QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  580  581  582  583  584  585  586  587  588  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh man, Chinese pronunciation is hellish. So many similar-sounding but subtly different consonants and then tones just make it worse. I can't remember much beyond "wo shi xuesheng".

04.29.2015, 10:45 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks, Kaz... I like knowing how to say a few words in a number of languages such as 'hello, thank you, good-bye and maybe 1-10. The numbers are the harder one unless you have a site where you can hear the words spoken or know someone who speaks the language.

Like a Russian neighbor who lived across from me. She and her husband would come over occasionally when they were having a party or just to visit and I was able to try different Russian foods and drinks. Quite interesting, really. I'm spelling it phonetically, but "preevit, kock du la" was basically "hello, how are you". I learned this to greet her parents when they came over from Russia for a visit. Unfortunately, hubby died young a few years ago and after moving to the coast, she is now in Russia taking care of her mother. Wonderful, caring people.

And I've learned 1-10 from an Austrian lady at bingo. She and her Polish husband brought me a beer from home last night at bingo. He doesn't play, quite quiet and didn't say much until we got to know each other. I love meeting people. lol

That's my HL for today.
==============================

@arren...
and that means what? c'mon, you can't leave us hanging....

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.29.2015, 10:57 AM.

04.29.2015, 10:55 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: I move into my new home on the 11th May

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.29.2015, 11:24 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
@arren...
and that means what? c'mon, you can't leave us hanging....

"I am a student"

And for your own reference, the Russian phrase you were talking about is spelt "Привет. Как дела?" I don't actually know how to type Russian but I remember the spelling from the short time I studied it long ago!

04.29.2015, 12:55 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Brad, Galena's hubby wrote it the way you see it to aid in my pronounciation, lol
============================

Way to go,
Saddles

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.29.2015, 01:51 PM.

04.29.2015, 01:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Oh man, Chinese pronunciation is hellish. So many similar-sounding but subtly different consonants and then tones just make it worse. I can't remember much beyond "wo shi xuesheng".

Because my boyfriend has a Malay accent, his Mandarin and Cantonese often sounds very different to people from mainland China. lol Although they can understand one another. XD Being with him, I'm more used to hearing his way of speaking Mandarin. His mom is Cantonese.

Besides English, I'm hoping to raise any future offspring speaking Mandarin and French. Yeah, I'll be that parent. But it's because they're going to have to. lol

04.29.2015, 07:58 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: Testing in school today, ugh.
HL: I broke my record at track yesterday!

04.30.2015, 12:23 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: food shopping. Kind of been living on toast lately so it makes a nice change to have some variety of edibles about. I love Aldi so much. That was like two weeks worth of food for just over £12. I'd forgotten just how cheap everything is. Packs of spaghetti for 20p, blocks of cheese for £1.50... Everything at Nisa is double the price or even more.

My Anime List

05.01.2015, 08:24 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
HL: food shopping. Kind of been living on toast lately so it makes a nice change to have some variety of edibles about. I love Aldi so much. That was like two weeks worth of food for just over £12. I'd forgotten just how cheap everything is. Packs of spaghetti for 20p, blocks of cheese for £1.50... Everything at Nisa is double the price or even more.

holy smokes! Food is so ridiculously expensive over here..

HL: Getting ready for the exchange students to arrive! Setting up camp (lol). Wondering where the other assistants disappeared off to.. oh well.

LL: Been working over 12 hours now and not being paid for the majority of that time but whatever. :s

05.01.2015, 08:41 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Hey! I get to theme my residence wing as Studio Ghibli! One of the other girls wanted to as well, but said I should do it.

I was going to make my name tag Totoro but one of the exchange students told me that was her favourite film. The girls' name tags are for Howl's Moving Castle, Mononoke, Nausicaa, Kiki, Laputa, Totoro, and Spirited Away. What should mine be?

Should I make mine for the Wind Rises, Arrietty, etc? I could always switch one for Arrietty.

05.02.2015, 01:07 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Oddlight: yesterday I had my last exam, which means that apart from graduation (in July) I'm finished with university! Such a strange feeling, especially after being so busy with classes and stuff this year.

05.02.2015, 01:58 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Congrats, arren!! Hopefully I'll graduate next May.

LL: My boyfriend is being moody.. I've been busy with exams, then straight into work, cleaning, moving into residence for my job and preparing for the exchange students that are arriving soon. He's tired and overworking himself, which I understand. But he keeps complaining I'm not doing enough for him or making him feel appreciated... I'm not sure what to do about that at the moment. Of course I appreciate him helping out and whatnot, but I'm busy too. He's also planning on moving away suddenly at the end of the month..

I'm just worried he'll try to breakup with me again. He knows I'm busy and I know he's stressed. He nearly broke one of my fish tanks and ruined some of my stuff then got upset that I asked what was ruined and what could be salvaged. He got mad at me because he kept saying he was tired so I told him to take a rest and he told me no, that he's too busy to sleep. He keeps over thinking and asking me why I'm annoyed sounding... I'm just tired and stressed too...

Sorry for ranting, just feeling at a loss right now and not exactly happy with his behavior. lol

05.02.2015, 02:06 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow. Poor FFF

HL: Got a new youtube video out. It's hilarious, IMO.

05.02.2015, 06:22 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I wish I could say, "hang in there, FFF, and it will be alright". but in this case I'm not sure that I can. You said that he is moving away suddenly at the end of the month!! With no reason or explanation? Something doesn't seem right and I would question the reason.

It may not be the answer you want, but I cannot give any upbeat answers to his behavior...

All I can say is good luck, my dear, I'm rooting for the best...

======================================

HL:
Went to a "Gun Show" for the first time today with a friend of mine. Bought some extra ammunition and a couple of gun t-shirts. I'll post a picture if them sometime soon. MAybe in a week or two, my friend and I will go out into the desert and fire off a few rounds...

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.02.2015, 09:43 PM.

05.02.2015, 09:38 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Suddenly as in I knew where he wanted to go and that he wanted to, just didn't know he was going to leave so soon. But he's impulsive and got excited finding tickets to fly there cheaply so he decided to move within a matter of hours. lol There's nothing but me to keep him here so he might as well leave if that's the only reason.

EDIT: LL: Well, appears like the level he cares about me has dropped drastically. He sent me a text telling me he feels I don't care or put any effort at all into our relationship, shut off his phone, and just only sent that message.. I feel pretty hurt by this..

Can't act upset tomorrow though. Straight work day again picking up the students and meeting them, getting to know them, then off to work.. so pretty lovely timing he has when I've been asking him lately what's bothering him because he's been acting strange.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 05.03.2015, 01:46 AM.

05.02.2015, 10:36 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I want to say that I'm sorry for your loss , FFF. but it isn't much of a loss if that was all that he felt for you...

Right now, I know you want to greive, but put your energy into your work and go out and enjoy meeting the new people that are coming into your world... And remember this, for every loss, there is a learning... sometimes a hard one to deal with but it should make you a stronger woman...

Just do remember this, we in the Tavern are family and all love you...

Now go to work tomorrow and kick butt...

05.03.2015, 03:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

We didn't breakup yet, he's just refusing to answer me at all/passed out.

It could be that he was over tired. He tends to have a pretty crappy attitude when he is and complains a lot. :/ I'm just frustrated more than anything right now. He must be sleeping in or just avoiding me now but he never usually keeps his phone off so long..
Sometimes he is just oversensitive and that's okay, or his anxiety level is high, although I would hope he would talk about that with me. I don't understand why he seems to think I don't care or do enough when I've told him I'll go do cleaning and/or cooking/buying food later when I am able to. Everything has to be on his schedule and that schedule doesn't always work for me.. most of the time.

I think he also might be jealous a bit because one time I asked if he fed the fish and he threw a fit saying I care more about them than him. What.... fish can't feed themselves. I know that just means he wants me to cook more for him, but the way he puts it..

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 05.03.2015, 07:05 AM.

05.03.2015, 07:02 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

FFF, I feel for you, and the other young women in the Tavern that I have gotten to know over these last years, as though you were my daughters (and the young men as sons-sorry Saddles and Roar, you're more like brothers, lol) But based on what you've said before and this last post, I stand by my earlier post.

I realize that from your b/f's culture and upbringing, that he may feel that a woman's place is to follow his schedule of events rather than her own. To me, having known you as long as he has, that is a rather selfish attitude. I hope, for you're sake, that you can work things out, but if not, realize that in life, not all things work out as we would want them to.

I have had these disappointments in my life and still have some of the regrets, but my life at this time has culminated in a combination of the good things and the bad things and the so-so things that have made me the person that I am today.

I am not trying to control your life or pressure you to follow a path that you don't want to follow, but merely giving my honest thoughts on the matter, based on the things you have said. All said and done, I wish you the best and however it works out, I'm behind you...

05.03.2015, 09:40 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thanks, husky. He felt really bad after realizing. But we're going to work on it together.

HL: Met my students~. Didn't get to spend much time with them yet. A few of them have really good English and some have a much lower level.

Does anyone know why Japanese people put bands around their suitcases? We were wondering that today because it's not a thing here but we've seen it with a lot of the Japanese students.

LL: Discrimination at work against a customer by another customer. A table of quite obviously gay men and a female friend came in for supper and the previous customer made some rude loud comments while leaving. I thought he was talking to me for a second and was pretty confused but then realized he meant the guys I was serving. Which got one of them pretty upset but him joking about it and apologizing to me. I just told him lol no I know where you're coming from, that guy was a complete jerk. I was still pretty riled about it after leaving work..

This isn't uncommon. I know some other openly gay men who get treated like crap here and even if a guy was straight receiving comments from people they don't know judging them by what they're wearing as being too feminine, etc. Ew. I feel bad for the guys.

Funny thing is the family with the rude old guy forgot their leftovers and ran as soon as that table came in. My boss thought that was pretty funny.

05.03.2015, 10:54 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Unfortunately, a number of older people grew up with that mindset and at this point in their lives see no reason to change how they feel. A few, like your customers, feel that it is OK to verbalize their dislike publically.

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.04.2015, 10:54 AM.

05.04.2015, 12:22 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  580  581  582  583  584  585  586  587  588  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks