QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Indeed a very Effy film!

It's just a jump to the left
And then a step to the right
Put your hands on you hips
You bring your knees in tight
But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane

Let's do the time warp again

It's so dreamy
Oh fantasy free me
So you can't see me, no not at all
In another dimension
With voyeuristic intention
Well secluded
I see all

With a bit of a mind flip
You're into the time slip
And nothing can ever be the same
You've spaced out of sensation
Like you're under sedation.

=====================

Watched Tintin yesterday. Such great fun and such wonderful animation, you just forget you're not watching real people. Very clever, I hope Jackson takes up his option to make another Tintin movie.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.27.2013, 11:29 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ghost World.

It's kind of impossible to choose, but sometimes I feel like it might be my favorite movie. Starts like a Juno-esque teen comedy, but goes way deeper and darker, and is a lot more believable. It has one of the most haunting endings of any movie I've ever seen. Every time I watch it, the characters and their world stay with me for days.

Also it's super funny.

05.11.2013, 04:29 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm, when I saw Ghost World I had mixed feelings about it. I think it was that I found the main character annoying and then I was disappointed that other characters were less important. I enjoyed parts of it though.

The last film I saw was a little while ago actually. I watched Face/Off, a completely insane action movie where, basically, John Travolta and Nicolas Cage pretend to be each other. As long as you don't expect some amazing work of cinema, it's extremely entertaining.

05.11.2013, 05:57 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Enid is certainly not always likeable, and I don't think she's meant to be. But I do think she's one of the most complex and brilliantly portrayed characters in the history of movies. Compare how callous she is at the beginning to how she treats Seymour in the hospital at the end. Her character arc is incredible.

I definitely think Enid makes or breaks the movie for people, though. If you don't sympathize with her, it's probably a pretty tiresome, depressing experience. But I've always felt this weirdly strong connection to her, in that she reminds me of a kind of extreme, uncompromising version of myself. That's probably why my reaction to the film is always so visceral. My heart just aches for her predicament the whole way.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 05.11.2013, 08:59 AM.

05.11.2013, 07:27 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmmm, interesting. I can definitely see what people do like about it! I just felt a little disappointed as I didn't particularly dig Enid. But to reiterate, I did find plenty to like.

05.11.2013, 06:18 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is true of many slice of life movies - books as well. If the situations of the characters are ones you personally connect to then the film has a strong chance of touching you in a way it won't touch others.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.12.2013, 10:21 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

I put a review of Ghost World up on my blog if anyone is interested.

05.18.2013, 04:42 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Went to a double bill of Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies. I've seen both before of course, but it was fun* to see them in a cinema.

*maybe a bad choice of words for GotF.

05.26.2013, 04:11 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched quite a few movies recently...

Cloud Atlas, which was a bit of a disappointment. Just too massive an undertaking, I think. Why don't they ever make 3 part movies for movies that actually have the material to require 3 parts?

Wonderful Days. Korean sci-fi animation. It was okay? Had some interesting moments but it was so typically Korean (Idk how aware everyone is of Korean culture?), that it was hard to take seriously.

Blade Runner. That's one cult classic that I do not get. Too weirdly paced, not enough plot/character development to be memorable. I guess it was groundbreaking back then but it feels like a whole lot of untapped potential.

Epic. Why do all animated movies look the same these days? Still, mildly entertaining.

People Like Us. Oh Hollywood... capitalizing on all the feels. xD

Parker. Run of the mill Jason Statham.

Iron Man 3... hmm fun. ^^ Though I will never be a hardcore fan of Iron Man.

05.31.2013, 01:02 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Cloud Atlas, which was a bit of a disappointment. Just too massive an undertaking, I think. Why don't they ever make 3 part movies for movies that actually have the material to require 3 parts?

Money. When you have a huge property like Harry Potter or Twilight or Lord of the Rings, you don't have to worry about whether it'll make a profit at the box office. It's obviously going to be a huge draw. With something like Cloud Atlas, based on an experimental novel, it's probably impossible to get funding for a whole trilogy. Studio execs have no idea how much money it's going to make, and won't risk all their money on a potential flop.

quote:
Blade Runner. That's one cult classic that I do not get. Too weirdly paced, not enough plot/character development to be memorable. I guess it was groundbreaking back then but it feels like a whole lot of untapped potential.

I agree. Maybe I just don't like Ridley Scott. I watched Prometheus a while ago and didn't like it at all. He seems really overrated as a director.

05.31.2013, 07:39 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha yeah, it's just disappointing that films that really need the time don't get them. And then ones that don't are needlessly stretched out. Like the Hobbit... 3 parts...really?

Anyway, watched Makoto Shinkai's new movie, Kotonoha no Niwa. This is the closest I've come to being disappointed. There were certain moments in that were so cliche and silly, I just couldn't help but roll my eyes. And the ending frustrated me, unlike the endings of previous Shinkai works. Still... gorgeous art and I was invested in the relationship between the two main characters.

06.01.2013, 04:18 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

quote:
Haha yeah, it's just disappointing that films that really need the time don't get them. And then ones that don't are needlessly stretched out. Like the Hobbit... 3 parts...really?

Believe me, I find that sort of thing really frustrating as well. Not a fan of the way greed interferes with art.

I think TV miniseries is probably the way to go when adapting most novels. Novels just contain a lot of stuff, too much for a two-hour movie. For that reason, I often feel like the most successful movie adaptations are those that take the most liberties with the source material. Watchmen stuck really close to the graphic novel it was based on, but just didn't work at all as a movie.

Sorry for that tangential rant!

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 06.01.2013, 04:57 AM.

06.01.2013, 04:57 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Wonderful Days (Sky Blue in the west) is one of my favourite animes for some reason. I know the plot is vapid and the characters are weak but I just love the imagery, its spectacularly beautiful to watch. Very good use of CGI before CGI movies became ten a penny. Lovely music too.

I love Blade Runner as well, I think its supposed to be an obscure story with characters you are not allowed to get close to - its a part of the world in which the action is set I think. Anyway, I liked it.

I haven't watched Prometheus and don't intend to. I've heard its complete tripe.

I've been waiting to watch Cloud Atlas since my daughter's reading the book and I wanted us to watch it together. The news that it fails to deliver because it tries to encompass so much is a disappointment but as you say it could easily be a trilogy. Or a TV series which could work better.

06.01.2013, 11:35 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Oh yeah, Wonderful Days had some great backdrops. I loved the music during those motorcycle (?) rides on the highways. So pretty.

As for Blade Runner, for me it stretched a little too long with stilted pacing. Actually the way you describe it as 'an obscure story with characters you are not allowed to get close to' sounds pretty charming. If it was much shorter and less draggy, I might have liked it. Sidenote: the violence o_o that was next level insane near the end.

Prometheus was summer blockbuster, run of the mill, loud sounds, big production. Nothing of consequence really... reminds me I was wondering whether to watch the new Fast and Furious movie xD

Ohh and I don't want to sell Cloud Atlas too short. It really did try. And I'd say it's best to watch with someone. I did and we had quite a bit of fun with it. Lots of confusion and figuring stuff out.

---

Orphic: Yes! I completely agree with that.

06.01.2013, 01:44 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Anyway, watched Makoto Shinkai's new movie, Kotonoha no Niwa. This is the closest I've come to being disappointed. There were certain moments in that were so cliche and silly, I just couldn't help but roll my eyes. And the ending frustrated me, unlike the endings of previous Shinkai works. Still... gorgeous art and I was invested in the relationship between the two main characters.

Well... that's was spoiler-riffic. I was kinda looking forward to watching it this weekend.

Not sure about the cliche part though, pretty sure all his movies were full of cliched stuff. Repackaged and interesting, but cliched nonetheless.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.04.2013, 03:38 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I watched it yesterday and I won't say Fen's POV is wrong as to her it might have had some eye-rolling moments but to me... it was stunning in every way. Absolutely beautiful and magical. Shinkai makes big filthy cities look like the most precious Ghibli landscapes and then some. Even commuter trains in the rain look superb when he animates them. I was enthralled from start to finish and I didn't roll my eyes once.

If Place Promised was amazing and 5cm/second beautiful yet heartbreaking, Kotonoha no Niwa is an absolute masterpiece. Clearly he uses computers for everything, no hand drawn animation here anymore but... but... it was SO beautiful I couldn't believe what I was seeing wasn't live action in a few places, especially one repeated haunting shot of tree branches dripping into a lake.

Much use of depth of field techniques and almost fully reaistically proportioned characters, no big eyes and pointy chins. It could almost be a live action movie.

While there was one moment in the story that was rather too much of a co-incidence I think it was needed in order to bring the main characters colliding together with the right amounts of friction and tenderness that was just right.

As always, much focus on skies, weather and seasons, like so much anime and Japanese culture but... we need a separate thread to discuss this movie I think.

Strongly urge everyone to watch it and discuss.

I wasn't moved this much by any Ghibli since Spirited Away, that's how good this was.

My only complaint is its way too short

A quote from the Random Curiosity blog:

"This film, despite being 2D animated with 3D cgi thrown in, shows a masterful understanding in nearly all fields of digital media and photography. Characters were a prime example of consistent and defined anatomy in 2D animation. I absolutely adored the continual attention paid to reflection, refraction, transparency and translucency which are of a masterful photographer’s degree. Also the SFX were really well done, capturing the ambiance of the garden and immersing the viewer in not just visuals, but sound as well. Finally, how they combined the medias of 2D frame animation, 3D and simulated effects was simply superb. Not once did I ever feel that the elements were out of place.

All I can say is, there is not a single animation I can think of that comes close to this visual masterpiece."

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.07.2013, 06:33 AM.

06.06.2013, 04:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

sounds interesting.
I like the still of the rain on the tiles. As you said, Saddles, realistic.

06.06.2013, 04:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Visually, I can't fault it. Normally I watch Shinkai for the visuals... this time I kinda focused on other things as well, which probably took away from how beautiful it was. =/ I'll rewatch and make a spoilery thread about it as I can't really say any more without talking about the plot.

Unrelated, and not even a movie but does anyone here watch Game of Thrones?

06.06.2013, 06:25 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

I really enjoyed the first season, but haven't seen beyond that. I'm so far behind now, I need to see the rest!

I think the show might actually be better than the books. I tried getting into the series a long time ago and found them pretty uninteresting, but maybe I should give them another shot.

The only Shinkai movie I've seen is Place Promised, which I thought was overrated. Very pretty, but the plot and characters were ugh. He's made a bunch of other stuff since then which I should probably watch before I make any sort of final judgment. But from what I've heard, opinions of him as a director still seem pretty mixed.

06.07.2013, 08:06 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I don't think I'd realised Kotonoha no Niwa was even being made! I've enjoyed all of Shinkai's other films, so I think I should definitely check this out when I get the chance. I wonder who I'll agree with most.

06.07.2013, 09:39 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks