QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

no movies, but did watch some old "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in" shows from the late sixties. Very funny and brought back a lot of memories...

'flying fickle finger of fate'

'Here come da' judge, here come da' judge'

'You bet your bippy'

'ver-r-r-r-y interesting...'

08.14.2008, 01:06 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

whaaaa!!

it must be american material

08.14.2008, 03:48 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
A few days ago, I saw "Sin City." The whole thing felt like it popped right out of some twisted imagination and onto the movie screen; it was pure artistic vision. I'm not a big fan of ultraviolence, but thankfully it was all very stylized and unrealistic, which made less disturbing . . . well, a little less disturbing. It was still pretty messed up. But I'm a big fan of film noir, and the movie was like a film noir nightmare. On crack. So I liked it a lot.

Yeah, I saw it a while ago. I'm not into the whole blood and guts stuff either, but it seemed necessary, and the style made it really, really cool. I hope the second film will be as good.

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
Finally, I watched "The Orphanage" today. Good movie. Great cinematography. Some nice old-fashioned thrills, and a very solid story that comes together perfectly at the end. It isn't a masterpiece, but it's very welcome entertainment.

Would you say it's worth my while? I heard about it and thought it sounded pretty good.

08.14.2008, 06:57 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Yeah, I saw it a while ago. I'm not into the whole blood and guts stuff either, but it seemed necessary, and the style made it really, really cool. I hope the second film will be as good.

From the plot description on IMDb, it sounds like Jessica Alba will have a more dramatic part in the second movie, which could be disastrous. I hope the filmmakers don't have too much faith in her acting ability. Her role in the first one is probably her best performance, but then all she really had to do was act innocent and look hot--and I don't think she had to try much with either.

quote:
Would you say it's worth my while? I heard about it and thought it sounded pretty good.

Yes, definitely. Don't expect too much and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 08.14.2008, 09:43 AM.

08.14.2008, 09:43 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saw Tropic Thunder yesterday, hilarious. I was surprised how it was able to handle a few stars of comedy and get them all a share. It has the Ben Stiller comedy, which really isnt ever bad, save maybe a few cases. Ive also gained a lot of respect for Robert Downey Jr. He was the star imo.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

08.14.2008, 11:36 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

from the reviews here, I guess I'll have to see Tropic Thunder for myself...

big surprise here, watched 'Ocean Waves' and 'Spirited Away'... Got 'The Cat Returns for viewing later...

As I mentioned in another post,

I ain't got no TV... lol so read and watch DVD's

(well, I HAVE a TV, just no access to programs, lol)

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.15.2008, 09:52 PM.

08.15.2008, 09:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saw Tropic Thunder today.
Ben Stillers best since the hilarious Zoolander. Very different from most US comedies atm, which is a good thing. It's quite funny and has some hilarious self parodising performances. Tom Cruise is absolutely hilarious. Robert Downey Jr is also very good. And a nice performance by Steve "Alan Partridge" Coogan, someone british members might know.
Very funny. Enjoyed it.

Looking forward to Vicky Cristina Barcelona, the new one by Woody Allen with Penelope Cruz (very very good), Scarlett Johanssen (love her) and Bardem (wahey!).
And the new Cohen Brothers film on monday with a huge list of stars.
Might go for Stat Wars as well, if I have time.
And Batman again, in IMAX this time.

08.15.2008, 11:00 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Early today I watched pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, which in my opinion is the best of the three films.

Check out my music:

Post last edited by Tea Master Tall on 08.15.2008, 11:31 PM.

08.15.2008, 11:31 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, it so is!! All the other ones are alright.

Gah, they went so far downhill... wah...

Anyway, today I watched a movie and it was awesomeness!

It was called "Better of Dead", an eighties movie, but it was SO HILARIOUS!! The main character wax John Cusack, yup. ^^

I mean, it was insanity. But it was funny insanity. Rarely does a movie go to such extremes and keep from making it corny. I mean, yay!!! It was awesomeness. Watch it. Now. WAtch it. Now. Watch it. Now. NOW. Yay!!

08.16.2008, 03:11 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

watched Bra boys, which is about a group of australian surfers. it's actually more of a documentry, but it was aired in the cinamas and stuff. It was really good and inspriring, and funny at some points.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

08.16.2008, 03:36 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
MagicalTotoro
Calcifer

Registration Date: 07.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by MagicalTotoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
I didnt like the mummy at all. Twas very bad compared to the first two.

Im hoping to see Tropic thunder today.

EDIT: Saw Silence of the Lambs today
for the first time. Was very good. Very enjoyable.

Yeah I guess the new Mummy wasn't too amazing but I didn't think it was that bad though. I really liked the 3 headed dragon that Jet Li turned into! But yeah I think your right about the other two having been better now that I think about them. I wanted to check it out anyways cuz I was curious so I'm glad I have.

08.16.2008, 12:28 PM MagicalTotoro is offline   Profile for MagicalTotoro Add MagicalTotoro to your buddy list YIM Screenname: bulls23fan84
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Family Guy - Blue Harvest, one of the better Star Wars spoof films. "Can't we put some plywood over that exhaust port?

08.16.2008, 06:43 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmmm, I was a bit disappointed by that. Some of it was great, like the part with the couch, but a lot wasn't so good. It was a lot like the sixth season of Family Guy - overdoing the popular jokes until you get sick to death of them.

08.16.2008, 06:45 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, the couch was pretty funny.

But are you a big Star Wars fan?

I know it inside out, arren.

08.16.2008, 06:54 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I am a fan. I haven't seen the films in a long time, but I do know them fairly well. And I thought the actual Star Wars stuff in Blue Harvest was very funny, but that a lot of the other humour wasn't up to the old Family Guy standard.

08.16.2008, 06:56 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Yeah, I quess it's hard to keep up the comedy level when you've produced several series and it becomes differcult to think up new things, so the quality fades.

08.16.2008, 07:16 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yay, I watched "The Matrix!"

Yay, awesomeness!!!

I never thought that I would like that movie. Well, I was wrong and it was awesome.

08.16.2008, 09:42 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just watched "Munich."

It was very long, very disturbing, and very good.

08.16.2008, 10:48 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Yeah, the couch was pretty funny.

But are you a big Star Wars fan?

I know it inside out, arren.

You saw Clone Wars?

08.17.2008, 12:15 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Yay! Kiki
Baron

I just saw the Matrix Reloaded. Yay for long dragging on actions scenes without much point or reason, yay,yay!!

not nearly as good as the other one, IMO. The first was good because it was so original and awesome and what not. And they said awesomeness. This one was... action. Pretty much. There were some good scenes, but the rest... gah. I mean, what can you do when there's a guy that can multiply himself into infinity, any time, anywhere, and you're not able to get out?

Yeah, they really rather bored me. I think that Neo's character went downhill as well... and there was a tad bit too much of the romancy stuff, IMO... I guess that they were just focusing on how awesome their special effects were. After all, they were the first to use slow motion in a movie, at least I think...

Yeah. It was still rather good though. Left me creeped out though after the end, when it set it up for the third movie... gaaaaaaaaaaaaah...

Ah well, yay!! ^.^ Have to get myself back into a nice, uncreeped out happy mood, now, yay!! ^.^

08.17.2008, 02:53 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
[  «    ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks