QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  649  650  651  652  653  654  655  656  657  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good timing fen! Nice to see you. How are things, apart from the weather?

03.20.2018, 11:25 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Recent lowlight: some internet problems. It's not quite back to normal, but at least I've figured out how to get online for now.

Recent highlight: right when the internet went down, I got a job offer! It's not exactly my dream job and there are some disadvantages, but at least it gives me some of the things that I was wanting.

03.24.2018, 09:02 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's good news, arren! What sort of job is it?

My Anime List

03.24.2018, 09:34 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

all right, arren

03.24.2018, 10:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

It's more teaching, but this time in a regular school, so it'll be Monday-Friday with normal daytime hours. The schedule in this job made it hard to get a good work/life balance, so that's an improvement for sure.

03.25.2018, 09:15 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
It's more teaching, but this time in a regular school, so it'll be Monday-Friday with normal daytime hours. The schedule in this job made it hard to get a good work/life balance, so that's an improvement for sure.

wow great news arren.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

03.26.2018, 06:38 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's good to hear, I can understand it being difficult without having a proper schedule like that. Hope you enjoy the new position!

HL: dad and I bought a new fishtank today! Nothing in it yet but some rocks and gravel, it needs a week or so before the water is good to put fish in. Not sure yet what we're going to get. We saw some black phantom tetra at the aquarium and they looked really good, so we'll probably pick up a few of those. I liked the idea of pygmy puffer fish but it seems they're a bit aggressive. I reckon shrimps or something to eat the algae would be a good idea. Lots of possibilities. It's fun having a fresh start. :3

My Anime List

03.27.2018, 02:40 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Congrats Arren! Sometimes jobs that don't seem like the best fit can pleasantly surprise you. I hope this is one of those

I'm doing well other than the weather haha. More snow and cold incoming. Looking forward to Easter though. Chocolate and good cheer. Also made some plans to visit my brother on the west coast this summer so excited about that.

03.27.2018, 11:13 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Where does your brother live, fen... I mean just the city or region. I was born in Vancouver, myself... It's been over 50 years since I've been able to visit...

03.28.2018, 01:52 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Moving house. Going to Peterborough which is by far NOT the nicest city in England, but there are some lovely villages round about towards the Fens and plenty of good pubs. The connection to London is good and this house has a huge garage (to be converted into my model railway empire).

LL: Moving house

Also - congrats Arren and good luck!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.28.2018, 04:24 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
thanossapiens
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
HL: Moving house. Going to Peterborough which is by far NOT the nicest city in England, but there are some lovely villages round about towards the Fens and plenty of good pubs. The connection to London is good and this house has a huge garage (to be converted into my model railway empire).

Also - congrats Arren and good luck!

What's so bad about that place?
Also, is it common for people to commute to London from this far away?

03.28.2018, 07:25 AM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:

Good on the rest of it, but I understand about the moving part of it. I've done WAY too much of it in my life... I keep a supply of folded cardboard boxes in the garage just in case. I've been in this rental 2-bdrm house for 14 yrs... a record for me. lol

03.28.2018, 09:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Thanks for the nice messages. Good luck with moving, Saddles! I hope it all works out with minimal stress.

03.28.2018, 10:46 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
What's so bad about that place?

Peterborough had a nice old medieval centre which has been destroyed by modernisation. The cathedral and precincts are nice but the city grew in Victorian times around the railway yards so its just a cruddy industrial town from which all the industry has now died. The shopping centre is soulless...

The bonus is the countryside round-about. The Fens and the Wash and Lincolnshire coast are close.

And yes, plenty of people commute to London from here and from much father north - Grantham, Sheffield, Leeds...

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 03.28.2018, 12:42 PM.

03.28.2018, 12:41 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
thanossapiens
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, the destruction of the old buildings, which were mostly replaced by bland modern buildings is absolutely awful... it erases the country's heritage and it's basically irreversible.
Most of them are so ugly it makes me depressed. And no one I know of likes them either...

The damage that happened here was very extensive.
Greece has a very long history but it will disappear in the end.

(as you can see there is not a single ugly building in the first pic)

I would definitely prefer to live in a small untouched village/town and commute to the city...

By the way, commuting from Leeds sounds crazy, that's more than 200km away...

03.28.2018, 01:44 PM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

If the work is interesting enough and/or pays well enough, a long commute can be acceptable.

My worst commute was driving back and forth between downtown Long Beach and downtown Los Angeles during rush hours, 24 miles of hell until I was able to find a much better and closer job. Paid more and was more interesting. The main freeway interchange was I went through was reputed to be the highest volume interchange in the nation at the time.

Unfortunately, the US, generally speaking, does not have a very efficient or even existent mass transportation system.

After I was laid off from a job one time, I was recommended for and was hired for a job, that was 35 miles away. I continued this job for 6 months while waiting for an opening at the Calif Highway Patrol Inspection Facility where I was eventually hired.

03.28.2018, 03:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thanos, I went to Athens when I was in my early teens on holiday with my family. It was easter and we watched the torchlight parade from the Lycabettus hill. It was an amazing experience for me since I was so young and when the cannon fired from the top (we were very near) I nearly jumped out of my skin.

I have many good memories of that holiday, we toured all over the Pelopponese but the memory of thousands of lit torches winding their way through innumerable streets towards me in the dark is one I wil never forget.

I also recall that the Greeks like the British because we tried hard to help them fight the invading Germans in WWII - I do recall many bar and restauant owners being incredibly friendly.

That second picture you posted is a very sad scene.

03.28.2018, 04:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Unfortunately, the US, generally speaking, does not have a very efficient or even existent mass transportation system.

You've got that right. As someone who doesn't drive, I've always found American public transport to be terrible. I'm lucky I ended up in Japan, where you can get around so much more easily.

03.28.2018, 08:12 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, when I was homeported in Yokosuka, Japan for over a year and a half. I wasn't always IN Japan, a lot of that time was either in Vietnamese waters or heading back and forth. But, while in Japan, I seldom had the family car to drive, our Mustang, My ol' man usually had it... so I usually rode the train and bus back and forth between our home and the base. Very easy to do, downtown Yoko, where the base was, out to Hayama Kokusai, the suburbs of Yokosuka.

03.29.2018, 12:23 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
thanossapiens
Kodama

quote:
Thanos, I went to Athens when I was in my early teens on holiday with my family. It was easter and we watched the torchlight parade from the Lycabettus hill. It was an amazing experience for me since I was so young and when the cannon fired from the top (we were very near) I nearly jumped out of my skin.

I have many good memories of that holiday, we toured all over the Pelopponese but the memory of thousands of lit torches winding their way through innumerable streets towards me in the dark is one I wil never forget.

I also recall that the Greeks like the British because we tried hard to help them fight the invading Germans in WWII - I do recall many bar and restauant owners being incredibly friendly.

That second picture you posted is a very sad scene.

You must have come ages ago if it wasn't like this. Now the only places worth visiting are the islands.
I don't think greeks particularly like the British, at least not more than they like most other countries, but of course they are not hated, like the Germans are.

Speaking about this stuff, Studio Ghibli always has amazing looking environments in their movies.

They are usually modeled after real life locations, but they always put their touch to make them look even better.

03.29.2018, 07:31 AM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
[  «    ...  649  650  651  652  653  654  655  656  657  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks