QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  561  562  563  564  565  566  567  568  569  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
LL: It's just not my week. Had a really important hospital appointment today, a pre-op thingmy, slept straight through my alarm. No way I could have made it; by the time I woke up the train I needed had gone an hour and a half ago... ugh. UGH. Called up the hospital to let them know and found that my surgery's been postponed anyway since the surgeon's ill. I don't know when it's been postponed until, I'll find that out in the letter I guess. Any delay is a serious pain though, the date I had was perfect since it let me recover over the Christmas break and hopefully I would have been fine to go back to university maybe a couple of weeks after term started. Now I'll have to miss... I don't know, a month or maybe even more of classes. *sighs* Soon as I find out the date I'll need to contact the university and see what they can do about helping me with this.

Hugs, Kaz.

HL: Oh yeah, for my gender studies class next semester, I might be able to even do an essay on Miyazaki's heroines. We're watching Ghost in a Shell (lol my prof nodded to me since she knew I was the only one who knew what that was). However, I'm mostly interested in doing it on visual kei. If anyone would like to help me do a project on visual kei since it's for a gender identity class, it'd be cool. :3

Although it'd be cool to do an examination of fan bases. Since a lot of the music I like can go from super sugary pop to metal. I noticed on some comment sections on music videos by bands that produce less mainstream, edgier music that people are more likely to try and be "edgier", and d*cks in the comments when they don't like how artists change their sound or conform more to mainstream sounds. Like saying if the sound is more mainstream than usual and they use derogatory terms towards the artist that try to emasculate the work they're putting out, when they could simply say they dislike it. I don't know how to word it right now, but it's something that came to mind after having a lecture on music and sound. Just spewing a few thoughts of interest.

Sad my gender studies class is over for this semester. My classmates keep asking me why I didn't switch majors, but I just don't have the money or means to.. I find sociology, anthro, and gender studies classes get me thinking more.

11.26.2014, 06:48 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

FFF, that class sounds incredibly interesting. I would love to be able to do that.

LL: Idiot friends dragging me out to drink with them last night. And idiot me for going, yeah. And now, kanji test...

My Anime List

11.27.2014, 06:50 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry for not being here the last couple of weeks. Apart from being back from two weeks of army nonsense and still feeling a bit burned out, I'm trying to catch up on the rest of my affairs since then, adding to the burn. Also, my knees are acting up. Signs of recent overabuse I suppose.

Also, I have a package that is a week late. Hm.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

11.27.2014, 09:10 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Test went great, despite the fact that I'm sure I was still slightly under the influence. And also exhausted.

Going to buy food, eat said food, and then sleep for the rest of the day. x_x

My Anime List

11.27.2014, 10:18 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
FFF, that class sounds incredibly interesting. I would love to be able to do that.

LL: Idiot friends dragging me out to drink with them last night. And idiot me for going, yeah. And now, kanji test...

Does your university offer women's studies or women's and gender studies? The latter is the general term for that field in universities here. I know that people usually scoff and laugh at this field, but I find it super compelling. I don't see how it's something to be looked down upon, as it falls under the same branch as sociology and anthropology sort of but focuses more on people and gender issues. I love having a subject that gets me thinking and truly engaged. If there were more degrees offered in it, I would probably major in it even if people told me that wasn't a good idea (I want to do social work, and technically that would fall under the degrees needed for that sort of work). Feminism is a large component as well since you need to use a feminist researcher's eye for doing work, which makes sense.

My prof is also the best too. lol My friend in her other course said that one girl had retorted in class something about "If men had periods" and my prof cut her off and said "Some men do have periods". My friend was super happy she said that (my friend does not fully identify as either gender, but they have been leaning towards male gender identity).

Being able to excel in a course I actually want to put a lot of effort into is a great feeling. It's like please, let me do hours and hours of research on this material. Even the research processes aren't so bad to read.

LL: Snowstorm and assignments due this afternoon. I just want to sleep.. At least I'm almost done. I think my eye allergies are acting up again and my stomach hurts from stress. Geh. Having a couple of my exchange friends over for dinner tonight. One is going back to Japan in a week and a half and the other is also from Japan, but she isn't heading back until May.

WL: People often seem surprised I have a lot of Japanese friends and acquaintances. My school has really strong ties with universities in Japan for a very small school. We have attachments to three or four universities in Japan. The town here also has quite a few Japanese families. However, only one family involves a Japanese man married to a Canadian woman. The guy feels awkward at parent meetings for Japanese mixed families since he's the only man present. lol There's a lot of reasons for why this happens, and I'd be totally interested in conducting research on interracial relationships.

11.27.2014, 11:14 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I don't know if there is a course like that, FFF, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were. This one of the biggest universities in the country and as such they have have courses on pretty much every subject area. Perhaps I'll look into doing it as an elective next year.

HL: Finally got my letter awarding me my student loan and tuition fees... thank god. Going to go and die of relief now.

LL: Bleh, also got the letter confirming that my surgery's going to be delayed. Won't have it before the year's out. I guess it'll be January or February, hopefully... surely not after that. >_< Either way, it's such a pain that I'll have to miss weeks of classes, as I said before...

My Anime List

12.03.2014, 11:02 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Happy for you, Kaz, and sad for you at the same time. Hope everything works out ok...

12.04.2014, 12:10 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Found my elusive 99% lindt chocolate.

LL: I expected it to be very bitter. Instead it tasted kinda... ... ... salty.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

12.04.2014, 09:44 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Where had it been hidden? With the condiments?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.04.2014, 04:47 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Lol I've been eating way too much Lindt Lindor chocolates while studying. They're expensive but the holidays bring about the smaller packs that are much cheaper.

HL: Finished my first exam for the semester and also finished all my assignments. Sigh of relief.

LL: Wishing I could do better on assignments or feel motivated to do them. My friend who is also in the English program feels the same way as I do. It's not what we expected and we both had already decided to be English majors from the very start because that had been our plan. I just wish it wasn't so rigid of a program here. Most of the courses I would love taking aren't even being offered or have at all been offered since I first started here.

12.04.2014, 05:57 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Where had it been hidden? With the condiments?

Haha no, usually the only ones I see on the shelf go up to 85% at most. My friend told me the local supermarket chains do carry 99% but it's usually either sold out or not available at their particular store. Anyway, I don't think pure chocolate fits my palate so I'll stuck to 85% max from now on. Maybe I'll melt it together with milk chocolate and apply on a cake or something.

@FFF: Yeah lindt is slightly expensive. But at least its better than the standard commercial crap. I would try godiva but those aren't as easily found as lindt.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

12.04.2014, 09:24 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, no!!!

Chocolate connesewersss... lol

12.05.2014, 01:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lindt Lindors are probably my favourite chocolate

Mind you, on a bad day I'm happy with a Snickers bar.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.05.2014, 05:32 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Haha yeah, snickers works too.

That said, the taste is starting to grow on me. Without all that sugar, it tastes more like raw peanut paste, which isn't really all that bad. I may one day be unable to no longer eat normal chocolates, lol.

Weirdlight: While deleting zero posters, I came across a rrkllr. Realized it was me from a time last year when my account was somehow locked out, hahaha.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

12.06.2014, 12:19 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Lindt chocolate is usually way out of my budget, but fortunately Christmas time means more chocolate varieties available and this means cheaper Lindt chocolate! lol

I like super dark chocolate. I should try to ween myself off milk chocolate with the dark since I'll eat much less.

HL: Finished two English exams. The second went pretty well, I hope. I did repeat some areas but he gave an option to write about the patriarchy in 18th century literature and how was I not going to write about that? XD My prof's a sweetheart though. I should have done fine at the very least.

As a reward to myself and most shops having no taxes last night, I purchased a really cute terrarium. :3 There's a little kitschy deer inside and the jar is pine tree shaped.

LL: History exam this AM. Not looking forward to at all. Again, should be fine but that prof is evil and the exam is 50%. This after doing five essays for him and he refused to give me feedback despite sending them in on time. WTF...

Also wisdom tooth pain ugh.

One week until New York.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 12.06.2014, 06:30 AM.

12.06.2014, 06:25 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Have fun in New York... I hope things will have settled down a bit by the time you get there...

12.06.2014, 01:55 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh, you mean the protests going on? I don't mind, I'd actually like to see it. My friend I'm staying isn't from the city anyway.

HL: Got gifts from Japan.

12.06.2014, 10:48 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Protests? What protests?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

12.09.2014, 07:48 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

A lot of protests throughout the US about police brutality and wrongful deaths. To me it boils down to police gives commands and people resisting and end up getting killed in the struggle that ensues. And others see a chance for freedom to practice looting and starting fires and stopping traffic, while others peacefully protest. So far, in each case, the Grand Jury has refused to indict the police officer involved and that has incited many of the Black public. It is almost like, we should be allowed to break the law as much as we want with no interference form the police. And then you get the rabble-rousers like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson inflaming the crowds with their rhetoric.

My opinions only... None of these deaths would have occurred if the deceased has simply complied with the officers commands to stop what they were doing or to stop resisting. In all the cases reported, if the race roles had been reversed, nothing would have even made the news. And the news media doesn't always help much either... violence sells!

One case was a 12-yr old boy . Police got the call that there was someone with a gun at a park. The police showed up and the boy pulled a pellet gun that looked like a real gun from his waistband and pointed it at the officer, the officer, thinking it was real, opened fire. The kid had removed the red tip from the gun that is supposed to identify it as a non-lethal item. Many errors of judgement on the kid's part, but the officer is to blame for his death in the eyes of many.

These all happen to be White cop, Black death... big uproar among the Black community. White guy killed by a Black cop in Texas and you hardly hear a whisper. Or Black on Black as occurs a lot in Detroit and Chicago.

The problem is, IMO, is that a small number of an ethnic group are no good-niks, and it tars the rest of the group with the same brush, just like what is happening with Muslims. Most are decent, law-abiding people, but you don't hear about them...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.09.2014, 01:47 PM.

12.09.2014, 01:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I don't want to get in debates on this stuff since the opinion I've collected is from my minority friends. Especially about the 12-year-old boy. I've known kids to do things like that and never get hurt. That one was the one that hit me the most.

What bugs me is people saying "Well the kid should have been raised better instead of turning out like a thug". Maybe it's the area I grew up in but kids do **** like that. Heck, they continue into high school and it's not always the parents' fault. Also the usage of the word thug is upsetting me terribly. These matters are bringing up a lot of casually racist comments as well as the use of derogatory terms. Those are the main things my friends have been focusing on. It's so sad...

As far as rioting and whatnot go, as much as we don't want it, it is the outrage behind it that is ticking off people I know. People were laughing about the rioting in Vancouver over a hockey game and in other circumstances. People are angry, understandably. Some are doing it on their own personal agenda. Which sucks a lot, but it's mostly the public's reaction that is upsetting more than what the rioters are doing. Not sure if this part makes sense since I'm not sure of how to explain it. This isn't to say I condone rioting.

I think it's the whole "It's not a racial issue, so shut up and be quiet about it" aspect that is pissing people off as a whole. Even if these weren't racially motivated crimes, it's this aspect that is getting people upset. Because what if they were? Or what about future occurrences where this may be the case? It's telling people to be quiet that is going to understandably piss people off. It's also ignoring their opinion and how these events affect their lives.

I understand where both sides on the matter are coming from, I just think it's how people are reacting that don't understand the implications of their words on others that is upsetting people even more. I'm not sure how to word it. This could just be a smaller part of the picture, which it is, but it's what's getting people I know visibly upset.

Aw snap, wrote so much.. There's a lot of issues at play here.

12.09.2014, 01:57 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  561  562  563  564  565  566  567  568  569  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks