QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ...    »  ]
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished the Resident Evil series. Can anyone recommend any awesome blu-ray action movies? I just got a blu-ray player...

01.28.2013, 08:48 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know if it's been remastered for blu-ray or not, but my favourite action movie is without a doubt the original "Die Hard"

01.28.2013, 09:10 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saw Django Unchained on sunday, it was insane. So smooth and slick, the soundtrack was flawless. Extremely violent, but that's much what one would expect from a Tarantino movie. Great dialogue, and way more visually impressive than his films tend to be - lots of sweeping panoramas opposed to his usual style. Definitely recommend.

01.29.2013, 09:40 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Roujin Z.

Strangest anime I will ever see. And yes, it's a movie.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.30.2013, 11:32 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Tony Takitani

Very slow and quite odd sometimes, as I'd expect since it's based on a Haruki Murakami story, but I thought it was good. The music was certainly very nice.

01.30.2013, 04:16 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Roujin Z.

Strangest anime I will ever see. And yes, it's a movie.

oh lol.

I've seen a scene from that on youtube. Where the old man guy was in the machine at the lecture theatre.

weird.

01.30.2013, 09:49 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just watched Snow White and the Huntsman. My mom told me before hand that there would be " a very mononoke-y scene". Sure enough: . My mom is awesome.

02.02.2013, 10:02 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
Saw Django Unchained on sunday, it was insane. So smooth and slick, the soundtrack was flawless. Extremely violent, but that's much what one would expect from a Tarantino movie. Great dialogue, and way more visually impressive than his films tend to be - lots of sweeping panoramas opposed to his usual style. Definitely recommend.

I was quite disappointed by Django. I had read the screenplay way back, and was really excited. However, I think that Tarantino - given free reign - just went overboard.

There was huge mash of badly balanced styles, some very strange and unnecessary sequences... I'd find myself invested in the story for 15 minutes only to be pulled out of it by a typical Tarantino indulgence.

Also, every tenth shot was out of focus.

It's a good film, but if Tarantino hadn't made the atrocity that is Death Proof, I would consider this his worst film.

02.07.2013, 06:42 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Loscil!!!!

Good to see you, guy, good to see you. I was just thinking about you yesterday when I happened to see your name on the members list. Hope you can come back more often, we all miss you...

02.07.2013, 10:06 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Loscil
quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat

I was quite disappointed by Django. I had read the screenplay way back, and was really excited. However, I think that Tarantino - given free reign - just went overboard.

There was huge mash of badly balanced styles, some very strange and unnecessary sequences... I'd find myself invested in the story for 15 minutes only to be pulled out of it by a typical Tarantino indulgence.

Also, every tenth shot was out of focus.

It's a good film, but if Tarantino hadn't made the atrocity that is Death Proof, I would consider this his worst film.

Yeah I think people are pretty divided about the film. I guess because I so enjoy Tarantino, I just kind of sat back and enjoyed where his craziness took it. I don't think there any sequences which jump to my mind of being without point or entertainment, but as I said, I know opinions are divided. I'd still recommend people going to see it, if only to be able to make an informed decision themselves on what has been a fairly controversial film.

02.07.2013, 10:30 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I ended up watching Donnie Darko, Very interesting film.

02.07.2013, 01:48 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Today I saw Mai Mai Shinko to Sennen no Mahou (also called Mai Mai Miracle). It was very nice and sweet, even though there were times when it was really quite sad. The parts that go back in time to the Heian period could've added a bit more than they did, but overall I liked it a lot. Probably worth a shot for any Totoro fans.

03.02.2013, 03:47 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll have to see if Netflix has it... Thanks for the recommend, arren

03.02.2013, 08:47 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

United Red Army. Part of the same season as the one I saw yesterday, but completely different. This is a three-hour docu-drama about the development and self-destruction of a left-wing terrorist group in Japan in the early 70s. The film is intense and uncompromising, but gives a fascinating and unbiased look that makes you really imagine the kinds of warped minds involved in groups like these. Worth a look if you're interested in post-war Japanese history, but be wary that the second act gets pretty brutal.

03.03.2013, 06:15 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Double-posting because I saw quite a lot of Japanese films this week:
Kaidan Horror Classics (adaptations of some well-known creepy stories)
Zero Focus (a recent film version of a popular murder-mystery novel from the 50s/60s)
A (a documentary about members of the Aum Shinrikyo cult after other members led a gas attack on a Tokyo subway)

03.08.2013, 05:30 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I remember reading about the Aum Shinrikyo group when they did that gas attack thing...

03.08.2013, 12:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Argo recently, and saw The Life of Pi the night before last.

I liked Argo, it was exciting and well done. I didn't think it was brilliant, but it was good. Not one I see myself watching again. It seems one of these films where once you've seen it, there's nothing more you can get out of it.

Life of Pi was good too. It was interesting. Thought-provoking. I can see why it won awards for its cinematography, not that that should be allowed to overshadow the story. I would like to see this one again.

My Anime List

03.10.2013, 06:35 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Recently I've been on a bit of a German film bender.

I saw The Lives of Others which was absolutely brilliant - beautiful storyline, thought-provoking and sad. It was also an insight to a really interesting era, I find anything relating to the Stasi and post-war East Germany fascinating. I love a film which looks at human motivation and what people are forced to do under intense circumstances, rather than simply labelling certain groups as the villains.

So good.

I also watched The Wave, the story of a high-school teacher teaching his students how easily a fascist regime, like that of the Third Reich, can be put in place, by manipulating them into creating a similar organisation themselves. It was an interesting concept, and the acting was pretty mesmerising at times, but I felt it was kind of clumsy in some ways. The obviousness of what stereotypes certain characters were meant to be embodying for example.

03.10.2013, 06:47 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Ah, I read The Wave when I was in school! Wikipedia says it was a TV film first, in the 80s. It was based on real events in an American school. I heard about the German film a few years ago but never got round to seeing it. I'd still like to, I think.

03.11.2013, 03:24 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ookami Kodomo: Ame to Yuki

So, so recommend this. Very character driven, visually stunning. And the soundtrack was beautiful. Same guy that did Summer Wars and Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but a pretty different movie.

03.12.2013, 07:29 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
[  «    ...  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks