QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen shows of the 47 ronin and I have a framed print on my wall of it. I will see if I can find the film and watch it, Saddles. Thanks...

Just finished watching Whisper of the Heart again and, as always, enjoyed it and cried over it and did some pauses and looked at some of the scenery artwork. Marvelous...

06.03.2015, 06:31 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished watching "The Wind Rises" again and was struck with the disease that is a part of the story.

I was reflecting on the fact that I had the same thing as a child and that the town I now live in was reknown for its curative climate for lung diseases. And no, I didn't move here because of that, I didn't find out about it until I became interested in the history of this area. We had many sanitoriums in and around our town.

Back in the late 1800's-early 1900's there was a motto in our city's publicity ads.
"Our climate is so healthy we had to shoot somebody to start a cemetery"
And that is how we started our cemetery, a man was murdered and he is the first recorded burial in our local cemetery and that was in 1878.

06.05.2015, 04:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

You were right, Saddles. The movie, "47 Ronin" was indeed very awesome. Total enjoyment and I am going to watch it again in a few hours to see the things that I may have missed the first time through...

Thanks for the tip...

06.10.2015, 02:15 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What I liked about it, even though it was a Hollywood production, was that Keanu Reeves played a secondary character and the Japanese culture of the day was brought to the forefront. The whole story worked far better than, say, The Last Samurai. I felt like I was watching a film by a Japanese director and not an American one.

Watched "Fury" today. Totally didn't realise it was a WW2 film and not a story set in Desert Storm. I have no idea why I thought the latter, possibly due to the tank shown in the promotional poster which looked like an Abrams and not a Sherman.

Can't say I enjoyed it much. Very stereotyping, lots of gratuitous violence that was trying to make a point or just to shock. Some scenes were pretty dark and gory - worse than Saving Private Ryan. I've read a great deal about the closing months of combat in Germany in spring 1945 and from personal accounts and unit records I think the Americans were far less willing to go into action because no-one wanted to get killed when the war was so obviously nearly over.

The American troops are portrayed as far too gung-ho I think in this film. Every German is depicted as either a victim or a Nazi psycho as well. Not a good film.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.11.2015, 04:15 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Just finished watching "The Wind Rises" again and was struck with the disease that is a part of the story.

I was reflecting on the fact that I had the same thing as a child and that the town I now live in was reknown for its curative climate for lung diseases. And no, I didn't move here because of that, I didn't find out about it until I became interested in the history of this area. We had many sanitoriums in and around our town.

You know, the first novel I wrote myself was an allegory of famous people and TB, focusing on the lives of Chopin and Poe indirectly without a single reference to either fully but they were the main inspiration for the story. TB was a driving theme in the book without the mention of it as well. I'm debating now rewriting the novel after making significant changes whether or not to continue with this allegory. Any time I mention it to someone who asks about my writing they seem a bit bewildered but mostly like what? Haha The biggest tip-off was my mention of sanatoriums.

That's a reason I was drawn to the Wind Rises, besides airplanes and I just love Jiro's character. I find him very easy to identify with, in a sort of frustrating way.

06.11.2015, 08:27 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I have to say that for the first four years of my life, I spent a total of 2 yrs in TB hospitals. I was very lucky in being able to undergo a treatment that held the disease in remission. The only effect of it now is that I, and my children, test positive in any skin tests and that I have to have periodic chest xrays. Other than that, I have led a full and healthy (well, more or less, lol) life.

06.11.2015, 10:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

FFF - have you seen the documentary "Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" about Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki's lifestyle / ethics towards anime as an artstyle and a commercial business? It was filmed during the production of Kaze Tachinu and throws some interesting light on the story. There's a long section about why and how Hideaki Anno was chosen to voice Jiro and you can really sense how different his voice and delivery is. I can't imagine Kaze Tachinu as the same film without his voice and style of speaking which was heavily influenced by Miyazaki's requests.

Very worth watching right before or just after a(nother) viewing of Kaze Tachinu.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.11.2015, 11:53 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm actually watching that this weekend! It's on Netflix.

06.11.2015, 03:23 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"Return to Never Land"... I got a kick out of Jane's accent...
Not quite as good as the original film, but passable.

Of course, the Robin Williams film was the best, IMO.

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.13.2015, 02:12 AM.

06.12.2015, 08:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Monsters University
The prequel to Monsters Inc was pretty good! Not one of the Pixar greats, but good.

06.13.2015, 07:31 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really enjoyed Monsters University when I saw it. The original tends to get overlooked, and the prequel did a good job of playing with different movie tropes using a recognisable cast of characters.

06.13.2015, 09:33 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

One of my favorite things about Pixar is how accurate it is. Monsters University is exactly like a (PG) college, everything in Ratatouille about cooking is true, everything in Finding Nemo about marine life is true. They only lack the artistry and beauty of Ghibli.

06.13.2015, 02:14 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

If you ever get to see it, there is a DVD of Pixar shorts. VERY amusing, I've gotten it a couple of times from Netflix and may try and find a copy for home.

06.13.2015, 05:39 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Watched Vanilla Sky for the umpteeth time today. Such a good story, so clever, so... mind-bending. Watched it with a friend who was seeing it for the first time and their reaction afterwards was "I have no idea what on earth I was watching"

06.14.2015, 12:27 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

I watched Finding Nemo today for the first time since I was 3! Very well made, with great story and characters, BEAUTIFUL animation, and some very well-placed action sequences. The pacing could've been a bit better, but I was too busy looking at the gorgeous ocean to notice. This is my first Blu-Ray movie on my new player, and it was STUNNING . Definitely worth the $20. For the movie, not the player.

Post last edited by FlareNetworkC on 06.16.2015, 11:36 PM.

06.16.2015, 11:36 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The Imitation Game.

Please watch this, its a glorious film and story. Very understated and very sympathetic. Very British.

The depiction of British military ignorance and procedures in the 1940s is depicted well, as is the horrible morass of the counter-intelligence and spying world. What we see of it is brutal, scary and unforgiving.

Alan Turing was far too naive to be involved in all this but his brilliant mind allowed the Ultra computer to be designed and built. With help from Joan Clarke and others in his team, Turing cracked what was thought to be an unbreakable German high command code. According to statisticians his work shortened the war by two years and saved up to 14,000,000 lives. Taking that one statistic - the saving of so many lives - Turing may well be the single most significant human who has ever lived.

In addition to that achievement his work also gave us the digital computer, the basics of which are used by every computer today.

What he suffered at the hands of the law and establishment post-war is nothing short of criminal idiocy.

In my view Turning is alongside Galileo, Newton, Einstein and Hawking as one of the most significant people ever.

06.17.2015, 04:18 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "From Up on Poppy Hill" again today...

06.18.2015, 12:48 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I highly recommend the latest Pixar movie, "Inside Out"... very good and I plan on seeing it again later this week.

06.21.2015, 06:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Over vacation, I watched School of Rock. Very funny, and Jack Black gives a great performance. Not a movie that'll blow people's minds, but funny nonetheless.

06.22.2015, 08:55 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

While I didn't watch a movie today, I did watch a scene from one. The Married Life sequence from Up is one of my favorite scenes in animation, along with the Totoro Umbrella scene and the Keep Your Station Clear scene from Ratatouille. Go watch it, it's beautiful. Not many films can tell an entire life story in 5 minutes with no words and still move an audience so deeply.

06.26.2015, 08:48 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
[  «    ...  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks