QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  634  635  636  637  638  639  640  641  642  ...    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

how do you rope climb? does not your palm hurt like hell?

i think there are two types in one case you try to scale a rope net and in another you climb a single rope.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

04.06.2017, 12:57 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahahaha, I surely don't do it now, but it was hand by hand up a single rope with just the hands, no holding on with feet or legs.. I found it easier that way, also faster... I had a great deal of natural upper body strength back then...

04.06.2017, 04:29 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
hahahaha, I surely don't do it now, but it was hand by hand up a single rope with just the hands, no holding on with feet or legs.. I found it easier that way, also faster... I had a great deal of natural upper body strength back then...

when you used to do it did it not hurt? my palm skin is kind of sensitive cause when i tried to do it several times it hurt so much that i thought blood might come out if i try more. Strength is certainly an issue too.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

04.06.2017, 09:31 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wowie, I don't think I could do that. I struggle with just pull-ups.

HL: Almost the weekend, and I'm in desperate need of free time so I can finish reading Umineko and Isakaya. Oh, btw, I started reading Isakaya again. I'm hooked.
LL: It's very cold and track practice was brutal today.

04.06.2017, 05:27 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The funny thing was, I could do chin-ups ok, but pull-ups not so good. Thinking back I don't think I went through any kind of muscle training or development like weight lifting or anything like that. I was just naturally had upper body strength. At 15 I had a 40 inch chest but only 3 yrs later, I only weighed 145 lbs when I joined the Navy.

Through much of my life, when something needed to be moved, I moved it. I'm not bragging, it was just the way it was for the most part.

And to answer your question, saviour, no, I do not remember it hurting my hands unless I slid down too fast after my climb. It was important to clear the rope quickly for the next climber so I usually gripped the rope between my shoes and slid down holding on as lightly as possible with my hands.

04.06.2017, 06:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: It's the weekend!
LL: We watched The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in Honors World History today, and it made me depressed for the entire rest of the day.

04.07.2017, 06:08 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL/HL: I'm laid off from work for a little while.

But I bought supplies to get started in embroidery, have a list of films to watch, and a teaching application to fill out. Plus thinking now as long as the weather warms up I'd like to go for more walks in the forest/along the beach.

I think as long as I give embroidery a shot it's going to end up being a very fun hobby for me. I always loved to draw and felt bad when I gave that up (I regret not continuing to keep up with my art). I think it'll be a perfect way to express myself creatively.

04.07.2017, 11:27 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I like doing mandelas myself... Maybe I'll post some of my finished 'art'... I call it art because of the colors that I apply to the pattern. It is MY joining together of the different colors that make the pattern colorful to my eye... ergo... Art

some patterns take less than an hour to complete because the sections of the pattern will color fully with just one click of the mouse. Most, however, require that each and every section of the mandela pattern be painstakingly filled in bit by bit and can take hours and hours of effort to complete...

04.08.2017, 01:50 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HHHL: I'm just back from a fantastic weekend away. Yesterday I went to Takarazuka to finally see the famous Takurazuka Revue, and they. Were. S p e c t a c u l a r! The songs, the drama, the costumes~! I cannot wait to go back. Even the city of Takarazuka, at least the part we were in, was quite lovely. We walked down the Hana no Michi, "flower path", which as the name suggests was flanked by lovely flowerbeds and cherry trees which were in full bloom. Some of the paving stones were decorated with designs from Osamu Tezuka's manga (sadly we didn't have time to visit the museum dedicated to his work). There were statues of Takarazuka actresses along the way too, I was so happy to find the one of Lady Oscar and André from The Rose of Versailles.

After the show we left Takarazuka for Kyoto and my friend and I spent the night in a manga café. I've slept in comfier settings, but it was actually rather good value for money, I think. 2500 yen for the night, including unlimited free drinks, free shower, extra blankets and cushions and so on.

Had breakfast in a rather hipster and expensive crêperie, then we headed to Gion. I saw my first maiko and geisha today! We were lucky enough to catch a dance performance by the two of them in a theatre we were passing by. They were beautiful, it was so elegant.

My Anime List

04.09.2017, 10:38 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sounds like you had a great time! I have been to the Osamu Tezuka museum and it's very interesting, but I haven't done a lot else in Takarazuka. It's easy for me to get there though so I'll definitely go again.

And I was in Kyoto today myself! I met some old friends and we ate and went to karaoke and stuff.

04.09.2017, 11:46 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

HL/LL:
hahaha, I love the descriptions of where you guys are and the fun you're having, but I hate the fact that I am not there seeing these things for myself. When I was over there, many of these things didn't exist or I didn't know of them at the time....

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.09.2017, 12:32 PM.

04.09.2017, 12:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Awwww that sounds wonderful, Kaz and Arren I can't wait to go to Japan some day.

HL: I saw Your Name today with a friend on the big screen. I was not prepared emotionally.
LL: Ugh, I have to go back to school tomorrow. I'm so ready for summer.

04.09.2017, 05:14 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

HL: I get a four day weekend because of Easter! Hooray! Also, I applied for a job, I have an interview on Saturday. Wish me luck!
LL: I don't really have a lowlight. Instead I have a question. What was everyone's first job?

04.12.2017, 09:51 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by FlareNetworkC
HL: I get a four day weekend because of Easter! Hooray! Also, I applied for a job, I have an interview on Saturday. Wish me luck!
LL: I don't really have a lowlight. Instead I have a question. What was everyone's first job?

My first job was as a home tutor. But the first job I was hired for, I was a janitor.

I actually loved being a janitor.

04.12.2017, 10:57 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

When I was 16 I worked for free at a small grocery in my neighborhood for free cokes and free meals when the owner cooked lunch in the back kitchen and the experience. Then at a small tire recapper helping out and doing small mechanical jobs like greasing axles, also for the experience and a few bucks a day...

At 17 also did caddy work and other helping out in the pro shop between caddy jobs. Also worked on the little gasoline golf carts.

After dropping out of school, I worked at two other jobs while waiting until I was 18 and old enough to join the Navy... Carnival work on a Scrambler ride, including set-up and tear down; Worked in the fountain area of a Shoney's Big Boy restaurant with roller skating car hops...

From the time I was 14 or so I earned most of my money walking the street with an old push type lawn mower cutting lawns and baby sitting (where most of my money came from...

This was my early working history...

04.12.2017, 11:31 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Wowie, you both had some interesting jobs!

HL: We got to talk about Beyonce in Honors English today. We listened to a TED Talk and the lady who gave the TED Talk is the same lady who does the "We Should All Be Feminists" bit in Flawless.
LL: I'm sick. Had to miss track practice today. Ugh, and right as break starts too.

04.13.2017, 06:33 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Uh huh, sure, sick... just as Spring break starts and your parents have a bunch of chores for you... uh huh, we know....

lol

04.13.2017, 07:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My first job was an Assistant Geophysicist working for an American company called GSI who were a subsidiary of Texas Instruments. It sounds pretty glamorous but it was in Croydon so that bumps it down to earth.

GSI had field crews working in Saudi Arabia surveying for oil. They used what are called vibrator trucks which are great big 4WD flatbed trucks with heavy weights and powerful electric motors mounted on them. A set of about six or twelve of them would work in unison all cabled together and the vibrator motors running from a central computer in a control truck. The vibe trucks were jacked up and huge pressure plates set down under them to the sand and when ready a powerful pulse was sent down through the plates to the subsoil and far underground.

The vibrator trucks were shifted carefully in a close pattern across the desert, back and forth in a sweep covering 100s of sq kilometres.

What we did in the UK was take the data which was on old magnetic tape reels and run various tests and programs on a mainframe computer that filled a huge room - we filtered the data and enhanced it and finally producing a hard copy print out that was called a 'section' and showed a slice down through the earths crust that the top boys (real geophysicists) assessed and evaluated for oil-bearing fields.

I could have gone out to Saudi and worked in one of the company compounds on crew support duties but chose not to: I was pretty innocent then and Saudi sounded like a scary place.

My starting salary in 1981 was £200 a month. £2400 a year! I thought I was rich!

I worked there 5 years until the site closed and the operation was moved to the main TI office in Bedford. I could have moved with the job but chose not to.

It was quite a fun job for a 19 YO fresh out of school and I made some very good friends there and even met my future wife via a friend I met in that office so that job changed my life, or rather, it set it up and running down a path I've followed ever since.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 04.13.2017, 07:32 PM.

04.13.2017, 07:28 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Husky, I already had spring break silly! I'm on Easter break now, which is only a four day weekend.

04.13.2017, 07:33 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
I was at the library buying some novels for reading and met an old co-worker and his 12-13 yr old daughter. As I was talking to him, she exclaimed, "Princess Mononoke"!...
She had seen my tattoo on the right arm. I showed her the other one and she said "Totoro"!... I told her about the Tavern and explained what we were about and asked her, with her parents permission, to check it out... That's what I like about my tats, people of all ages recognize them and we start talking...

04.14.2017, 01:33 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  634  635  636  637  638  639  640  641  642  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks