QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  558  559  560  561  562  563  564  565  566  ...    »  ]
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
said that there's more important issues around to be discussing

This is seriously one of the dumbest things you can say in any conversation. Unless that person spends their entire life discussing how to end the world's wars, disease, and hunger, they're in no position to criticise. You know what it means when someone says this? It means 'I don't like what you're saying, but I can't think of a good argument against it so I'll just belittle you instead'.

My Anime List

10.26.2014, 07:05 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, some people really reveal their own stupidity and lack of depth when they think they're being smart and putting you down. I have a little chuckle at these people and move on.

Given the subject you were raising maybe they're a closet racist too? Who knows.

Inter-racial dating? I think it's cool. If nothing else its a key foundation for getting different cultures to understand more of each other. If the world gets filled with inter-racial marriages and families this has got to be a good thing for everyone as the barriers are being broken down.

*hugs FFF*

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.26.2014, 07:51 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL1: New job is going well, but is exhausting.

HL2: Meeting someone new. Who knows where it might go.

HL3: Online friends, man did we laugh so hard tonight. I love these guys.

LL0: None yet for a few days. Maybe my 2 years of bad luck is coming to an end.

LL1: Ah, yes, forgetting the edit button. Gnnn.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 10.27.2014, 03:28 PM.

10.26.2014, 07:52 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks guys. I went back to check the thread and wow... it sorta got worse. One guy called me judgmental for pointing out how some white guys will chase after only Asian girls (which I thought most people acknowledged the fetishization of women of colour in western culture (and also vice versa)...). Or other women based on their race. This is actually common here, and my friends point it out to me too. But maybe it's just my boyfriend and I's background that makes it easier for us to tell this (we're not talking about regular guys, but the ones who only date Asian girls, etc.).

It's also pretty sad seeing people say that me and another girl, who are in interracial relationships, tell us we can't handle sarcasm and that if we point out if someone has used a wrong term that they get mad and say they should be allowed to because freedom of speech (yeah, let's ignore the fact it's a discriminatory word). The fun thing is, it's only guys arguing against us.

Anywho.

10.27.2014, 10:59 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, don't worry about it, Saddles, you are just in a euphoric state of mind... lol

@FFF

I told my kids all along that I didn't care what race they dated or married, be they black, white, or purple with green polka-dots, that was their business. My only concern was that a young married couple had enough new issues to deal with being newly married, without having to deal with a lot of society's feelings against inter-racial marriages.

That said, my daughter was still worried about telling us that she was seeing a Saudi Muslim and I don't know why. This was before 9/11, so that public sentiment wasn't prevalent in the US at that time. I gently chewed her out about it at the time. She was her own woman and had to make these decisions on her own. I think her marriage fell apart mainly from cultural differences and the fact that she grew up in the USA where male and female mingled freely as good friends and nothing more.

Quite a bit different from living in the KSA. Her husbands outlook was that it was alright to be abusive, that it was his right as her husband, but breaking arms and refusing medical treatment was a bit over the line, even there. My dau felt trapped and didn't know where to turn until the incident with him and their daughter occurred, then the tigress roared, so to speak, protecting her cubs. It has been hard and she is still struggling, but she has her faith (Islam) and her kids to keep her going and she speaks a lot with family and friends via texting. She has gotten help from many unexpected sources while over there, including lesser members of the royal family...

HL:
Things are going well, so far...

10.27.2014, 11:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
The fun thing is, it's only guys arguing against us.

Anywho.

ONLY GUYS!!!

But, but... I'm a guy... lol

Stiff upper lip and all that UK jazz, lol

==================================

HHL:
Oh yeah! I'm a grandpa again... pretty little girl... 18th grandchild... I feel so old, but no great-grand babies yet... yay! R and M have received a number of proposals, but their papa says "NO, not until you are living under my roof again"... which I don't see happening anytime soon... Now ALL my kids have at least one of each sex...

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.27.2014, 11:10 AM.

10.27.2014, 11:03 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@husky

thanks for that update on your daughter

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

10.27.2014, 12:27 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

@ FFF - sounds like you just shouldn't bother with that subject on that forum. Walk away time I think. The internet is not the best place to raise sensitive subjects you're passionate about - you're basically shouting out loud to a concert hall full of strangers and those who reply remain anonymous so yeah, you'll get some useless responses.

Try not to let it get to you is the main thing.

10.27.2014, 03:31 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I should have known. Sadly, some of the posters are people I've talked to over the years. It's just sort of sad to see how close minded some individuals can be.

LL: I have so much to do for next week. Anyone mind helping me come up with a topic for my feminist research course? It can be on anything, so if there's something of interest to you, please share and I'll look into the subject. I usually try to stay within the realm of intersectionality and gender identity.

10.28.2014, 11:35 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Yeah, I should have known. Sadly, some of the posters are people I've talked to over the years. It's just sort of sad to see how close minded some individuals can be.

LL: I have so much to do for next week. Anyone mind helping me come up with a topic for my feminist research course? It can be on anything, so if there's something of interest to you, please share and I'll look into the subject. I usually try to stay within the realm of intersectionality and gender identity.

well you can research on the movement inside the feminist organizations to involve males in the feminist movement, also if the males and females are actually positive of helping each other out.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

10.29.2014, 03:39 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
quote:

well you can research on the movement inside the feminist organizations to involve males in the feminist movement, also if the males and females are actually positive of helping each other out.

That's actually a great idea. I might need to make it a bit more specific, but it'd be a good start. Or even just the role of male feminists in the feminist movement. My topic doesn't have to directly tie into feminism either, but I have to use a feminist researcher perspective.

10.29.2014, 03:08 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

LL:
Got screwed around with again today...

I received a call 3 weeks ago to come in to the prosthetics clinic today at 9:15am to get my knee braces. THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ME DOWN ON THEIR APPT. SHEET!!! "Well, sir, you can come back sometime later this afternoon and we'll fit you in somehow"... Yeah, wait around for who knows how long and then have to deal with afternoon, going home traffic. No, thanks.

So now, Kevin (their nice, nice guy), has me down for a 9:am appt NEXT Thursday and I will positively get my knee braces fitted to take home with me...

Yeah, right... we'll see...

sigh

10.30.2014, 01:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Highlight: got one of the references for my JET application and the transcript from my year abroad! Also redid a group presentation that faced technical difficulties this time last week. A pretty good day!

10.30.2014, 02:50 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

LL:
Only had 4 kids come by tonight and they were all in one group...

sigh...

11.01.2014, 03:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Were they impressed by your scary mask?

From what I can judge as a disinterested adult with no small children into the event, in Britain in the last 5 years or so there has been a change with Halloween. It is now far less about knocking on stranger's doors and trick-treating (unless its teens out to be a nuisance) and more on parties for the very young children organised by parents and arranged in groups of friends in the warmth and safety of a home.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 11.01.2014, 05:58 AM.

11.01.2014, 05:55 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Yeah, it's the same here, Saddles...

But the look of pure joy on the faces of the kids (what I could see of them) on receiving the free candy was priceless... I turned off my porch light at 9pm...

11.01.2014, 09:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Highlight: got one of the references for my JET application and the transcript from my year abroad! Also redid a group presentation that faced technical difficulties this time last week. A pretty good day!

Yay! I'm worried about getting references. My boyfriend has no problem getting great, thorough references but I'm always so quiet I don't know if anyone will write me one (particularly professors). I have tons of work related references and the group I volunteer for probably would. It's just the academic reference I'm worried about... I'm not doing so great in university and the profs for my departments are varied and might not do one for me.

Although I really hope one might..

Also, oddly Halloween is still pretty big here. I haven't really heard of children having parties on Halloween. We get less kids at our house because kids can't walk there and need a drive. Older kids also go trick-or-treating. My sister went to the city with her friend trick-or-treating and got two huge sacks of sweets that she split with me. In my university town, it's not surprising if students go trick-or-treating. The residences also have trick-or-treating.

11.01.2014, 04:15 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sounds like you guys had fun. Or generally

Me, my cousin got married, after which the rest of us cousins not going on a honeymoon went to catch a movie.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

11.02.2014, 12:28 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: My flatmates were being so loud and annoying so late at night last night that security had to warn them several times and eventually threatened to call the police. :| And I didn't eat all night because they and some friends of theirs I'd never met were being all drunk and rowdy in the kitchen and I was too intimidated to go into that situation. I mean, don't get me wrong, my flatmates are decent enough people but last night just needs to not happen ever again.

My Anime List

11.02.2014, 09:25 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by arren18

Yay! I'm worried about getting references. My boyfriend has no problem getting great, thorough references but I'm always so quiet I don't know if anyone will write me one (particularly professors). I have tons of work related references and the group I volunteer for probably would. It's just the academic reference I'm worried about... I'm not doing so great in university and the profs for my departments are varied and might not do one for me.

Don't worry too much about being able to get one. I think if you ask a nice teacher they're not going to turn you down. The only issue is that you want to choose somebody you have a decent relationship with, so that they can write a more specific and therefore useful reference.

11.02.2014, 10:08 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  558  559  560  561  562  563  564  565  566  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks