QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I find 5cm so hard to watch because its so painfully sad. Of Shinkai's films I prefer Place Promised and Garden of Words which have endings with more promise.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.03.2015, 04:37 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think that I liked it so much because the emotions portrayed seemed real and not contrived...

Which in itself seems unreal in a fictional anime...

But, there it is...

05.03.2015, 06:30 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Brave" Enjoyed it very much... Good story line and extras. I loved the accents of the characters... I know that it is silly of me, but I've never equated Red hair with a Scot, mostly with the Irish... I know better but it's me, lol

Good color and artwork, but of course it would be, it's Pixar... lol

05.09.2015, 03:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I can't believe that I hadn't seen it until now, but "Terminator 3" was finally seen last night...

05.12.2015, 12:39 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I find 5cm so hard to watch because its so painfully sad. Of Shinkai's films I prefer Place Promised and Garden of Words which have endings with more promise.

Thank you, Saddles... I had never heard of "The Garden of Words" before although I had seen the others... Like you said, an "...endings with more promise."

05.12.2015, 01:37 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its Japanese title is "Kontonoha no Niwa". You should buy a copy, I think its beautiful. The animation is the most incredible I have ever seen.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.12.2015, 04:17 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I've thought of that. It would go sith the others that I have... THX

05.12.2015, 08:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Mad Max!

Oh my gooooood

It was amazing, I think it is possibly one of my favourite action movies ever. The female characters in it are sensational, so well written. They aren't those usual fake, over-sexy women you get in action movies who are capable of backflipping every three seconds and karate chopping the heads off of men twice their size. They aren't 'strong women', they're strong because they're women. And in the ways that women are strong.

Honestly can't critique. Please, go to the cinema. See this. It has something in it for everybody.

05.18.2015, 08:30 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

That is one that I want to see, since I saw all the previous ones...

05.19.2015, 02:46 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
I saw Mad Max!

Oh my gooooood

It was amazing, I think it is possibly one of my favourite action movies ever. The female characters in it are sensational, so well written. They aren't those usual fake, over-sexy women you get in action movies who are capable of backflipping every three seconds and karate chopping the heads off of men twice their size. They aren't 'strong women', they're strong because they're women. And in the ways that women are strong.

Honestly can't critique. Please, go to the cinema. See this. It has something in it for everybody.

Oh, maybe I'll go watch it! I think my boyfriend would really like that.

I was wondering what the response to that film would be, but everyone I know who have watched it absolutely loved the film. I think that says a lot.

I was reading how certain groups of guys were upset that this film was being created and complained about it, but it seems the response has been overwhelmingly positive besides from them. I'm glad for that. I think this was a film that needed to be created and I'm glad it was successful.

05.19.2015, 09:26 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Those groups that you mentioned at the end there are not exactly the most forward-thinking associations though. It's the kind of people who don't like to see any positive portrayals of women.

Anyway, I'd really like to see it too! I haven't seen the old Mad Max films (though I do want to now) and assumed that a fourth film after many many years would just be a cynical money grab, but it sounds like it's been a huge success! I was also seeing that a lot of the effects are completely real, including some incredibly ridiculous cars which actually work. I think that's really cool.

05.20.2015, 03:36 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

The day before I went to the hosp, I saw "How to Train Your Dragon II"

seen it before, but liked the story...

05.23.2015, 06:52 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Because of my unintended rest time, I was able to watch that movie about the Blue Macaw??? forgot the title, but saw the movie and one other, "Kung-Fu Panda"... I'd seen the first one before, but neither was in the Ghibli class

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.24.2015, 03:25 PM.

05.24.2015, 03:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Rio? Yeah, Dreamworks isn't anywhere close to any ghibli film. Ghibli's are films, Dreamworks are movies.
If you want to find an animated studio that closely matches Ghibli, I'd reccomend Pixar. Some of my personal favorites are Ratatouille, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc., and Wall-E. They aren't Ghibli, but it's as close as America will get.

05.25.2015, 06:59 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey (2 days ago) and The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug (last night). The Battle of the Five Armies is tonight. Its the only one of the trilogy I haven't seen (watched the other two at the cinema and a couple of times on DVD).

Despite what the purists complain about with Peter Jackson's additions I think he did a very good job, especially the cast were good. I can't think anyone else would have done it better and while three movies could be seen as excessive, a single movie with all its compaction would have been worse.

05.31.2015, 04:07 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies.

Very very good, thoroughly enjoyed it. Jackson added in a lot more to this film than the others, making clearer links to Lord of the Rings, but that's not a bad thing.

Its been years since I read the book but did some principal characters meet their fate in it? I don't remember that so the ending was a shock to me.

06.03.2015, 04:17 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I still need to see the final part. I enjoyed the first two, even though it was all too long. I'm actually interested to see what's in the third one, considering it seemed like there wasn't much left of the book after the second film.

06.03.2015, 05:06 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
The Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies.

Very very good, thoroughly enjoyed it. Jackson added in a lot more to this film than the others, making clearer links to Lord of the Rings, but that's not a bad thing.

Its been years since I read the book but did some principal characters meet their fate in it? I don't remember that so the ending was a shock to me.

If I were to rank LotR and The Hobbit, It'd look something like this:

6. H: Unexpected Journey/Hobbit Part One
5. H: The Battle of the Five Armies/Hobbit Part Three
4. H: Desolation of Smaug/Hobbit Part Two
3. LotR: The Two Towers/Lord of the Rings Part Two
2. LotR: The Return of the King/Lord of the Rings Part Three
1. LotR: The Fellowship of the Ring/Lord of the Rings Part One
I just read the book for school in March, and I believe someone important dies.
If any of you haven't seen Lord of the Rings, go do so NOW. It's a great example of fine cinematography.

Post last edited by FlareNetworkC on 06.03.2015, 03:41 PM.

06.03.2015, 09:26 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Best to remove that spoiler, no need to be specific about any characters. I was just struck by it because my memory of the book is hazy. If I didn't have about 20,000 anime to watch I'd read it again.

06.03.2015, 10:56 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Just watched the 2013 Keanu Reeves version of The 47 Ronin.

Flippin epic! A really REALLY good action film. Very cool and super tragic, gets the emotions going.

Much of the time as I was watching it, it felt like an anime, it was THAT good.

06.03.2015, 05:06 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks