasant of things. My mom held me up and wouldn't let me go talk to him. So he thought I was ignoring him and went to bed. I woke him up, which is what he would do to me. But he's not happy when he's tired and just only makes me.. cry. :B

He's just upset since I promised him a phone call, but my mom held me up just when we were going to. Also, it's straining on him if he hasn't seen me in over two weeks. He's going to have to get used to that. When he finally did call, I pressed the wrong button to pick up the call. =__=; And so he got cranky and went to sleep.

I hate how I am so bad at technology I cannot even remember how to answer my own cell phone...

03.04.2012, 11:11 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@FFF

Little one, it happens to me all the time. I go to pick up a call and while opening the phone, I sometimes inadvertantly press the wrong button and voila! One missed call...

Just call me fumble-fingers... lol

HL:
Went to dinner with a lady friend of mine... She was mildly arguing with me as to who was going to pay for the dinners and I told the cashier that if she didn't take my card and allow me to pay for the meals then I would tell Kathy on her (Kathy being the head manager of the restaurant... A kissing friend of mine). Needless to say, I won and got to pay... lol

By kissing friend, I mean that is how we greet each other...

03.04.2012, 11:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I know. XD But he wasn't too happy after I did that, since I woke him up..

Then he ranted about stuff. :B He apologized this morning when he realized all I wanted to do was tell him I was held up so he wouldn't think I ditched him.

LL: Last night.

HL: Mango. <3

03.05.2012, 11:01 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: Bought Edward Scissorhands, finally. I've wanted to see that for years. Also bought the Labyrinth soundtrack; an excellent fanfic I read last night caused my Labyrinth obsession to be resurrected, and after all, there's nothing quite like David Bowie playing Jareth, the goblin king. =v= ♡

LL: Nothing in particular, it's been a decent day.

My Anime List

03.05.2012, 02:45 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: My obsession with weird flavoured ice cream. <3

LL: Drummer of my favourite Japanese band being in the hospital. :'( And today is the vocalist's birthday in Japan.. I feel creepy knowing most of Asia's time zones, except for China..

My mom began questioning again why girls don't want to date "normal" guys from the same area... I don't know where she is getting at or why she's saying this to me of all people. Firstly, Asian people are normal... Sure he's not from this country, but that doesn't make him not normal, obviously he lives here now... o_O;

03.05.2012, 09:08 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: Dreamt of a wedding, which was PROBABLY mine, and PROBABLY with my first love.

Reality is cruel, man. Even my dreams are ambiguous. ;_;

HL: Egg on buttered toast. The eggs looked like pancakes, lol, but the overall thing tasted so damn good.

Also this: http://9gag.com/gag/3152439

Yo dawg, I heard you liek to log in and log out, so we put some fail in your log out so you can log in your failed log out and log out after you log in and get a failed log out again.

XD

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.06.2012, 02:10 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
won at bingo again last night. met a number of others at the game... mostly women, mostly older than me, lol but still fun...

03.06.2012, 12:02 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  421  422  423  424  425  426  427  428  429  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks