QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp" a silent film from 1917 with many of the leading characters played by children... on Youtube. A 40 minute film...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wk7RcACPRA

I'm not sure where I heard about it from...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.18.2015, 04:40 AM.

11.17.2015, 12:16 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finally saw The Tale of Princess Kaguya the other night with a couple of friends. Beautiful film in every way.

I think I'll buy it for my dad for Christmas, I'm sure he'll love it too.

My Anime List

11.20.2015, 02:03 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

But you won't watch HIS copy, will you Kaz... 'cause that;s HIS copy...

11.20.2015, 05:07 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Goldeneye. By far Pierce Brosnan's best Bond film, although I do enjoy The World is Not Enough. Especially like the musical score and the character of Xenia Onatopp.

12.04.2015, 11:49 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, I still remember seeing one of the James Bond films in Japan in the mid-60's. In a Japanese theater with Japanese dubs and Asian subs...

12.05.2015, 03:42 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

finally got around to watching "Brave", which I enjoyed very much... Good story, good art, (including the first animated nude scene in a feature film, the narrators think, lol) Not really much of a scene, but funny just the same...

EDIT:
HAhaha, just thought, Totoro might fit that category as well.. and it definitely was earlier... lol... And both were shown by Disney!!!

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.23.2015, 11:17 PM.

12.23.2015, 11:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

While I do like Brave quite about, I don't feel that it holds up to Pixar's usual standards. The animation is amazing, though.

Hahaha, I suppose you could say that's true, Husky! I try not to think about that scene too much, because Totoro is one of my favorite Ghibli films purely because of how well it poctures childlike wonder and innocence.

12.24.2015, 10:06 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
first animated nude scene in a feature film, the narrators think!

Awww, how sweetly naive western critics are. So cute in their ignorance.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.24.2015, 12:00 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, agreed, Saddles...we Yanks are a coddled lot, lol

@Flare
Yes, maybe by our standards, but you have to remember that this was normal for the time and maybe still is, I don't know. It wasn't that long ago and nothing was really shown in the movie anyway. I thought that it was depicted quite well.

IMO, the scene was catching the family at a vulnerable moment and the loud banging and clattering was scary to the girls in their new home and Daddy came to the rescue and turned it into a loud, roaring, splashing moment... The brief and inconsequential nudity had no meaning other than that.

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.24.2015, 01:12 PM.

12.24.2015, 12:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

While I have no right to disagree with what the scene probably intended, I do prefer not to ruin Totoro's picture of childhood innocence.

12.25.2015, 02:05 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

... but that scene doesn't do that. That's the whole point! It IS a scene of perfect childhood innocence!

BTW - have a great Christmas everyone.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.25.2015, 05:06 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am in complete agreement with Saddles on this. If anything shows childhood innocence in Totoro, that's it.

12.25.2015, 05:44 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

...I respectfully disagree, but I'm young and have a lot to learn, so you are probably right.

Totoro to this day remains probably my favorite Ghibli film (although I'll have to re-watch Laputa/Kiki/Spirited Away before I make that call) as it is the only Ghibli movie that has made me cry. (Have yet to see Grave of the Fireflies) Not because it's sad, because it is most definitely not, but because it's an escape. When I watch Totoro, I'm WITH Satsuki and Mei and Totoro, helping them grow trees and riding on Catbuses. It's wonderful to just forget everything else in the world and have a nice little corner of cinema where everything is perfect and wonderful. Of course, Totoro is also subtly realistic, so not everything is perfect and wonderful, but it feels close. The tree-growing scene more than anything makes me cry, because it is the picture of wonder and beauty and everything in it just takes me back to my childhood when nothing truly mattered.

I could and would probably write an entire page on the reasons why I love Totoro, but I won't, because I know you guys understand perfectly well.

12.26.2015, 01:00 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched Boy and the World yesterday, by Alê Abreu, the Brazilian animation nominated for the Oscar, and I LOVED it.

There's this feeling that I should support it since it's so hard to make animation in Brazil in comparison to countries like USA, France and Japan, but it's truly great. It's one of the best animated features I've seen in my life.

It's expressive and meaningful, simple yet dense. It costed less than a million dollars to make it and they used simple materials such as pencil and crayon. It's animation in its pure form, since there are no understandable dialogs and the narrative is completely visual, based on the art, colors and composition. The music is also very important to the flow of the story.

I'm so happy! I'm filled with determination to work on animation, knowing that I won't have to live a thousand miles away from home to make good films.

02.08.2016, 11:47 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Earth to Echo"... It wasn't until I got way into the movie that I remembered seeing it before, just not sure when...

I do wish that there had been more closure at the end of the movie, but otherwise it was OK...

02.12.2016, 03:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i dont know if someone posted about the peanuts movie, i just saw it today. It was excellent. Animation was done by blue sky so quality is very very good. they also managed to portray the characters well enough. its funny to see a movie that i actually read in comics(as most of the west materials are not published in my country). I think i liked the voice acting very much. its like listening to real kids(i dont know if they hired kids) specially charles browns voice is just like how insecure boys voice should be. there are many many funny moments. so if you are for some funny action(yeah there are lots of it) watch it.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

03.03.2016, 08:55 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Currently watching "Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug"...

03.05.2016, 12:59 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I watched "World War Z" last night and I wish I hadn't... well, no, actually I am glad I did because now I can point out an excellent example of how not to make a film.

This was the biggest load of utter tripe I have seen in years. You could drive trucks sideways through the loopholes in the plot. The action was contrived, the characters paper thin and the whole thing was a waste of actors talent and CGI artists and computer programmers skills.

The CGI was extremely good and spectacular but I was shaking my head at the waste of good computer artists talents in being a part of a project that was so awful.

What the heck a good actor like Peter Capaldi was doing in this I do not know. Shame on you sir.

If you get the chance to see this my advice is don't.

03.08.2016, 03:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched a weird Stanley Kubrick movie from 1964 today... "Dr. Strangelove; or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"

Very definitely a comedic farce. I remember watching it when it first came out... A lot of known stars, too many to remember offhand, but still a farce, IMO...

Forgot this tidbit... Their (the bomber's crew) primary target was a place called 'Laputa'.

Would "A Clockwork Orange" have been any better??? I've seen both...

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.11.2016, 11:37 PM.

03.11.2016, 09:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

From Russia With Love with my mom. We had a fun time

03.11.2016, 11:19 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
[  «    ...  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks