QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  616  617  618  619  620  621  622  623  624  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks, husky. haha I kept thinking, "Oh god, what if I'm put on the alternate list?"

I know people get upgraded and there's a shot. The only thing that sucks is the waiting period. Everyone assumed I'd get a position so they're a bit disappointed I'm in limbo, but at least I didn't get rejected.

My friend got in though! Was really happy for her. She has already lived in Japan before and her boyfriend is from there.

04.04.2016, 05:09 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good luck FFF let us know how it goes.

LL: So sore and i have no idea why.

04.04.2016, 10:40 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not to be personal, but a lot would depend on where you are sore... Strained arm or leg muscle, chest, back, side. If chest, maybe see a doctor???

Regardless, hope you are feeling better soon...

And say hello to your hubby from us... One lucky guy to win your heart...

04.04.2016, 10:47 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks, fen! I've been looking around to see if there's any other alternates from my consulate... but I can't find anyone. ._. I wonder how small we are... I imagine Montreal gets a lot but judging from the interviews here, there might've been 20-30 people out of the four provinces in my area who were interviewed, and it's probably not that many.

Then again, the mood of the other alternates is sort of... depressing. lol I'm pretty optimistic about the whole thing. I really, really want to get the position but I'm also just happy I've made it this far. ^^

04.05.2016, 06:33 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: work work work, busy busy busy

HL: getting a lot of interesting reading done.

My Anime List

04.07.2016, 11:09 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nice, FFF! I know being on the alternate list is a bit nerve-wracking, and you might be waiting some time and then suddenly be sent out at very short notice, but if you do all the things they ask you to do in preparation, I think you have a decent chance of getting a place. I recommend not looking at what other people in the same position are saying, and also maybe looking at some other options as backup.

04.08.2016, 12:20 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Nice, FFF! I know being on the alternate list is a bit nerve-wracking, and you might be waiting some time and then suddenly be sent out at very short notice, but if you do all the things they ask you to do in preparation, I think you have a decent chance of getting a place. I recommend not looking at what other people in the same position are saying, and also maybe looking at some other options as backup.

Thanks, arren! I think I have a good shot at being upgraded. My friend on JET and a friend who was a former JET have been telling me not to sweat it and that they've known plenty of others who were upgraded, sometimes in the fall. But wow, are other people salty. I know being in limbo sucks but I wonder if their saltiness had a factor in them being made an alternate. haha

I'm not looking at alternatives for this year because I was thinking of going for my TESL certification if I don't receive word by September. I'll just focus on earning money and becoming better qualified so I can apply to different countries next year.

EDIT: Also, if you have any advice on alternatives though, I'd be open to hearing about them from you. Even though I'm not looking for one this year, next year I will.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 04.08.2016, 01:30 PM.

04.08.2016, 08:39 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Not to be personal, but a lot would depend on where you are sore... Strained arm or leg muscle, chest, back, side. If chest, maybe see a doctor???

Regardless, hope you are feeling better soon...

And say hello to your hubby from us... One lucky guy to win your heart...

Haha thanks husky ^^ I am fine now, it was just that one day that my back and shoulders were all sore. It might just have been me sleeping funny or spending too much time sitting at my desk.

And that is super sweet of you. I shall convey your greetings to le hubs

04.08.2016, 09:47 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: not needing to do my Japanese presentation until next week.

LL: extended essay due Wednesday, much work still to do... I'll be at the library all day and all night tomorrow to finish it. It's going to be great to finally get this out of the way. I'll be buying a bottle of wine Wednesday night and it'll be all for me.

My Anime List

04.11.2016, 08:19 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I don't remember if I mentioned how my presentation on BL went but it was great. I hate presentations and my prof made everyone clap for me when it was over because she knew how much I hate talking in class or in front of everyone... and I managed to present on such a topic without totally becoming a giggly mess. Puppies helped.

There was so much giggling and laughing. I was nervous they wouldn't understand the humour but that didn't seem to be the case.

04.11.2016, 10:16 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
EDIT: Also, if you have any advice on alternatives though, I'd be open to hearing about them from you. Even though I'm not looking for one this year, next year I will.

Interac is the most popular backup, since it's the same work as you do with JET, but with more choice of where you get sent. There are also several eikaiwa companies with their own systems, and they tend to be in and around bigger cities. The company I work for is one of those.

That's just a rough overview of what there is, but if you want to know anything more specific you can send me a PM any time.

04.12.2016, 11:55 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Glad the presentation went well, FFF! Would like to have seen it. ^^

HL: that damn essay is done, gone, out of the way and off of my mind.

True to my word I bought that wine and am enjoying it now.

My Anime List

04.13.2016, 09:53 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: fun night with friends last night. ^.^

LL: gaaah, deadlines. Japanese presentation this week.

My Anime List

04.17.2016, 05:12 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: i searched husky for his last post, it was 14 april. ten days have passed. anyone been able to contact with someone about him?

if you guys have not should i/we contact with his family members?

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.24.2016, 04:26 AM.

04.24.2016, 04:22 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Best not to interfere. His daughter has an account here. She'll let us know any news.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.24.2016, 04:27 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm done university!!

04.24.2016, 06:13 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Wha? That's amazing, FFF. Congratulations!

HL: watching a bunch of yaoi and yuri anime with my friend. :') Research for our presentation next week.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 04.24.2016, 06:45 PM.

04.24.2016, 06:44 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thank you! I'm so happy it's over with. I'm just hoping I passed everything.

Also if you need any help for presenting on BL I'll totally help~. My best friend had me explain my research to her the other day. haha

04.24.2016, 10:50 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Aw, thank you. I wish we'd had more time to prepare. I'm feeling a little down about this presentation now because my partner, enthusiastic as she seems, obviously hasn't read half the things I sent her. I can see we're not quite on the same page much of the time and so much that I say seems new to her. u_u *sigh* Ah well. I'm kind of meticulous with my work, especially on a topic like this that's personal and interesting and important to me, but I can't be that way with this because she's... sensitive. So I've got the battle of trying to keep this factually accurate and good while working with someone who doesn't really seem to understand the subject very well but can't be told as much.

It's frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I love this person. It's me, not them. I need things to be 'just so' but that's not possible in collaborative work...

'Scuse the venting.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 04.25.2016, 09:22 PM.

04.25.2016, 09:22 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

My girls arrive tomorrow!! Yay. Hope they don't mind how chilly it is in Canada. I'm so excited to meet them all. Really curious how to actively befriend nine people at once plus more.

I love working with Japanese students. <3 I'm feel pretty indifferent about not being upgraded yet to teach in Japan and it probably won't happen but I'm glad I get these sort of opportunities in Canada.

05.05.2016, 09:11 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  616  617  618  619  620  621  622  623  624  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks