QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Video Games
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Video Games » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Video GamesPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You all have probably started one before haha, but felt like we needed a thread on Video Games.

What games are you playing at the moment?.

ME:

Batman Arkham City
Ni No Kuni
Lego Marvel Superheroes
Uncharted 2
FIFA 12
COD Ghosts
Pokémon X again lol

05.22.2014, 06:04 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I settle for watching games these days rather than playing them. Whatever Cry is playing, that's what I watch. Recently I've enjoyed seeing him play Dishonored, Catherine, The Walking Dead... I'd really like to play Catherine myself some day, even though I think I'd probably be really bad at the puzzles.

I've heard that he's going to be playing Okami next, and I'm super stoked about that because it's my favourite game.

A while ago he did a 24-hour livestream of Ni no Kuni, for charity. Can't remember how much he raised, about $30,000 I think. Really good. I managed to stay awake for almost all of it! I really enjoyed that. He didn't manage to finish the game in that time... I think he streamed the rest of it some other time. Hmm. I should look that up and see if I can watch it (thankfully he always records the streams).

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 05.22.2014, 08:19 PM.

05.22.2014, 08:16 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Scourge of War - Gettysburg (and the Napoleonic Mod for it) by NSD (NorbSoft Development). NSD is a little garage company and th eguys make the game in their spare time. Amazingly it has the best AI I have ever seen in any RTS, bar none. Been playing MP battles using that for over 2 years now.

Storm Eagle Studios' - Jutland is the other military game I play a lot, though it is sadly very buggy.

Apart from military RTS games I don't play anything else. I used to be into shooters at around the Doom 3, Quake 2, Half Life time but not any more. I never play FPS WW2 games because the historical inaccuracies and Hollywoodesque storylines make me cringe.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.23.2014, 12:49 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You should all give Video games another try like PS3 or PS4 ?

05.23.2014, 05:56 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I hardly even play games, haha. The few games I do own are Dead or Alive and Fatal Frame because I liked the franchise since long ago, the Forza series and the Tenchu series. I much prefer RPGs and stealth games to hack-n-slash because I believe a bad story makes a bad game, and stealth offers some thinking instead of mindless button mashing.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.23.2014, 10:59 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah I don't play so much nowadays. They're fun but I get distracted from them too easily and I'm not particularly good at them. I tend to pick up the latest Pokemon games, and I'm a big fan of the Metal Gear series. There are others I like too, but not many that I've bought/played very recently.

Of the others that have been mentioned, I have the DS Ni no Kuni, but I've barely played it because it's all in Japanese and that means it takes so much extra effort. Okami is one of my favourites too, and I might try the DS sequel/spin-off some time, though I hear it isn't as good. The Tenchu games are fun, and I've always wanted to play Fatal Frame/Zero but it's never happened.

Another point - it's all well and good to suggest giving console games "another try", but it requires forking out a lot of money to get a piece of technology you wouldn't otherwise need. My home consoles are all old (N64, PS2) and my relatively new 3DS is actually my university's (I'll buy my own before I leave Japan). So if somebody just isn't that into games, it's a big expense to get an up-to-date console.

05.24.2014, 04:49 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wait, hold up. Your 3DS belong to your university?! Wow.

Talking about consoles, several emulators exist for several, including the PS2. You'll definitely need a decent rig to play the more sophisticated ones, and a few show considerable lag but overall it's an option if you can't get a console. I've been looking for a 2nd hand PS2 for a while now myself without luck.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.24.2014, 10:23 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, it's some weird thing they have, which I think gets them extra funding for being "innovative". We have them so we can do tasks using certain applications while we're in Japan, so they can see our progress. However, it's not well-handled at all, so I'm fairly sure most people aren't doing the tasks.

On the bright side I get to play games on it. Honestly, trying to play games in Japanese is far more educational than the tasks they set for us.

05.24.2014, 11:48 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
mastfish
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 05.26.14
  promoting studio ghibliPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mastfish Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Used to have all the consoles dont have any of the latest interested in destiny from bungie. Only playing dungeon keeper on mobile/ tablet just created a guild called studio ghibli hoping to get some more people into this great anime maker by being seen in the tournaments anyone playing would love you to join my guild :-)

05.26.2014, 02:47 PM mastfish is offline   Profile for mastfish Add mastfish to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm, haven't heard of Dungeon Keeper. If it's available for Android I might check it out.

Friend of mine has a really fun game for the DS... Final Fantasy Rhythm Theatre I think it's called? Something like that? Very fun. I'd like a DS but I know I would just waste so much time on it.

I've had the urge to start playing Okami again. I was on a personal quest to collect all the stray beads, so... I need to finish that. I don't know what it is about Okami, I can just keep playing it forever. I love it.

I also need to finish Final Fantasy X some time.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 05.26.2014, 02:58 PM.

05.26.2014, 02:56 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I recently played the pc versions of FF7,FF8, and played FF9 on a psx emulator for pc. Currently playing Okami, for the first time.. it's a great game so far!

Post last edited by jusomekid on 06.01.2014, 03:19 PM.

05.26.2014, 05:46 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In all fairness, consoles last years.

You can pick up a PS3 for about £140 preowned now

A 3DS £100

05.28.2014, 08:38 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Right now I'm playing Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, a DS game.
This game is so addicting. Once I started playing it, I couldn't stop. You can gain abilities from the enemies you kill, fuse a weapon with that ability to make a new cooler weapon and all kinds of crazy stuff. It's game-play style is a lot like Metroid. But, I wish someone would make a good old 2D Metroid game for DS, and still incorporate the use of the stylus and throw in some neat tricks like this game does. I haven't beat it yet, but I bet this game will just keep getting better.

Before I began Dawn of Sorrow, I was playing 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors. This game was really intense. Most of the time you are solving puzzles and escaping from rooms. Actually, there is probably more dialogue to read than anything else. It's basically an interactive movie/book. There are multiple endings to the game and most of them are bad. The goal is to get the good ending. I think this game sort of encourages learning, even though its main goal is probably just to tell a story. There are a lot of interesting themes, mostly involving math and science. But there are cool visual puzzles too, and even one that is for the most part a test of hearing. Speaking of which I really enjoyed the soundtrack. The plot's pretty good, it gradually reveals more and more of itself with each ending you accomplish. A little part of this game didn't really make sense to me, but I think it was intentionally made confusing. So, I didn't really care, because it was so intense in some of the final moments and I was so concerned for the characters. So... really intense plot. It'll make you think! If I had to compare it to a DS game, it's probably closest to Professor Layton. But, 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors is creepier, more serious, less puzzle-y and just plain different. A unique experience of its own. Anyway, I recommend both these games. They're great! I might have more to write about Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow once I finish it.

Check out my music:

Post last edited by Tea Master Tall on 07.04.2014, 03:00 AM.

07.04.2014, 02:58 AM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm having another stab at completing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I got stuck on it maybe a year or so ago and never picked it up again. But I plan to finish this time. Almost done with the first temple, which is teeedious. I'll be happier once I've progressed a bit further. I also bought The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword today. Looking forward to playing that once I'm done with Twilight Princess. I've seen some of a playthrough of it and it looks good. I also adore Ghirahim, one of the villains (I get the impression he isn't the main one, though I don't really know).

My Anime List

07.30.2014, 03:03 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

https://pokemmo.eu/
Been on this for the past week or so.

09.25.2014, 05:47 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The last video game I recall playing at home was Legend of Zelda and my kids beat the snot out of me in the game. Donkey Kong, Mario Brothers...

My fav arcade game was Asteroids... or if that wasn't available, then Centipede...

09.25.2014, 09:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Koda
Ohmu

Just got FF IV been playing Witcher 3, Arkham Knight and Dishonored again haha

07.06.2015, 09:44 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ayami is impatiently waiting for Fallout IV which is due for release on the 10th November.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.06.2015, 12:26 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

It looks really good, but so does SW Battlefront 3 !!

07.06.2015, 01:16 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Dragon Age 2, Valdis Story, Never Alone, and Where Is My Heart! I've been working on DA2 forever basically, and right now I'm in the third part. So I think I'm close to done? The game's not actually that great, but it's not-that-great in a charming way.

07.14.2015, 02:25 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks