QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Aliens last night. Since it's been some time since I saw Alien, I'm not sure which I prefer, but this definitely had a different feel to it. I really liked it anyway.

10.23.2010, 03:10 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
colda
Tanuki

Registration Date: 11.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by colda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saw Winter's Bone. It's good.

10.23.2010, 08:31 PM colda is offline   Profile for colda Add colda to your buddy list
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched 1408 last night... it's a lot scarier with people next to you screaming at all the scary parts

10.31.2010, 10:41 AM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
Animenewbie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 10.24.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Animenewbie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched kung fu kid

10.31.2010, 10:53 AM Animenewbie is offline   Profile for Animenewbie Add Animenewbie to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished watching "The Girl Who Played With Fire" based on the book by Swedish author Steig Larsson

----------------------------------

When I went and had dinner with my friend and his brother at their recently deceased mother's house, Bob brought along a video and we watched "Last of the Mohicans" with Daniel Day Lewis...

Bob and I were in 'Nam at the same time, but on different ships. One of the films I showed him when we first met showed his ship passing by in the background.

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.01.2010, 02:19 AM.

10.31.2010, 07:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
laazd,
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.27.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by laazd, Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

just watched The Road which is based on a novel by Cormac McCarthy ... it's about a man and his son trying to survive after the apocalypse. it's a good movie but really sad.

11.02.2010, 07:35 PM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by laazd,
just watched The Road which is based on a novel by Cormac McCarthy ... it's about a man and his son trying to survive after the apocalypse. it's a good movie but really sad.

THE ENDING!

Watched so many Halloween movies this weekend, I can't remember the names anymore...but they were all pretty bad (but good, ya know?).

11.02.2010, 11:59 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Last movie I saw was 'The Last Song'. It was okay, at first I thought it was another teen movie without any original storyline or characters. But actually the movie turned differently after an hour or so. I kinda liked it, Miley Cyrus isn't that bad at all I think, she just plays a little shallow characters.

11.03.2010, 01:12 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Koyaanisqatsi" a 1982 film directed by Godfrey Reggio with music composed by Philip Glass and cinematography by Ron Fricke.

The film consists primarily of slow motion and time-lapse stock footage of cities and many natural landscapes across the United States. In the Hopi language, the word Koyaanisqatsi means "crazy life, life in turmoil, life out of balance, life disintegrating, a state of life that calls for another way of living".

I've first saw this on TV long, long ago and have seen it a number of times since then. I have the trilogy ( Naqoyqatsi; Powaqqatsi) of the series, but this is my fav...

11.04.2010, 04:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Let Me In last night, the American adaptation of the swedish novel Let The Right One In (see the books thread). Now, I tried my best to go into this film with an open mind. After having seen and adored the Swedish version as well as currently reading the book I realised it was inevitable that I'd be making comparisons - but I was ready to view it as it's own film. But frankly, I was dissapointed. There was moments of greatness, tense scenes where you knew something terrible was about to happen that drew you in, or beautiful moments of cinematography - Abby sitting on the jungle gymn admist the snow, bare legged, or Owen facing the door dripping with blood - but for the most part this was all let down by the rest. The gore though enjoyable was I felt let down by the way in which they had Abby (I won't even begin to describe how unimpressed I was with them changing the names of Eli and Oskar to Abby and Owen) move when attacking, it was over the top. As well as this whenever Owen and Abby were alone together the music became sickly sweet and they drew out every vaguely romantic moment until you were writhing in your seat in awkwardness - it ws just embarassing to watch.

Mostly because Eli and Oskar weren't meant to have that kind of relationship. What's beautiful about them is that they have that sort of childlike adoration for each other, it doesn't involve sex or romance, it's just them loving the other for who they are. By making 'Owen' a perv with a telescope watching people have sex and other such cringe-worthy moments you felt like the film was twisting that relationship into something else. I just felt the film sacrificed what makes the book so stunning, the languid, dark pace that focuses on the innocence of the relationships within it against the background of bleak violence. This film was about gore and about satisfying the mainstream American public. I barely even liked Abby and Owen, I thought he came off as petulant and she came off as a bully.

You even felt sorry for Haakan. At east that's what he's called in the Swedish version, I presume it's something else in the American one. You felt sorry for him when she forced him to do what he has to do, felt that she was bullying him. No, because the whole point is he's happy to do it because..... Well I won't go on because even though I think you realise it pretty early on in the book I woulkdn't want to ruin it all the same. I don't know, I just felt thoroughly frustrated by the film as a whole.

I thought Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit-McPhee performed admirably, but Moretz in particular I found dissapointing. I think perhaps she just wasn't suited to the role. I think Moretz doesn't have an unusual enough face for the role, I think they needed somebody more unsettling. The adult actors did well, I believed.

Once again, unfortunately all of the roles that are integral to the plot were simply either cut out of this one or given minimal screentime. The pacing was just bizarre.

Sorry, rant over. I just needed all that off my chest

11.07.2010, 07:27 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Due Date today, it was pretty good, not as good as the Hangover. But Robert Downey Jr is a great actor, he needs to be in everything.

Also saw a trailer for the film Suckerpunch. Its done by the same guy that did Watchmen and 300. The anime influences are very obvious, like the thigh high stocking, school uniform and sword slashing goodness. I cant help it, looks awesome, hopefully not too generic. Should be fine so long as the ride is good.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

11.08.2010, 01:28 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Miyrru
Also saw a trailer for the film Suckerpunch. Its done by the same guy that did Watchmen and 300. The anime influences are very obvious, like the thigh high stocking, school uniform and sword slashing goodness. I cant help it, looks awesome, hopefully not too generic. Should be fine so long as the ride is good.

Ooh Zack Snyder? I must take a look! I thought he'd been busy lately making that odd, owl film. He's going to make the next Superman film which I think is great.

11.08.2010, 12:19 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

He was, but he decided that girls in thigh highs with swords in a 300 style movie was a better use of his time presently. Im excited. It comes out in March here so thats a long wait.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

11.08.2010, 06:54 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
HarryCanyon
Kodama

Registration Date: 10.02.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HarryCanyon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Planes Trains and Automobiles: Such an awesome movie that is a perfect thanksgiving tradition and one of my favorite movies since i was 14.

11.09.2010, 01:36 AM HarryCanyon is offline   Profile for HarryCanyon Add HarryCanyon to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
girls in thigh highs with swords in a 300 style movie

Based on this and the Wikipedia article, if the film is half as good as it sounds it will be amazing.

Edit: I've now watched the trailer. It looks extremely entertaining.

Post last edited by arren18 on 11.09.2010, 07:36 AM.

11.09.2010, 07:12 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched due date... it was funny, but most of the funny parts, I've already watched on the previews...

11.09.2010, 03:29 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
HarryCanyon
Kodama

Registration Date: 10.02.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HarryCanyon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Fist of the North Star (1986) in subtitles with Japanese language.

11.10.2010, 12:00 AM HarryCanyon is offline   Profile for HarryCanyon Add HarryCanyon to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Toy Story 3 today! For the first time

*Yaaaaaaaaaay!*

I fought off tears so many times. Those toys really get to me.

11.14.2010, 03:44 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Duchess. It was sad but a wonderful movie. Beautiful stills and costumes, but so sad...what a time that was :-(
Keira Knightley played her role fantastic. Her facial expressions were amazing, they really showed you her inside struggles.

11.16.2010, 05:57 AM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
laazd,
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.27.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by laazd, Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I saw Due Date today, it was pretty good, not as good as the Hangover. But Robert Downey Jr is a great actor, he needs to be in everything.

i also saw it today!! i agreee with you , robert downey jr. is amazing. there were some pretty disturbing parts but over all it was a great movie , i couldn't stop laughing!

11.16.2010, 10:54 PM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
[  «    ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks