QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not so much a movie as a dramatic play... "The Bloody Irish" Set in Ireland during the Easter Uprising of 1916... One of the Celtic Woman singers, Lisa Lamm, was one of the actors and David Downes directed... Very stark and moving...

03.18.2016, 04:48 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Rewatched Nausicaa for the first time since I saw it, since I just got it on blu-ray. Enjoyed it a lot more, but I think it's probably Miyazaki's weakest of his earlier works.

03.24.2016, 07:02 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

major spoiler for star wars fans
press ctrl+a to view

Spoiler!, highlight to read.

A lot of the concept and cinematic techniques( camera angles, stage setup) were directly copied from nausicaa of the valley of the winds. i did not like it much, it was too weak in story and also delivery. maybe i will give some pics when i get time

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

03.26.2016, 03:25 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched Laputa tonight. On this rewatch, I can safely say that it's probably my 3rd favorite Ghibli behind Totoro and Spirited Away, although those top two flip flop a lot.

03.27.2016, 10:34 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Maenad1
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.05.15
  Only YesterdayPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maenad1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Last night I watched "Sharknado" because my 8-year-old daughter wanted to see it -- it was as ridiculous as you might imagine. But last weekend I got a real treat; I was able to see the English dub of "Only Yesterday" at a historic movie theater. I never thought I'd get to see this movie on the big screen, let alone in English! I was enthralled the entire time; I sent my husband out for popcorn since I didn't want to miss a minute of the show! Seeing it with an English dub, I got a lot more out of it and felt I could relate to the story even more than I had in the past. (I do own what I think is a bootleg copy of the German edition of the film, which has English subtitles but they're only so-so.)

Anyway, it was a great experience to watch this wonderful film in a theater with other fans; everyone clapped after the ending, which I think is one of Studio Ghibli's best endings (and it always makes me cry).

03.28.2016, 11:17 AM Maenad1 is offline   Profile for Maenad1 Add Maenad1 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That is unusual as in movie theaters people don't usually applaud when a movie ends. At least here in the States.

03.28.2016, 12:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think Only Yesterday is a wonderful film. Its hard and often contentious to rate Takahata's work by "ranking" because Grave of the Fireflies is in there but to me OY is easily his best work. There is something so very honest, simple, loyal and real about it; about the lives of two people, thrown randomly together in a situation where their hearts blossom. Its a beautiful story beautifully told. I, like many others, enjoy floods of tears at the ending every time I watch it.

There is much in the story that allows older people to relate and I think that's the key to the film's success.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.28.2016, 02:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

damn you, Saddles, lol My eyes are watering just reading your post and thinking about the ending of "Only Yesterday"... lol

03.28.2016, 02:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Drat, I still need to see OY... Actually... WOW, I haven't seen ANY of Takahata's work! Wow, I have some watching to do.

Anyway, rewatched Spirited Away today, and I now think it's tied with Laputa and Totoro as my favorite Ghibli, though I'll need to rewatch Totoro to make sure.

04.01.2016, 12:20 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I thought we had an anime movie thread for some reason, but too tired to look haha.

So anyway, I watched a movie called Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda. Quite liked it. Young girl is a bit traumatized due to family drama and stops speaking for years, and then there's a musical! And there's romance and heartbreak and school setting... the usual coming of age type stuff, but idk, good.

04.01.2016, 09:37 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This was a while back, but I watched The Garden of Words. I'd been meaning to for ages. Underwhelmed, to be honest. I was expecting to like it better. It was one of if not the most visually beautiful film I've ever seen, but the story... didn't work so well for me. The climax felt forced and melodramatic. Throughout the film it felt as though a lot of information was missing, as if we were just getting disjointed glimpses of the characters' lives. I could live with that last aspect, but... mm. The interactions and emotions of the characters didn't seem natural, that's my main issue, I think.

My Anime List

07.27.2016, 04:12 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I downloaded 5cm/sec to watch it again. My story with this movie was that I got angry at the ending when I 1st saw it and dismissed it, then I came to think that, for causing strong reaction, even if negative, it was great movie. Finally, yesterday I thought to myself, if it's that great, let's see it again, right? And downloaded it. But, as soon as I opened it up in the player, I realized that I do not want to experience it 2nd time.

Now I think I will go watch independence day 2 in the theater, let's see them kicking some alien ass!

@Kazegami +1 on that one. Agree 100%, could not have said better myself.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 07.28.2016, 06:28 AM.

07.28.2016, 06:27 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

5cm was a strange one... Strange in that throughout the whole thing, I wasn't really feeling very much, and then in the last minutes the tragedy of it hit me like a train. Now, I've yet to watch it a second time, but for now I'd rate it very highly. Yes, the ending was depressing, but I appreciated the reality of it.

My Anime List

07.28.2016, 07:00 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

5cm is a typical Shinkai movie that deals with loss and distance. I too found it terribly sad, even depressing. I found the scene where the girl thinks the boy is texting someone when he is just writing texts he'll never send so very sad.

Garden of Words at least had a hopeful ending and to me that made it a much more satisfying story.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.28.2016, 10:23 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

The last three days I've watched:

Bark Ranger
Pixels
Minions
and now Pan

08.22.2016, 12:02 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw the new Kubo movie on premiere night. It was really beautiful. For some reason it made me cry at the end and I scared my sister after she took off her 3D glasses and looked over at me crying.

08.22.2016, 09:01 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i dont know if you guys watched Hear Me.

It is a fantastic Romance-Comedy film.

Actually if i tell anything about this movie then that will be spoiler.

To make you understand the quality of this movie, let me say it is on par with whisper of the heart.

The english(it is taiwanese movie) subtitle version is excellent. I can say you can hope similar magic(in a different way) like woth.

I have seen such a great movie after a long time. It is not blockbuster but its not gloomy art film too.

Greatly Recommended.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

09.02.2016, 05:01 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

this one?

edit: where are star wars pics you promised

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 09.03.2016, 05:30 AM.

09.03.2016, 05:24 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by makc

this one?

edit: where are star wars pics you promised

yup.

which star wars pics

edit: oh i remember. the one in the new star wars that is quite similar to nausicaa of the valley of the wind. i will upload them, i thought no one was interested in them. it will take some time as i deleted the star wars file. will upload it soon.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 09.03.2016, 11:42 AM.

09.03.2016, 11:42 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

this was good movie, right. although [spoiler? maybe]some biatch left the spoiler on wiki, and also, she does not say what she thinks of him (to her sister) until 3/4 of movie, and so that scene between them next to the pool seemed far, far less dramatic to me than it could be. again, that implicit idea that mute people are deaf... why?[/end of rant] oh well. still good.

Post last edited by makc on 09.04.2016, 09:36 PM.

09.04.2016, 09:35 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
[  «    ...  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks