QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern Ask Me Anything
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Tavern Ask Me Anything » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Tavern Ask Me AnythingPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I realize it's been a while since we had a new thread here!

Inspired by a random question I had for Arren. If anyone else has questions for other members, post them here. You can call out specific folk and request they answer your question or leave it open for anyone to address.

So Arren, you've been living in Japan for a while now (assuming you are still there?). What were some misconceptions you had about the place that you've cleared since moving there? Maybr give us one that you were happy to have cleared and one that disappointed you.

12.12.2023, 04:12 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is a fun idea! It's always nice to have something new

So actually, I'm NOT still living in Japan! I left in 2020 for a variety of reasons and now I'm in Edinburgh again as a graduate student.

I'm still happy to try and answer your question though. Something that makes it a bit tricky is that I went twice - first for a year as an exchange student, and then for four+ years working. That means that by the time I was there long-term, I think a lot of my misconceptions had already been cleared up, but I can think of a few things in general that I'd thought way at the beginning and came to really see were inaccurate.

One disappointing misconception: "Japan is high tech."
Japan obviously has a lot of technological innovations and makes quite a big deal out of some areas like robotics and stuff. These things ARE true, but in day-to-day life, a lot of things proved to be noticeably LESS high tech than in, say, Scotland or the US. The continued use of fax is one that I think people are relatively familiar with, but that wasn't even a big deal to me. It was more the fact that so many things require you to do things in person, over the phone, or using paper forms, when I'd expect to have online options elsewhere. Websites themselves are often very hard to navigate. You couldn't always count on being able to pay for things by card (I believe this has changed a bit more with the pandemic). Etc.
The point is, the technology clearly exists, in Japan and elsewhere, to make a lot of simple things much easier, but all too often the reality is frustratingly low tech. It means that you spend more time than you really should need to on tedious bureaucracy (another thing that there's a lot of in Japan).

One positive misconception: "Japan is expensive."
In some ways, it's true that living in Japan is expensive. Certain thing can be pricey, like some grocery items or services, and there often isn't the super-low-price alternative that you'd find in shops in other countries. There is also a certain base level of expenses that can feel like a lot, through various taxes and fees and stuff. But especially since leaving Japan, I've come to really appreciate how inexpensive some things can be - and realise that sometimes I was just being cheap! You can go out for pretty decent food for less than a much more average meal here, and even though fees for public transport add up a bit, you can get quite far without needing to spend THAT much (it's also more efficient and generally better, but that's another point...).
So yeah, depending on where you are (but also in general to some extent), there are things that are actually pretty cheap in Japan!

12.14.2023, 06:35 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi everyone long time no see. Hope everyone is doing well.

Question to all who are available what are some interesting or uninteresting events in your life last 12 years (12 years because its 12 years i have been a member of tavern )

a lot happened in my life in the last 12 years. Although it felt time went super fast.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

01.11.2024, 02:11 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good to see you again, saviour...

So much has happened, I don't know if I can remember it all...

My Daughter finally got her divorce for cause and is now happily remarried...

I have 3 more Grandkids... (or is that 4?, I'll have to check the timing)... Lost another Grandson to an auto accident...

I am now even more of an Old Guy... 77 yo now... (sigh)

Lost a Niece to a drug overdose... She had been 'clean' for quite awhile...

also her Mother to heart failure...

Checked on new Grandkids in last 12 yrs... 5 new ones under the age of 12...

01.11.2024, 10:47 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@arren: thanks for the answer. Both the positive and negative are a surprise to me!

And hi Saviour! Good to see you still kicking around

If I think about the last 12 years, they're the most eventful of my life. Graduated university, went through a phase of adventure and self discovery, found a career, got married, had 2 kids. Also traveled to a good number of places... including my first time traveling abroad by myself back in 2013, honeymoon, driving across the country, traveling for work to obscure towns I would never go to otherwise, and traveling with our kids. I can't imagine a happier duodicennial if I tried. It has made me thankful and also fearful of loss. But also weirdly unafraid because of all the growing I've done as a person and the amazing family I've been graced with.

Great question Saviour. Would love to hear your answer as well.

Husky: your life is such a rollercoaster and so expansive, I think you need a biographer and could have the next great American novel in you. <3

Post last edited by fenkashi on 01.14.2024, 07:35 AM.

01.14.2024, 07:13 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Fen nice to see you too. It is great how your last 12 years turned out. Wishing you more happiness in the next 12 years.

I second what Fen said. Husky i think you can write a book. You can use a dictation tool like google assistant or google keyboard if typing is difficult. How you saw different countries cultures people would be really interesting.

To answer Fen's question

Personally i have been hit quite hard, lost my grandfather, then uncle. Last year my mother has been diagnosed with CKD and now need to dialysis 3 times per week. This was one of the reasons why i am not active anymore.

Professionally my life has been quite good. Completed university. Got a decent job. Last year was assigned in the csuite(CTO) and managing a fairly large(150+) amount of people. Visited China and Switzerland for work and study purposes.

Last 12 years has been a rollercoaster for me. It feels like i have seen everything. it has both positive and negative aspects. It was a great learning for me.

I say Alhamdulillah for everything that has happened. And there has been a lot pockets of happiness. Like we had a great family tour just before my moms scikness was discovered. I bought my first car recently. I would not want to change anything as it is what made me who i am today.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.15.2024, 12:11 PM.

01.15.2024, 12:09 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry to hear about the hard times Saviour glad you've come out if it strong though. Sending prayers for your mom.

And congrats on your successes! That sounds like a lot of responsibility at work. Hope you're managing to enjoy it with all the stresses that must accompany it.

01.16.2024, 03:53 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I recently watched Whisper of the Heart again, and was feeling nostalgic and stumbled back on this forum. Imagine my surprise when I revisited this thread and found old friends still posting here! fenkashi, husky, arren, saviour - so nice to see your familiar names!

fen, it is great to hear about your journey! saviour, husky, sorry to hear about your hard times, but wishing for the best for your futures as well. arren, nice to hear about your experiences as well.

As for myself - I was a high school student entering university when I first started posting here - I believe in 2007, 16 years ago - and now I am in my 30s. I manage a team of engineers across the world, I have had relatives pass away unexpectedly, I have family who have gone through medical struggles, and I have a partner who has been with me for many years and with whom I hope to start a family soon.

It has been a roller coaster and I often think back to the days when life was simpler - when every day, I would log onto this forum to talk to online friends about Ghibli films and what they mean to me. I must admit that I do occasionally miss those carefree days, but I also think I have evolved too much since then to look back.

More than anything, when I think back to that student I was 16 years ago, what I know is that he benefited a lot from having a place to participate where it was normal - and respected - to analyze, dissect, and express our emotional responses to the Japanese anime films by Hayao Miyazaki - because that wasn't always the case in an average suburb in Toronto, Ontario, in 2007.

Things change - now these things are all public conversation! I can go to my cousins and tell them to watch Studio Ghibli films on Netflix. How the times change!

Post last edited by Theowne on 02.11.2024, 03:51 PM.

02.04.2024, 11:50 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

VERY Good to hear from you Theowne!!! It is ALWAYS a distinct pleasure to hear from past posters in the Tavern...

Note:
I use the term 'past posters' rather than 'past members', because although not the Tavern Admin, I look upon any Member's from the past (that were not removed by an Admin) as always being a Member ...

Post last edited by husky51 on 02.05.2024, 08:21 PM.

02.05.2024, 03:41 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Wow Theowne, what a throwback! So lovely to hear from you.

Very sorry for losses, and many congrats for the successes.

It's crazy to think about the time that's passed since we first signed up here. But also great to see everyone living such full lives. We did pretty well overall! Pat on everyone's back

I hope any other returning members that see will also drop a note to share how they've been.

02.11.2024, 01:54 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Theowne!! Don't know how I missed that!

It really is so strange to look back on how long it's been, and nice to hear a bit of what's happened in your life since! It really makes me wonder what other old members are up to now.

02.11.2024, 04:56 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well we have to be grateful to you that the site has been up for so long. So many of those older communities are lost in time, but the Tavern continues, and that's kind of special because it's as timeless as the Ghibli films themselves

16 years is a long time. There are classmates, friends family, whom I haven't seen in that long, and yet here we are somehow assembled, having only known each other virtually and bound by Ghibli. Quite something.

Post last edited by Theowne on 02.11.2024, 03:57 PM.

02.11.2024, 03:53 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
saviour2012
Baron

Good to see you too Theowne.

Yeah its quite something we still see so many old friends here.

It has been my long time wish since the beginning to have a face to face meet. Maybe someday 🙂

02.17.2024, 12:20 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks