QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  432  433  434  435  436  437  438  439  440  ...    »  ]
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Registration Date: 06.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
LL: My boyfriend of a little over a year broke up with me today. It was pretty much out of the blue. Just last night he was saying how excited he was about seeing me.

I just feel hollow. I mean, I don't think it's actually sunk in that it it's over.

The worst part is we didn't break up because he didn't like me, but something about how he was feeling too pressurised by school and everything to be a decent boyfriend.

He's a good guy, so it isn't even like I can be glad to be rid of him. I don't know, I'm just terrified of the prospect of the next few weeks. Not only do I have major exams, I'm also now facing them without the person who until this afternoon I thought was both my best friend and my boyfriend.

Fantastic.

Sorry to hear about you and your boyfriend Nausicaa_Cat really am we've all been there in one way or another, I've been hurt a lot in the past always been left by girls.

Its hard when that person you thought would never leave you and always be your best friend hurts you in this way but the best thing to do is to take each day as it comes you'll have good and bad days, and when the time is right and you and only you feel ready you can focus on yourself and the future and not your past.

If its anything sadly that I've learnt from my ex's is that even if they say you'll be able to stay friend you never do and it's better not too as it's sometimes too hard to watch someone you loved be with other people.

Anytime you need to talk we're here for you as support if you ever need to talk just pm me

05.30.2012, 08:23 PM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: I looked up the cost of attending Cambridge if I decided to go international. o.e

Holy crap. I would die with those costs. Thank the lord mine isn't so expensive despite having a high tuition cost in Canada. But the UK websites for universities are laid out so much easier.

I don't know how a teacher my mom works with afforded to go there to complete his master's. The prices would kill me. How much does it cost to go to other UK universities? o.e Or anywhere else?

Seems like we're doing pretty good here as far as costs go... but the students from UK have it easier in regards to paying their fees. T.T I'm so worried I won't be able to get a loan..

05.31.2012, 03:31 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As a UK citizen I can help you with that FFF. I have literally just finished applying to university, for 2012 -13.

Now due to government cuts most universities in the UK are allowed to charge up to £9000. Although in the beginning most jumped on the bandwagon, however by now alot have dropped there fees, for example mine are only £7670. So the price can fluctuate depending on the university, but as you have probably worked out already, the better the university the higher the fees, so places such as Cambridge, Oxford and Warrick all charge around the £9000 mark. These three universities are the best in the UK and three of the best in the world. However you probably already knew that. In terms of aquiring a place at a uni you would have to check the university entry requirements. I don't know how you work out your grades in Canada, but here in the UK A-Levels or level three BTEC's are worth what we call UCAS points which most unis require and the grades depending on what you get are worth different amounts of points. However most unis have alternatives for international students.

As it goes for loans you might be in luck I can't remember exactly but I believe Student Finance England, the people who pay fees and give loans in the UK will do it for international students however you might want to check out the website and read into it a bit more (Just type into google Student Finance England) and do a bit of research into it, it should be the first link that comes up. The way Student Finance works in the UK is Student Finance England will pay your university fees to your Uni and then once finished you have to pay it back to Student Finance, for UK citizens you only start paying it back when you start earning over £21,000, it might be different for international students. Now as for loans, you will fill in an online info sheet with different sections then it will give you an estimated amount of money you will get from them, that unfortunately you will have to pay back. It will then ask you if you wish to recieve this amount or put in your parents income or the income of the people you are living with, this is always advised although the process will take longer this way, you are more likely to get more money to live off, you might also get a lump sum grant which you won't have to pay back. I hope this information is not scaring you off. You would love it in the UK, the education system is one of the best, the people are the best and the lifestyle is the best. However if you wanted to apply ready for the 2012 - 13 year you have missed the deadlines and I am afraid you will have to wait untill the 2013 - 14 year to start.

I hope this helped.

Although do rersearch into it, all my info was from a UK citizens experience and will probably be different from that of an international student applying. However some might be the same.

If you have anymore questions don't be afraid to ask I will be more than happy to answer them for you if I can.

*EDIT* Ohhh, by the way incase you didn't know although you probably did, as it is the same most places, the fees arer a yearly charge and not a lump sum to cover the amount of time at uni, so if you are doing a three year course at a uni charging £9000 you will owe the UK government £27,000, and £36,000 if it is a four year course and that is before the loan is added on. I know what you are thinking a UK education is not cheap. I am looking at coming out of university with around £35,000 worth of debt. Ohh I am such a scatter brain I forgot to mention interest, this is added to your debt over the period you are at uni, it does not start after you finish your university course but while you are at uni, it starts charging interest the day your tuition fees are paid, and with the current economic climate in the UK at the moment, the interest rate is at about 5%. So I will probably be coming out of uni with around £40,000 worth of debt after interest, and it is added on untill you pay it all off. However the UK government have seen it in there large overly bearing hearts to wipe the slate clean if you haven't paid it all off thirty years after leaving uni.

So sorry about the length hope this does help!

Post last edited by Wikidkid101 on 06.01.2012, 04:44 AM.

06.01.2012, 04:34 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Those are the costs and the finance options for people from the UK. It's different for international students. For example, Scottish universities offer free tuition to Scottish students, but they certainly don't offer free tuition to everyone.

FFF, I imagine that you would be looking for some kind of international students' loan in Canada, unless the British student loan organisations have something for people coming in from elsewhere. It might even vary between the organisations, as I know there are at least separate student funding bodies for Scotland and England, and perhaps other parts of the UK too.

I would expect Cambridge and Oxford to be the most expensive, being the most prestigious. But there are other British universities that are very good - probably just as good as them really - and I imagine they wouldn't be so expensive. You should probably look up different universities and compare them.

Another option would be to study in Canada and consider going on an international exchange programme at some point. According to some American students I met, their options for international universities depended on their major, so perhaps it's similar in Canada. Anyway, I expect that would be easier, though it would only be for a semester or a year, so maybe that isn't what you want. Just a suggestion though!

06.01.2012, 06:52 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you everyone for all your kind words and stuff! I've had a really, really rough two weeks aha, but I don't know. I'm okay. I'm not the kind of person who allows themselves to be beaten down by stuff too much. I'm hurting but at the moment I'm just focusing on other things, and taking each day as it comes which I guess is all you can do.

HL: Going out tonight with an old friend. I've also gotten into kpop (oh god, it was an eventuality) and have spent part of today amusing myself watching MVs. Even though I don't like the music so much I just love watching the videos ahaha.

LL: Tonight could be really awkward. And I'm not looking forward to walking to the train station in such dreary weather.

06.01.2012, 01:46 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As an added extra to what I have written and in agreement with arren definitely look round at different unis if international studies is the choice you make!! Just because it is Cambridge doesn't make it the best for your subject you want to study!! By the way what do you want to study?

06.01.2012, 03:21 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL:
Relaxing evening at work....

06.02.2012, 05:52 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Qualified for Ninja Warrior finals! Or I hope so, unless they DQed me for some reason. Need to wait a week for the confirmation.

LL: Win was too close for comfort. Almost lost it, now that I looked at the video my aunt took.

The prelims had us race in a short series of obstacles and stationary sets. Eight people in a detail fight it out for three flags. I got the second, but barely.

Oh, and the logistics was horrible. No briefing, slow starts, dangerous conditions.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.02.2012, 07:00 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

But you made it!!! That's what counts....

Good for you....

06.02.2012, 01:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well done Roar

HL: Big Bang world tour?! And last night ended up being really fun, even though I didn't sleep the entire night and have spent all of today comatose ahaha.

06.02.2012, 02:00 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Wikidkid101
As an added extra to what I have written and in agreement with arren definitely look round at different unis if international studies is the choice you make!! Just because it is Cambridge doesn't make it the best for your subject you want to study!! By the way what do you want to study?

I'll read yours and arren's posts later, as I've skimmed through them. XD I'm studying English literature, so it would seem. I'm going to school here in Canada and thought if I don't like my school (although I don't know why I wouldn't) I would either go as an international or an exchange student somewhere (I think those are two different terms, I think..). Cambridge was just the one English university I looked into at the moment. I actually don't like big universities. Mine is quite small, but I guess it's considered one of the best in Canada.

9000 pounds transferred over into my money is a really huge sum. :s And then there's all the added fees.. being an exchange student might be better with that. I want to spend the least I can so when I try and take up a job overseas I don't die in debt and all alone. XD Also, there's the matter of my boyfriend and his schooling.

HL: Wait, Bigbang world tour? When does it start? I've been waiting for them to announce worldwide dates and not just the Asian tour dates, but I haven't seen much progress on if they're coming to North America.. And they'll probably come when I'm at university, so I'll cry myself to sleep knowing I won't be able to see Daesung. T_T My goal is to see them before any of them are drafted.

06.03.2012, 07:34 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
LL: My boyfriend of a little over a year broke up with me today. It was pretty much out of the blue. Just last night he was saying how excited he was about seeing me.

I just feel hollow. I mean, I don't think it's actually sunk in that it it's over.

The worst part is we didn't break up because he didn't like me, but something about how he was feeling too pressurised by school and everything to be a decent boyfriend.

He's a good guy, so it isn't even like I can be glad to be rid of him. I don't know, I'm just terrified of the prospect of the next few weeks. Not only do I have major exams, I'm also now facing them without the person who until this afternoon I thought was both my best friend and my boyfriend.

Fantastic.

It sounds to me like he's just under pressure and mixed up as well. I would give it a day or two and then when you see him, see if he wants to talk more about it. If he feels he can't hold up one end of a relationship while the stresses of exams are on, agree with him to talk more when they are over. At least the two of you will then have a little thing to keep you going through the exams.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.03.2012, 07:38 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
I'm sorry, NC. I remember how cut up my best friend was when something like that happened to her. Hope you can get things together soon and do good on those exams. Good luck.

HL: Binder arrived! Looks awesome. I'm surprised how not uncomfortable it is. Good thing too, gonna be wearing it a lot. xD Gonna buy some guy clothes tomorrow I think. 'w'

LL: Mother. I... She... Ugh. She's never happy. I'm kind of resigned to the fact now that no matter what I do, it's going to be the wrong thing as far as she's concerned. I never intended to go to university, but she insisted. Now that I'm a year into my course she's asking what I'm even doing there, and saying that I'd be better off leaving and getting a full-time job. Oh, and that I have no life.

I just really hate this constant tension between us as a family. We don't even feel like a family most of the time. Well, Dad and I do, but then there's mum griping and complaining about every little thing every single day. I don't even like being in the same room now. It's so tense and so damn uncomfortable, you're just sitting waiting for the next thing she's going to throw at you. You can't have a conversation without her saying something sooner or later that just sours the whole encounter. I don't know why she can't just relax. Why there's always got to be something wrong.

I'm no family counsellor but it sounds to me that she maay not be completely OK with your major decisions about your gender or maybe she sees you and your dad very close and is envious. People can be pretty nasty and hurt others to make their own hurt feel less.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.03.2012, 07:41 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
WeirdLight: In a weird mood today.

I've been feeling awkward when my boyfriend takes me to gatherings with his friends because they all stop speaking English.

That seems rude. You could ask them why are they doing it.

06.03.2012, 07:42 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For t3h lulz:

My cousin, brother and me.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.03.2012, 07:43 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Very cool. I thought it was a movie poster!

06.03.2012, 07:49 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
WeirdLight: In a weird mood today.

I've been feeling awkward when my boyfriend takes me to gatherings with his friends because they all stop speaking English.

That seems rude. You could ask them why are they doing it.

No, it's not out of rudeness. I was used to it but it just makes me feel excluded sometimes. They're all nice people, so when we're in a big group and they stop speaking English, it's fine by me. But in a small group.. it just makes it impossible for me to be part of the conversation so I kind of fade into the background.

LL: There's all these big year end parties everything is going to or went to. Even my friends all get invited. Me? No, not at all. And I feel awkward when they all keep talking about it, and I just go "Why do you guys never invite me?".

Not like I'd go, so to say, but you know, just for the heck of it, they could at least invite me. :/ *shrugs* I've never been invited to one, ever. And I'm always the only one who isn't. Well I say, screw them.

06.03.2012, 08:16 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I, too, thought that it was a poster of some kind... Of course, our guy has to be different....`

06.04.2012, 03:29 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It definitely seems rude to me FFF, especially because it excludes you. Have they something to hide? Why not carry on in English if they haven't? I would certainly ask them why they do it. Or maybe just cut into their conversation in English so they have to reply to you in English!

I came across this once or twice in Wales when I was holidaying when I was younger. You'd go into a small village shop where the owner and a customer were chatting away in English, they'd see you, see you were a tourist and instantly switch to Welsh. It's downright rude.

06.04.2012, 06:12 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Ahh Saddles, it's been about two weeks and yeah. I don't think he's going to change his mind. We spoke again and he made it clear that the school thing was just part of the reason, his feelings also weren't as strong as they once were. I don't know, it was all kind of cowardly and I've repeated the story to so many people so I'll leave it there. I'm just trying to move on now really! It was a really nice relationship whilst it lasted and he was a good guy so I don't feel like I have any regrets. My friends have been really great lately, and I've been concentrating my exams, so it hasn't been so awful.

06.04.2012, 12:11 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
[  «    ...  432  433  434  435  436  437  438  439  440  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks