QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched a Korean film called Night Flight. I think my heart might be a little too broken after that. But wow, I barely recognized Lee Jae-Joon in his role.

I loved how subtle and wordless so many scenes were, but I'm not surprised people would get confused. It felt very straightforward and heartfelt to me, especially Gi-Woong's feelings. I loved the slow breakdown of his defenses and the rare moments he shows vulnerability. Really have to give credit to Jae-Joon for that because otherwise he just seems like the quiet bad boy type unless you really pay attention to his expressions and little actions. The ending just about killed me though..

And the button. Oh my god, the button. No one commented about it but I found it silly and romantic. Yong-ju taking his shirt and smelling it like it's the greatest thing in the world then immediately ripping a button off and hacking all over the shirt before throwing it on the ground. lol I loved that scene. Didn't check which button it was he tore off and kept, but it was probably the second one. And when Gi-woong found the button in his uniform.. I need to rewatch just for the button symbolism.

09.08.2016, 12:04 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Has anyone else seen Kubo and the Two Strings yet????

Oh my god! I can't remember the last time I felt so absolutely floored by a movie. The animation was gorgeous, the plot was the perfect mix of humour and sadness and the characters were all so endearing.

Genius piece of animation, I can't actually recommend it enough.

09.10.2016, 06:39 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I did!! Wound up crying so much.

09.10.2016, 09:57 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I watched A Bride for Rip van Winkle while waiting for the sub of my drama to come out. It was.... intense? Confusing? Felt a lot different from other Japanese films I've seen.

I was a little confused by Amuro and his intentions, especially initially. I kind of guessed the plot once the second female character was introduced. Definitely a very absorbing film despite it being three hours long.

09.19.2016, 11:57 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched "A Letter to Momo" and like before, cried at the ending...

My Youngest son and wife stopped by and I got to hold and cuddle with three of my grandkids...

edit: spelling errors...

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.25.2016, 09:13 PM.

09.25.2016, 09:12 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished watching "The Secret Life of Pets" A lot of action and I loved the bunny...

And since she is a dog I can say this... Gidget is a mean little bitch when she is protecting Max... lol

10.07.2016, 07:40 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I saw The Girl on the Train. I kind of wish I hadn't, not because it was bad or anything. It was pretty good, but I wound up randomly crying at parts and wanted to leave.

10.07.2016, 11:41 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I kinda felt the same way abt watching "Dirty Grandpa". I didn't think it would be as raunchy as it was. I am surprised that Robert DeNiro starred in it... I thnk that I'll stick with my anime comedy's from now on....

10.08.2016, 12:15 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Just finished watching "Brave"... I'd seen it before, but I still cried at the sad part...

10.08.2016, 09:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I kind of feel like re-watching The Bride of Rip Van Winkle because I feel like I understand the plot way more now than I did initially, but it's three hours long and I don't know if I can sit through it all again. lol

I might finally watch Helter Skelter. I almost did for a film review for class once but couldn't find a subbed version at the time, so I reviewed Memoirs of a Geisha (and cringed the whole way through).

Also feel like watching The Lady again. I can't remember how good it was.. I find Aung San Suu Kyi to be one of the most interesting politicians to read and learn about.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 10.08.2016, 10:32 PM.

10.08.2016, 10:27 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched the anthem of the heart, and it was actually very sweet.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

10.11.2016, 09:11 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The World's End by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Bloody hilarious... reminded me of my youth somewhat and social commentary mixed in with crazy slapstick works surprisingly well.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.12.2016, 10:21 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Monty Python-ish perhaps?

watched "Mulan" again the relationship at the end between Fa and Mulan reminds me of my Dau and I...

10.12.2016, 12:21 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched the 2016 release of "Tarzan". I enjoyed it and the animal/human scenes were fairly realistic...

10.12.2016, 11:57 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

2046, directed by Wong Kar-wai. Kind of an odd film to start out binge-watching of his work. My ex always claimed to be a fan of this director but every time I asked that we watch one of his films he never would. So now I'm watching them all for myself.

Also planning to binge all of Shunji Iwai's films. Does anyone have any other directors they can recommend?

10.13.2016, 10:54 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched the latest (2015) Star Wars film yesterday. I recommend avoiding it, its really uninspired and takes so many ideas and material from the first movie I thought I was watching a remake of it in several scenes. So uninspired, such dull, politically correct characters.

The only highlight was seeing Mark Hamill as Skywalker again.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.11.2016, 11:50 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yes, this scene was great!

btw, downloading the congress / 2013 now after I've seen this. which, imho, resonates with the parable of the bee and the fly (the bee sees flowers everywhere when the fly only ever sees shit). but need to watch in order to know what was the intention...

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 11.11.2016, 11:32 PM.

11.11.2016, 11:27 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Actually really liked it. Also not really sure why but Eddie Redmayne totally takes me breath away and I loved him in this role so much.

11.19.2016, 11:11 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Eddie Redmayne is an incredible actor. His depiction of Stephen Hawking in Theory of Everything was simply perfect.

11.19.2016, 12:48 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I just finished watching "Moana"... Knowing and being distantly related to a Samoan family here in town and having seen them dance many times in the past, I could relate many of the moves in the movie to these dance moves as well as the vocals... There were a number of teary moments as well. Some of the movie I didn't care for, but I will not give any spoilers. For the most part Lasseter did it again...

edit: the next morning...
I was lying in bed this am thinking about the movie last night...
I was thinking about all of the beautiful water scenes and how good a lot of them made me feel, just seeing them...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.08.2016, 04:41 PM.

12.08.2016, 01:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks