QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  433  434  435  436  437  438  439  440  441  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its good that you're able to move on. Sometimes things gnaw away at your insides for ages, and that can wear you down. Good luck with the next great person you find!

*hugs*

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.04.2012, 12:37 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
It definitely seems rude to me FFF, especially because it excludes you. Have they something to hide? Why not carry on in English if they haven't? I would certainly ask them why they do it. Or maybe just cut into their conversation in English so they have to reply to you in English!

I came across this once or twice in Wales when I was holidaying when I was younger. You'd go into a small village shop where the owner and a customer were chatting away in English, they'd see you, see you were a tourist and instantly switch to Welsh. It's downright rude.

Oh, we get that plenty here with French people who refuse to speak English. haha But as for my boyfriend and his friends, it's just they aren't used to having someone English around outside of work. His friends talk to me on facebook but have told me they're embarrassed by their bad spoken English, although I can understand it fine. :B It just seems normal to them to carry on not speaking in English. The whole group has done it to one man's wife, and she doesn't know a lick of it (I refuse to marry him unless he teaches me as far as easy conversation.. I'd like to talk to his grandparents and family too).

I'm just the minority when I'm in a group with them, so.. It's not like they never talk English to me, but only if they have to. It's weird, yeah, but I try not and think of it too much. At least his sister keeps speaking English to me, unless it's something about someone she doesn't want them to hear, but uses enough English words for me to guess.

HL: Glad things are doing better for you, NC. :3

Gave my boyfriend a little token for the year we've known each other. It was special and he really loved it, which surprised me.

06.04.2012, 10:00 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't usually get annoyed when people speak in their own language, like some people tend to be annoyed if anyone speaks another language other than English in public ! But what annoys me is when i'm with a group of people, having a conversation and then they change the language.

Like one time there was three of us having a conversation, and the other two are South American and they were speaking in english but then they changed into spanish! I thought that was pretty rude, i was right there and they know i don't speak spanish.

06.04.2012, 10:55 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh yeah, I'm like you then. hehe I don't know, I think they just think it's fine. The older and younger ones seem to try and speak English to me more so I don't feel excluded when I'm with my boyfriend.

The other thing is, I can understand one dialect almost they're speaking, but most of his friends speak in two. So I get confused when they switch dialects too. o.e Sometimes my boyfriend translates for me.. They don't like excluding me. XD Especially if we're all eating together, because they want to make sure there is something I can eat and tell me what's in what.

HL: Graduation stuffies has beguneth. :B Cue tears (not from me).

LL: I just want to leave... the more graduation draws nearer, the more I realize how few people I meant anything to as a classmate or friend.. I just want to never come back.

06.05.2012, 03:25 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know that it is not the same, but we here in the Tavern are always here to share your joys and your woes with... and even your meh times... lol

HL:
Won twice at bingo last night and once tonight... another player commented on my 'luck'...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.06.2012, 03:28 AM.

06.05.2012, 04:58 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For the record, I live in a country where everyone speaks a multitude of languages... in the same sentence.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.06.2012, 04:46 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Also for the record...

Here in the USA, the average person raised in the States and speaking English as their first language also know about 1000 words of Spanish without realizing it. This doesn't even bring in the fact that many of our words in 'Americanese', so to speak (no pun intended) are actually words or corruptions of words in foriegn languages themselves... As well as ranch, fiesta, colorado, etc, almost every word in English that ends in 'tion'... by changing the pronounciation slightly, it means the same thing in Spanish...

example; nation = nacion (na-cee-own)

When I was a child, my mother used to tell me that I spoke French and gave me this example...

Parle vous, France'

Chevrolet coupe'

and

Buick sedan...

all of which, I later found out, ARE French words...
Even 'mukluks' are from the Eskimo tribes... (I meant Inuit, but I figured that more people would know the Eskimo reference)

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.06.2012, 06:18 PM.

06.06.2012, 06:52 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
For the record, I live in a country where everyone speaks a multitude of languages... in the same sentence.

Had I been born into a country or community like that, I think I wouldn't feel so out of the loop. XD But that sounds fun.

Sorry for complaining about that. :s

06.06.2012, 04:35 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I'm no family counsellor but it sounds to me that she maay not be completely OK with your major decisions about your gender or maybe she sees you and your dad very close and is envious. People can be pretty nasty and hurt others to make their own hurt feel less.

It'll be the latter if it's one of those. Things have been like this for a good few years now. I don't know what can even be done about that if it's the case; I find her so impossible to talk to.

HL: Passed my uni exams. Thank god. Also, have purchased The Sims 3. Very, very, very good fun.

My Anime List

06.06.2012, 06:47 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller

How does that work in Singapore? Like do most people speak multiple languages or are there still many people who only speak one language and stick to their community?

06.06.2012, 09:12 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's more commonly known as Singlish, which language experts hail as one of our most unique traits, and by contrast our government is trying to clamp down (oh the irony).

We often use words from a different language in our English sentences, and often vice versa as well. It's more of an evolution of the general community's own non-fluency in English that causes us to replace these words when speaking, and from there it became rather common to simply use a mish-mash of languages. The grammar suffers incredibly, as you can expect, too.

A typical Conversation:
"Kwai tien eh, I want go makan already leh."
"Wait lah, why you so kiasu one?"

(Could you hurry up, I want to go eat already.)
(Can't you wait, why are you in a rush?)

Kwai tien and kiasu is Chinese, while makan is Malay. Notice that the word "to" is dropped between "want" and "go", and is the cause of literal translation from Chinese/Malay sentence structure to English (there's no translation for the word "to". The extra words 'eh', 'leh' and 'lah' are carry-overs from the same two languages, often used to express focus on the subject (have no idea how the number one came to fall under the same category). Japanese speakers would learn this when they learn the difference between the 'wa' and 'ga' term.

Interestingly, 'lah' is now an official word in the Oxford dictionary, credited to Singapore, even though it's been argued that the word is originally Malay and ought to remain as that.

"Kiasu" is Hokkien, literally meaning "scared to lose", and is fast becoming the definition of being Singaporean. You fight for grades, you fight to be the first in a queue; hell, you even fight to be the first off the train and on the escalator (for reasons beyond even my understanding).

Here's a strange quote from a blog I found on the net:

quote:
These students learnt standard English in China, but when they came to Singapore, they were stumped by the poliferation of Singlist in every strata of the population they met. It is really sad that in Singapore, there are people who are not capable of saying complete sentences in either English or Mandarin. The sentences would go something like this:

Last night, hor, we went makan at East Coast Park. After eat, we go kai kai along the beach and paktor a little. If I were a foreign native English speaker, I would be stumped by this sentence. It's gibberish or I suppose Singlish that I profess not to write.

Many times, I have been ambushed by sales people who insist on coming after me in Singlish or Chinese. When I tell them that I do not understand either, they look stunned - a person with a Chinese face telling them in gramatically correct standard English that she does not understand.
You can read the whole post here.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.06.2012, 10:55 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

We have the same thing here in our Southwestern States called 'Spanglish'...

"Que Paso, mano?" Taken to mean, "What's happening, man?" but

Que= what
paso (actually shortened from pasar) = pass
mano= hand

another example:

English: truck
Spanish: camion
Spanglish: trouque (truk-eh)

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.07.2012, 04:50 AM.

06.07.2012, 04:49 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

People in my area drop and add certain words. XD I get it though.

The country my boyfriend grew up in spoke Malay, although I dunno if it was a dialect or not. He speaks in Taglish a lot (Tagalog mixed with English) but he hasn't thrown another into the lot, except another dialect. XD A lot of the newspapers in Taglish upset me since all the good stuff isn't in English. haha But his Taglish is different from others, because in newspapers it's all correct sounding.

This is cool.

06.07.2012, 05:06 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

and then there is the sometimes condescending 'pidgen English'

You alla time numba one boy, yes? or something like that...

06.07.2012, 05:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Wow i really find that interesting Roar. I think it would be so cool to speak in a mish-mash of languages. Is hindi commonly added to sentences too?

I also find the influence of the spanish language in America interesting too.

Australia is an extremely mono-lingual society. Most people just speak English and sadly less and less school children are learning another language, let alone becoming fluent in another one. Some governments have spent some time on trying to introduce more language learning in schools, particularly Asian languages as Australia is in the Asia-Pacific region, but there hasn't been enough commitment to make much of a difference.

06.07.2012, 09:41 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It's common here to hear a family speak perfect English, then suddenly switch to perfect French. There's different French dialects here too... a lot of them. XD It's really funny when someone can understand two or three of them, since they're all so different. I like Acadien. It's kinda a mish-mash, and the meaning of what you say can be quite interesting..

There was a university in Australia I looked into because it offered a slew of interesting languages. Here it's harder. T3T But the costs are still too high... makes me wish my family had moved there like my mother wanted, but then I wouldn't have met a certain someone.

HL: In two weeks, I will be done high school. Forever. So happy it's finally here! My teachers comments in my yearbook made me pleased. One read his aloud to me, telling me he expects me to go far in life. A couple others wrote the same thing.

It's nice, since now I can continue going forward with my life. I feel more with purpose to finally be leaving that school. Now I feel I can finally strive for what I've always dreamed for.

06.07.2012, 09:54 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Wow thats such a kind for your teachers to say!
Do you live in Quebec state?

What Australian university was that? The Australian National University?

06.07.2012, 10:42 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Nope, I don't live or have ever been to Quebec, but I live in the province beside it. :B Not Ontario, the smaller, often forgettable one.. I don't think Acadien French is spoken outside of the maritimes and maybe some places in the States.

I believe it was one in Sydney, and it didn't have that name. O:

HL: So today was my last regular day of high school. Next week, exams~.

I found out a well known film from the 80s was shot here in my little seaside town. o.o My mom lived elsewhere at the time and enjoyed telling her friends and everyone around her the different places and houses being shown in the movie while seeing it in theatres. There's only maybe 300 of us here in this little place, so.. XD But I really love it. Here, it is so beautiful.

My boyfriend picked me up today and we got ice cream.

06.08.2012, 09:21 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I am sick. I hate being sick.

This is not a highlight.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.09.2012, 09:54 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

oh, darn... I do so enjoy being sick...

The aches...

the chills...

the sneezing...

the coughing...

the fever...

lol

hope you're feeling better soon, Roar...

06.09.2012, 01:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  433  434  435  436  437  438  439  440  441  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks