QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  560  561  562  563  564  565  566  567  568  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know what is worse, FFF, having a relative pass slowly or LL t once. I lost a cherished Grandmother, Aunt and Uncle near Hope, BC in an accident. Broadsided by another vehicle. Their three kids, one of whom was driving, all survived. The other woman was driving too fast for the snowy conditions according to the police report. One of the lockers at work was badly dented when I was told about it... I have since lost my other aunt and my favorite cousin to illness. None of it was easy, FFF, but life happens and we all die sooner or later. My mother's death came as a surprise as well. The hardest part was delivering her eulegy... But for her, at least it was quick and she had been living her life as she wished and was still active.. She was relatively healthy for 78 and had driven into LAX airport to pick me up just a few days before. And believe me, LAX traffic is bad to the unfamiliar...

I wish for you and your aunt that her passing is as painless as possible.

Big Hugs, FFF.

11.08.2014, 02:54 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks, husky. My aunt has had a long and arduous journey with terminal cancer in more than one area of the body (brain tumours, unknown tumours in her lungs that were extremely rare). It's been several years she's been fighting. It's sad to see her go, but I don't want her to suffer anymore. I was very sad seeing her bedridden and unable to stay awake or focus. She was one of my closest family members.

Sad thing is her husband passed away on the 11th/12th of this month several years ago suddenly at work. I imagine that fact alone would make it harder for my cousins to accept. She's been remarried, and once when we were walking together she told me, "I've always wanted to live in this place, but your Uncle L and I never could. Now I'm here and I'm happy with someone and I feel like he's lead me to this place. I feel like he's watching over me."

11.08.2014, 10:06 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: 2nd shipping cost.refunded because 1st shipment haven't been sent. Good way to start the day

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

11.11.2014, 09:00 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: I went to a Ghibli exhibit here in Seoul this evening. It was great

11.14.2014, 10:44 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good to hear from you again, calf...

I may be just not remembering, but what are you doing in Korea???

11.14.2014, 11:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Nice night last night; a joint event between the university's Japanese society and LGBT society. We were making origami cranes, aiming for 800 (not sure how many we got to, my friends and I did about 30 between us I think) for Transgender Remembrance Day. It was in a small, warm, artsy little café. All the cold drinks came in jam jars for some reason. :')

I feel like I do have some friends at university now. I've met a couple of fellow introverts, which is really nice... it's a new and very cool thing talking to people who properly, genuinely understand what it's like to have that nature. And besides them, all these people I can speak Japanese with and talk about anime and J-rock with and not get looked at funny! <3

I'm happy. My life is on the right track.

My Anime List

11.14.2014, 08:47 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Good for you, Kaz...

11.14.2014, 11:35 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aww, that's great, Kaz. That sounds fun too.

HL: Lol I went to see my gender studies prof yesterday and we talked about Kpop, why in the heck my boyfriend would move to go to our school, what our class together next term would be like. About how smart one of my best friends is that she has for a student. She's really laid back and it's easy to just talk to her in a friendly matter. I like her.

She's excited for my paper because I chose a sort of different topic from others and she hasn't watched any Korean dramas, but her best friend is Korean and she watches lots of dramas and talks about them all the time. lol

We get to watch some anime and things in my gender studies course next semester.

Also, there was a big sale thing in my town last night so I bought myself a pair of floral tights. They're too adorable for me to open them.

LL: Wanting money to buy clothes online. Not that I don't have the money to buy a couple cheap items, but... geeeh.

11.15.2014, 11:21 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Feel weird double posting.

HL: Bought some clothes online to see if they'll perk me up. A cardigan and a white shirt. They're part of a style called mori girl, which I've been leaning towards for awhile. So I'm excited for their arrival. Hopefully they get here before I head to New York.

LL: I think I'm dealing with burnout. I don't know if it's depression or burnout, although I'm going to go with burnout for now and see if there's any way to resolve it. I know things are off when I spend too much time listening to music and feeling unmotivated.

I'm usually someone with a lot of motivation and willpower, but keeping up with my daily life is a really arduous task for me in the past couple years. I just don't enjoy my major in school, and it's taken its toll on me. :/ I'm fortunately switching my minor to something more enjoyable. I didn't realize how tough an English major would be... I don't have perfect grammar, or write as concisely as professors want me to. I'm a creative writer and so writing like I'm writing for professional academia work drains me. lol I have some profs who offer options to students like me. But there's just not a lot of flexibility in the work I'm producing. I'm not able to take subjects I truly enjoy because my school is too small to offer different areas. Canadian literature is good since I can at least look into diaspora literature.

And in English, getting decent marks is pretty near impossible unless you're already great at writing for academia or have perfect grammar and write short sentences. Profs at least try to prepare us for the real world by saying that when we submit work for publication that it'll never be perfect. The downside though is that this way is great and helpful, but when you're a student and need the marks to get into grad school or anything, it's not totally feasible. I'd love to do grad studies in certain areas of literature, like Asian diaspora literature since that's a growing field that actually doesn't have a huge amount of research going into it (particularly Asian Canadian literature). But I don't have the marks to pursue these goals. Which is disheartening, but I guess it's not meant to be.

Aw well, at least I'm not failing. It'd just be nice to get above the Cs and have more Bs. But I guess I'll just have to dream of that for now.

11.17.2014, 01:44 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Ah, but you didn't double post, FFF. The last post was two days ago...

11.17.2014, 02:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

It was just tha appearance of double posting...

OOPS!

11.17.2014, 02:42 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
Yay! my check engine light turned out to be caused by a faulty gas cap. I had thought of that, but discounted it because the cap was only abt two years old... and I even got some 2015 calendars with outdoor scenes...lol

11.19.2014, 05:31 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

H/L:
Well, with it being so dry and no rain for too long, we are finally getting some appreciable rain right now... Lightening, too! LOUD thunder... Flashflood warnings are out all around my area...

11.21.2014, 08:48 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Back from two weeks of yearly army requirement. The jungle was as horrible as I remembered it to be. Fortunately, we spent half of the last day in an urban setting, slight reprieve.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

11.21.2014, 07:25 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: Spent the weekend with my boyfriend, a friend, and his professor as they gave a presentation at another university. Also got to meet the sociology professors at the other school.

Lol Being at the other university, besides it also being a rather small university just as mine is, it seems theirs gets more funding potentially. I was really surprised how nice the bathrooms were there and the chairs. My school needs a lot of renovations, but somehow we keep winning number one place (although we know that's pretty much bought with money because it's a total joke we won this year).

At the presentation we met another student from my boyfriend's home country. They shouted and kept hugging each other. XD She was so happy to find another person from there. Most Southeast Asian students go to the cities, not to our tiny campuses. The presentation was on being an international student in the small isolated schools.

Also nice to get to know professors. His prof was surprised to learn I was struggling in school when I told him. I've never had him before since I'm in a different degree field than he teaches. He asked me how come I'm doing poorly when I can think critically in a way other students seem to not. When I told him, he felt it could be the restrictiveness of my degree, or degrees in general that make it difficult and he didn't think that was a good reflection of me, or other students' like me. It was interesting to hear him say that.

11.23.2014, 11:00 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
I was lucky in my class choices and options when I was attending college back in the mid-seventies. I was able to get all my required courses done is such a manner that my last semester was pure elective classes. Aviation ground school, guitar, firearms and a couple of other ones that I've forgotten offhand.

I passed the ground school class with a 'B' and if I could have afforded pilot training, it would have counted towards my pilot's license. Unfortunely (? lol) I had a family to raise and the money went there instead...

HHL:
I did get to go up and fly a couple of small planes and also shot Police Pistol Competition for 4 years. Shot 'Master' classification. Highest practice score was a 586 out of 600 w/ 21 out of 60 bullseyes and highest competition score was a 579 w/ 19 bullseyes (3rd place in LAPD Match). We shot at 7-1/2 yards out to 50 yards with a handgun.
The first series was to shoot 12 rounds at 7-1/2 yards with a 6-shot revolver in 25 seconds...reloading midway... takes a lot of practice...

After shooting the 50 yd positions, we moved back up to the 25-yd line and with weapon holstered (all positions started this way)
, drew and fired 6-rounds in 10 seconds from the shoulder.

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.23.2014, 02:07 PM.

11.23.2014, 02:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

LL: One of my best buddies in Japan had me fooled he was coming to NY this Christmas. But he lied. D':

Now he feels bad for being a jerk. lol So I'm sending him pictures of Reese candy and peanut butter to make him cry (kid loves peanut butter)

When I go to Japan, what sort of snack items should I bring? I already know anything peanut butter or maple flavoured. lol The exchange students really love maple cookies. Or really, what sort of things are best for small gifts?

Then again, he might be lying to surprise me since he was talking about coming before and was being super ambiguous. In which case, I'm going to make him guzzle maple syrup.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 11.23.2014, 10:34 PM.

11.23.2014, 10:32 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Just slice and peg the tree and tie him to it with the drain his mouth... a long sweet death... lol

11.24.2014, 01:03 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
Just got my mail delivered to my door by my regular postman...

There was a large package containing two 8x10 photos of USS Bayfield APA33 off of Utah Beach during the D-Day landing in WWII. She was the last ship I was on in 1968. I shared my pics with Guy, my postman, who had been aboard USS Ranger towards the end of the Vietnam conflict. I enjoyed sharing with a former Navy man...

Her keel was laid as SS Sea Bass, but because of WWII, she was converted during construction to USS Bayfield APA33. Bayfield was a flagship during the Normandie invasion, Korea and Vietnam. Baseball star Yogi Berra was a coxswain aboard Bayfield during Normandie. I was on her last cruise to Acapulco after a training mission with other ships including four Canadian vessels. I was involved in preparing her for decommissioning when I left the Navy. I later found that due to hull wear she had been scrapped...

She had a long and meritorious career.

Brought back old memories...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.24.2014, 08:16 PM.

11.24.2014, 08:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: It's just not my week. Had a really important hospital appointment today, a pre-op thingmy, slept straight through my alarm. No way I could have made it; by the time I woke up the train I needed had gone an hour and a half ago... ugh. UGH. Called up the hospital to let them know and found that my surgery's been postponed anyway since the surgeon's ill. I don't know when it's been postponed until, I'll find that out in the letter I guess. Any delay is a serious pain though, the date I had was perfect since it let me recover over the Christmas break and hopefully I would have been fine to go back to university maybe a couple of weeks after term started. Now I'll have to miss... I don't know, a month or maybe even more of classes. *sighs* Soon as I find out the date I'll need to contact the university and see what they can do about helping me with this.

My Anime List

11.26.2014, 03:51 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  560  561  562  563  564  565  566  567  568  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks