QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, if I hadn't gotten tied up in historical matteters there would have been a PM thread a few days ago, lol

12.07.2017, 01:07 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@husky check out "en man som heter ove" real nice slice of old man life.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

12.08.2017, 09:52 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by makc
@husky check out "en man som heter ove" real nice slice of old man life.

Went to the Wiki; "A Man Called Ove"... If I can find a copy of the film, I'll give it a watch, although not my usual kind of film.
======================================================

Saw three movies today, two full length and one short (40min).

Started off with "Princess Mononoke", then "newly released "Coco" and then "Dragons: Gift of the Night Fury" a sequel to "How to Train Your Dragon" with "Book of Dragons" included...

A busy afternoon/evening sitting on my tailbone, lol...

I gave a short mention on "Princess Mononoke" in 'Ghibli Discussions'...

I had read the reviews about "Coco" and had decided to go and see it. The day before yesterday when I had gone to the theater (a small local 3 movie place) the projector in the "Coco" part had broken down, according to my friend of 25 years or so who works there, so I made plans to go yesterday, I am not sorry about that decision at all... Totally enjoyable from my point of view. I may go again and get a DVD when it releases one.

The tale is about a boy who wants to be a musician, but his family is totally against it. It is set around the Mexican 'Dia Los Muertos', a holiday celebrating the deceased members of a family with photos (or paintings), food and music and visiting the gravesites. Generally a joyous time of remembering the departed.

The Disney/Pixar movie is very, very colorful and in some parts quite emotional. I could see many people around me in the theater wiping their eyes... (yeah, me too, very much so). Miguel (voiced by Anthony Gonzalez) goes thru a lot of adventurous scenerios, all of which are colorfully illustrated.

https://youtu.be/r8NB2aaiM14 a trailer

Enjoy!

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.10.2017, 12:56 PM.

12.10.2017, 12:38 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
although not my usual kind of film

right, well, I just thought it would be nice to have an opinion of someone like you regarding this film. since, you know, the main tone of the movies like this is 'the end of line is not the end of the world', I think they kind of trying to prepare younger audience like myself to what's coming, but people like yourself do know for a fact how much of it is bs, and how much of it actually relevant to real life.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

12.12.2017, 09:17 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

not related to the movie, but one fact of my life that I've noted about is 'algebra'...

Now, bear in mind, not every one's life has taken the path that mine has, but...

The only time in my life after school that algebra came into my life was in the Navy Gunnersmate school...We had a refresher course in algebra, but the way we were taught to pass the test was to simply reverse the signs: + for -, etc. Note, this was in 1965, long before hand held calculators were in use. It was a requirement to pass the algebra in order to pass the school, but I never, NEVER for the rest of the time in the Navy nor in my life in general used algebra.

And the closest thing to a slide-rule was the modified one that we used in Aviation Ground School that I took in college.

Now that is not to say that some of you will never use algebra iin your life, but that depends on what career path you travel. Me? I worked a number of different jobs, none of which required algebra except the Navy one...

12.12.2017, 01:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

ha ha, that one was out of nowhere, but yes, I thought the same back in school - I thought I'd never have to use it. these days I use simplest algebra and trigonometry like every second day, maybe once per week I need to deal with matrices.

Then, there was chemistry, and I have never used that one. I was never in a situation where I had to calculate proportions of substances for some reaction, or how much heat would it generate, but we spent a year or two doing that in school.

Watched namhansanseong. Korean movies are different. It seems like they avoid hyperbolic characters on purpose.

Post last edited by makc on 12.13.2017, 05:21 PM.

12.12.2017, 09:45 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saw two films semi-recently, the new Murder on the Orient Express, and The Disaster Artist.

I enjoyed MotOE a lot. It had its flaws; as someone who watched a lot of the old series of Poirot with David Suchet, it was impossible not to compare his Poirot with Kenneth Brannagh's here, and it felt at times like Brannagh was overacting the little eccentricities. That, and he was a bit too much... in on the action sometimes. It was like Poirot with a dash of Sherlock Holmes. But overall, very good. I admire Kenneth Brannagh very much for his work, I think he's hugely talented. The cinematography in this film was also beautiful.

The Disaster Artist was entertaining and actually quite poignant at times. The film is... sort of a dramatisation of the making of The Room, which I watched for the first time the other day with friends. Seems it's one of those films that became (in)famous for how weird and terrible it is. Tommy Wiseau was the star, writer, director, producer(?) and financial backer for The Room... a true eccentric if there ever was one. He has a cameo in The Disaster Artist and according to him, the film's 99% true to life.

My Anime List

12.15.2017, 08:35 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I understand entirely your words about Suchet...IMO, No one can portray Poirot as he has done... I am spoiled... I will have to check out the new version of MotOE... I just picked up three of Christie's novels from the paperback giveaway carousel at my local library and guess what!, One of them was "Murder on the Orient Express"

12.15.2017, 08:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm glad to hear you liked The Disaster Artist, Kaz! As a pretty big fan of The Room, I'm looking forward to seeing it myself. What did you think of The Room, by the way? I've shown it to people before and some immediately got why it's so funny, but I think it didn't really click for others.

12.16.2017, 08:27 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched a S/F movie last night titled "Moon" and it was not on the regular TV channels, but on one of the PBS stations...

It was OK, but not the best.

12.16.2017, 10:37 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You weren't keen? I really liked Moon, especially the way the plot developed.

12.16.2017, 10:39 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched "Stranger than Fiction" yesterday which I saw years ago but had pretty much forgotten. Its equal parts comedy, tragedy and human commentary. Will Ferrell plays a wonderfully understated IRS agent who one days hears a strange voice narrating his life.

Great parts from Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman as well.

A really fun movie, heartwarming and subtle.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.17.2017, 12:52 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_R2wdWeF6Q

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.18.2017, 12:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I watched both "Last of the Jedi" and "Ferdinand" and liked the adventuriousness of 'Jedi' and the love and emotion of 'Ferdinand'...

Late last night at home I also watched "Blast From the Past" about the a 32 yr old man born and raised in a large homemade bomb shelter with only his parents and how he interacts with the modern world when he is sent out for supplies...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.28.2017, 07:34 PM.

12.28.2017, 02:07 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Jumanji" at the theater today...

All I can say is this...

It is NOTHING like the first 'Jumanji' with Robin Williams... Nothing!!! I'll say no more...

I forgot to add, that the whole audience apparently liked it as well as I did...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.31.2017, 01:56 AM.

12.28.2017, 07:36 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Over the last few days watched "Moon" which I though was very clever and enthralling even if the entire film had only a single character. "Apollo 18" which started out well but ended on a really daft premise - a pity as the "found footage" style was working well up until the horror got more and more unbelievable. Also watched "October Sky" which is a really lovely film if you want a nice cosy feelgood evening.

12.30.2017, 05:40 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

I've seen a few movies lately, unusually for me. I saw The Disaster Artist and the new Star Wars in cinema. I also watched Dunkirk and Spectre on the plane.

12.31.2017, 01:07 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

No movie, just a "Twilight Zone" marathon w/ Rod Serling, enjoying the heck out of the different 1/2 hour episodes...

01.01.2018, 12:17 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Saw "Rango" last night on TV... Liked how it 'borrowed' from other RL movies, like the Clint Eastwood 'spaghetti westerns' like "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

01.02.2018, 09:31 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finally saw When Marnie Was There the other day. My dad and I both liked it a lot.

At times around the beginning and middle I thought (maybe hoped) that it was a going to be a romance, though the later revelations changed that, of course. If there's something I'd criticise, it's how quickly Anna and Marnie became close. It was unrealistic I feel, even under their circumstances.

I also have my reservations about the dub. They're normally so good on Ghibli's films, but I felt this one didn't work well. Maybe it seemed jarring against the very Japanese, rural setting... Saying that, that never bothered me in Princess Mononoke. I want to watch the film with subs next time I see it, anyway.

The animation was especially beautiful, I thought. Things have come a long way since the likes of Nausicaa and Laputa. The backgrounds, scenery and so on have always been beautiful, but the characters were certainly much more plainly drawn then.

My Anime List

01.11.2018, 12:15 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks