QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched the "Boxtrolls" today on Netflix DVD

Alright, but not a Ghibli...

03.18.2015, 08:30 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched "Jumanji" Sunday night... Robin Williams was good in that...

03.24.2015, 12:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "When Marnie Was There"... Unforgetable...

03.27.2015, 02:49 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is good, isn't it? I wasn't really sure what to expect from it, particularly as I wasn't the biggest fan of Arrietty, but I was pleasantly surprised.

03.27.2015, 10:59 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

LotR was one of my passions as a child

03.31.2015, 05:53 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched How To Train Your Dragon 2 last night for like. the third time. It's still INCREDIBLE, the animation is still GORGEOUS, Valka is still great, and it still made me want to cry.

04.01.2015, 03:02 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched the documentary Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father.

And...wow.

I think I broke into tears quite a few times throughout the length of the film. It's an exceptional documentary which truly makes you share in the loss and grief of those involved.

I would recommend it in a heartbeat - though I will say that perhaps for those who have lost close family members/friends recently or who have ever lost people due to violent crime, it could be a little overwhelming.

But, yeah. Watch it. It's beautiful and sad and special.

04.06.2015, 07:19 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Song of the Sea last night, which was incredible. The animation was so beautiful!

04.16.2015, 12:02 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Just read the imdb on 'Song of the Sea" and it reminds me of a series of SF novels about two children, a brother and sister, that if they got wet, would change into seals or seal-like animals. They lived on a planet that was sentient.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the author or the titles...

04.16.2015, 12:35 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Like Yay! Kiki, I also watched "Song of the Sea" and I imagine that she would know at what part I cried... A brother/sister thing...

I watched it with the English dubbing and I think that I will watch it again in the original French with the subtitles...

Thank you for mentioning it, Kiki... My Tavern sibling...

=========================================

Well, I watched it again, but not n French. When I tried that the subs were French as well. So I watched in English with subs and was able to understand it more... And yes, even though I knew what was coming, I cried again... twice!!! lol

Interesting that a Belgian movie is made about an Irish fable and the Danes were involved in it as well, lol.

At least I think that is the way it was...

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.21.2015, 04:01 PM.

04.21.2015, 06:24 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't been watching any movies, but I've been addicted to a certain Korean drama lately. lol The Korean title is Gaksital. It encompasses a lot of things I enjoy, particularly how the two lead male characters were constructed; an anti-hero protagonist without morals and is ruthless who later takes on the identity of a masked protector, and his best friend later turned into a villain out of grief and jealousy, a former elementary teacher who was loving and caring but becomes a murderous demon.

I really enjoy the characters. It's not a perfect series by any means (perfection does not exist) but my, is it ever intriguing. I'm in the second half now and I know it becomes even more evolved in the next few episodes. I would've liked had the main female protagonist been developed a little more, but at times she is amazing. It's really the lead male characters though that are so interestingly carved out. Was in need of something like this.

I'm always up for a series with well developed and unconventional characters, especially in drama land. A lot of the time it's hard to find characters like these.

04.22.2015, 03:03 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

So which character most resembles your persona, FFF?

Oh, I bet I know!!!

Turns and runs like hell!!!!!!!

04.22.2015, 07:35 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kaguya-hime was so sad!!

04.23.2015, 06:46 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

It was that, NC...

Watched "Wallace and Gromit: Loaf or Death" today... funny, but full of suspense. yet you know that somehow things will work out in the end... lol

04.30.2015, 05:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Robot" today... been a long time, but still enjoyable for a CGI... Had Halle Berry, Paula Abdul, Jay Leno, James Earl Jones, Robin Williams, Drew Carey and Al Roker as part of the enormous cast of voices...

05.03.2015, 02:54 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, Robots. I remember when I used to watch it almost every day on VHS.

05.03.2015, 07:56 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Had a mild leg cramp this morning and got up, after checking email, etc. I don't know why, but I thought ot "Letter to Momo" and went looking for it and found it. Again, the waterworks started, lol. A good movie, on a par with a Ghibli, IMO.

05.03.2015, 12:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, the animation quality and the art in that film is really nice.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.03.2015, 02:01 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, I forgot to say... a while ago, I finally saw 5 Centimetres Per Second. I liked it a great deal; it was beautiful and very, very sad. Strangely the emotions of it didn't really hit me until the last moments when that song began to play. The realness of the characters and of the story are what made it so touching. Stories like that play out in the real world all the time.

Maybe I'm biased but that realness seems to be sorely lacking in western animations. Western films in general. The best anime all seem to have it, it's always there in some degree in the Studio Ghibli films.

I had the strongest sense of déjà vu throughout the first part of 5 Centimetres so I'm sure I must have seen it before... though I've no idea when, or why I would only have seen that bit and not the whole thing.

My Anime List

05.03.2015, 02:49 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@Kaz
I felt the same way the first time I saw it, myself... I recommend watching it again a couple of times because, if like me, you might get more out of the film each time...

It has been awhile, but maybe it's time for another showing for myself again as well...

05.03.2015, 04:02 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks