QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched the new version of "Pete's Dragon"... An ok movie... I liked the ending....

Now watching "Kubo and the Two Strings"...

12.14.2016, 02:25 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched the "Minions" tonight...

I do hope that the Queen had a good sense of humour when this was initially released...

12.24.2016, 04:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Pan"... basically, a prequel to "Peter Pan" story...

12.29.2016, 11:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched the Hobbit trilogy between Xmas and New Year. I had forgotten how epic these films are, great entertainment. I know purists pick holes in the added scenes Peter Jackson brought in but they still work to a fair degree and I'm not such a massive fan of the original book that I have issues over the foreshadowing scenes and all the Legolas content. You can't really have too much of Orlando Bloom slaughtering orcs in inventive ways IMO.

Plan to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy next.

The other day I watched the 2012 film "Lincoln" starring Daniel Day Lewis and had also forgotten how marvellous this film is, such a powerful and tense story; perhaps over-wound for cinematic and storytelling effect but nonetheless superb. I highly recommend it.

(It was comical to spot both the actors who played Bard and the Elf King in the Hobbit in the film )

Plus... Tommy Lee Jones stealing the show. Great acting.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.01.2017, 12:07 PM.

01.01.2017, 12:05 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Of all things, I watched "Beetlejuice" today... lol Corny IMO, but I enjoyed it...

02.02.2017, 06:43 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been watching all the scenes from The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

This is so much more interesting to me now that I'm older.

02.04.2017, 12:16 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

You're OLD!!! Oh no! How did that happen???

lol

Yeah, I know what you mean... I once saw the Jerry Lewis movie, "Don't Give Up the Ship", a comedy about a poor Lieutenant in the US Navy.. I won't tell any more about it, in case you haven't seen it and may want to.
I saw it first before I joined the Navy and then while I was still in. It was so, SO much funnier than I would have believed possible...

edit:
presently watching "Monsters University"...I saw it once a few years ago...

Post last edited by husky51 on 02.04.2017, 04:33 PM.

02.04.2017, 02:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hahaha It's just a lot darker than I remember. The film used to make me uncomfortable when I was a child, and I kind of think I must have picked up on what Frollo was all about.

02.04.2017, 07:37 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just watched the 2016 Sci-Fi film "Arrival" and very much enjoyed it. The whole thing was not at all what I expected and like other SF films of recent years such as Interstellar, the SF was 'soft' and contained the true story within it.

The ending was exceptionally mind-bending and enjoyable.

Recommended!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.11.2017, 08:18 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I heard good things about it! I have the short story collection with the story it was adapted from, but I was told it would be better to wait with that because it might make the film less enjoyable. Unfortunately, like most English-language films it isn't coming out in Japan for a while...

02.12.2017, 08:36 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I heard good things about it! I have the short story collection with the story it was adapted from, but I was told it would be better to wait with that because it might make the film less enjoyable.

That is the way I feel about movie made from books... I had the Marnie book, but waited until it came out and watched the movie before I read the book... It was hard to hold off reading the book. I did the same with the Chobits books...

I sympathize with you, arren

02.12.2017, 01:40 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm going to sit down and watch If Cats Disappeared From the World sometime this weekend but I 100% guarantee I will probably just be sobbing the whole film.

I watched Only Yesterday and it was such a different but lovely gem of a film. I feel happier having watched it for the first time in adulthood rather than when I was a young teen. I feel I could appreciate the story much more. The animation was lovely too, kind of different from other Ghibli films. I think this was maybe with how they animated Toshio's car? The car scenes were so interesting for some reason. I also just really loved Toshio's Japanese voice actor so much, he fit the role so much, very different sort of voice. Or maybe it's my weird obsession with transportation.

The pineapple scene killed me, but even more so I wasn't sure whether to laugh when her father slapped her across the face or be shocked.

02.23.2017, 01:01 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Re-watched "Avatar" again, quite enjoyable and sad at the same time, if you know what I mean... Kinda glad the one dude got wasted away (won't say who for those who haven't seen it yet)

03.16.2017, 01:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm working on seeing every film on AFI's Top 100, so last night I watched The Silence of the Lambs.

Hoo, boy. It was excellent, but I had some trouble falling asleep last night.

04.02.2017, 01:48 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, never had the urge to see it, but from what I've heard and read, I wonder why you couldn't sleep... lol

04.02.2017, 02:32 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Continuing on my AFI Top 100 journey, last night I watched All About Eve. It was excellent, as I expected, but I swear everyone in that movie was made of acid. The entire movie was basically a bunch of people insulting each other or insulting each other stealthily. Still, it was definitely very good.

04.08.2017, 09:14 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I'm currently watching "How to Tame Your Dragon" again on TV... I like this movie. I'm at the part where the Vikings are about to make a BIG BIG mistake... lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.09.2017, 10:38 PM.

04.09.2017, 10:38 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Watched "Battle of Los Angeles" last night just because I wanted something with mindless action in it. I got that in spades. Other than mindless action I would recommend avoiding this film as though it had been smeared in poop. Its really derisible in all departments.

04.10.2017, 09:39 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I watched Farewell My Concubine ... and oh my god...

I seriously regret so much putting off getting into Chinese and Chinese-language cinema. My ex never watched any Chinese films or dramas, only talent shows, when we were together. Supposedly Wong Kar-wai was an influence on him but we never once watched one of his films. I've been slowly starting his films and I love them. I know a lot of names of big name Chinese actors and musicians. I kind of fell in love with Leslie Cheung and decided to watch this one.

I'm so deeply moved.

I wish I knew more of Chinese history and language. This film kind of kicked me in the stomach. It was also incredibly hard to watch at times, particularly the beginning.

04.12.2017, 11:04 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Haven't seen them yet, but looking forward to Ghost in the Shell and Smurf: The Lost Village...

04.12.2017, 11:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks