QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...    »  ]
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched the Assassination of Jesse James last night with some friends. I have to admit it was a random choice and wow. It was really beautifully done...well, maybe beautiful isn't quite the word for the imagery but it was pretty cool. On the other hand, it left me feeling a little tired...too much stuff going on, kinda thing.

07.22.2008, 03:14 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well now, I watched Final Fantasy VII Advent Children twice today; first time watching it with Japanese dub and subtitles, and then with English dub. The English dub was surprisingly good IMO.

And hey, at the end, Cloud almost smiled. Shocking eh?

The action sequences were really awesome, it would have been so amazing to have seen this film in the cinema.

I'm glad I read up on FF7 plenty and read all about the characters and such before I watched this, seriously, it would have made so little sense. But then I guess the film isn't really aimed at those who don't know their FF7 pretty well... which is a little stupid considering how much that restricts the audience. But anyway... I really, really liked this film tbh. The characters were brilliant, 'specially the bad guys: Kadaj, Sephiroth, Yazoo and Loz, I liked them more than most of the good guy's team. Kadaj was the best I think. Aye and then... right at the very end... Zack. Zack was there, and so was Aerith. So slightly bittersweet ending. Mostly sweet though. ^^

Oh, and d'you know what else? Today was the first time I got a proper look at Vincent Valentine's outfit, and I just realised: in Kingdom Hearts, Cloud is wearing Vincent's clothes. o_o He even has the golden claw on his hand.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.22.2008, 05:15 PM.

07.22.2008, 05:15 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@KAZ
the film had a bit of action...but
none of the famous story that made it what it clearly was...a masterpiece! back in the origional game time 1997 or 1996 if you wanna get tech..

sephiroth died way to quick and he had a black wing like from kingdom hearts game ...which sucked seeming there both completely different, sephiroth's wing is white.
cid was good though...liked him...
and the brothers and stigma made the story just retarted...like ..it didn't even tie up loose threads from the origional game but just shoved another story out there at audiences.
AND RUFOUS WAS CAUGHT IN AN EXPLOSION FROM WHAT WEAPON BLASTED AT HIM!!!!!....and all he suffered from was the virus..
it was the sort of movie that would be forgotten in 4 years...
reno acted like a retarted cow....in the game he's what you'd call.....cool!.
i waited to see my favourite ff7 character for ages in that movie but all
nanaki A.K.A RED 13 said was "there are still children with the stigma" grrrr...that sucked

they should have left ff7 the hell alone

end of rant

07.22.2008, 10:51 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
Ive seen many brilliant films this year, ranging from things such as the Diving Bell and the Butterfly to There Will be Blood,

Okay, I have to comment on your labeling "There Will Be Blood" a brilliant film. I thought it tried really hard to be brilliant, and failed miserably.

First of all, none of my criticism has anything to do with the film's craft itself. I was actually impressed at how quickly the two-and-a-half hours whizzed by, and how engrossing the film had been throughout that time. Still, all the fine craft in the world can't save a pointless story.

So the guy gets rich, loses his soul, turns into a monster. So what? With no insight into his character, the whole thing is a purposeless endeavor. We never get a glimpse inside Plainview's head; he is an riddle with no answer. The real problem, I think, is that the filmmakers want us to believe that Daniel Plainview is a very deep character, when he is really a plot device designed to seem like a deep character. They want us to think he kills his fake brother for an important reason that when discovered will reveal a deep insight into human nature, but really, he kills him to resolve the plot thread. Same goes for Eli Sunday, only instead of a plot thread, it's the whole movie that needs resolving. Only there really isn't anything to resolve. The weird music doesn't serve any purpose other than to be weird and therefore "artistic"; different only for the sake of being different. Daniel Day-Lewis's supposedly mind-blowing performance wasn't bad, but it didn't approach the legendary status it was said to have achieved. I don't blame him. It's remarkable he pulled off the role as well as he did, since the character is essentially the puppet of a screenplay in dire need of closure--a fancily dressed puppet with well-hidden strings, but a puppet nonethless.

That was a pretty jumbled paragraph, but I'm having difficulty organizing all my negative thoughts about the movie; there are quite a few. In the end, it's an entertainment not many rungs up the evolutionary ladder from a gladiator fight. It's kind of like watching a cage fight between two maniacs, although you'd probably take more away from that experience.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 07.23.2008, 12:07 AM.

07.22.2008, 11:56 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched "Blazing Saddles" again for the umpteenth time. still leaves me laughing...

07.23.2008, 12:09 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
quote:
Originally posted by JRR
Ive seen many brilliant films this year, ranging from things such as the Diving Bell and the Butterfly to There Will be Blood,

Okay, I have to comment on your labeling "There Will Be Blood" a brilliant film. I thought it tried really hard to be brilliant, and failed miserably.

First of all, none of my criticism has anything to do with the film's craft itself. I was actually impressed at how quickly the two-and-a-half hours whizzed by, and how engrossing the film had been throughout that time. Still, all the fine craft in the world can't save a pointless story.

So the guy gets rich, loses his soul, turns into a monster. So what? With no insight into his character, the whole thing is a purposeless endeavor. We never get a glimpse inside Plainview's head; he is an riddle with no answer. The real problem, I think, is that the filmmakers want us to believe that Daniel Plainview is a very deep character, when he is really a plot device designed to seem like a deep character. They want us to think he kills his fake brother for an important reason that when discovered will reveal a deep insight into human nature, but really, he kills him to resolve the plot thread. Same goes for Eli Sunday, only instead of a plot thread, it's the whole movie that needs resolving. Only there really isn't anything to resolve. The weird music doesn't serve any purpose other than to be weird and therefore "artistic"; different only for the sake of being different. Daniel Day-Lewis's supposedly mind-blowing performance wasn't bad, but it didn't approach the legendary status it was said to have achieved. I don't blame him. It's remarkable he pulled off the role as well as he did, since the character is essentially the puppet of a screenplay in dire need of closure--a fancily dressed puppet with well-hidden strings, but a puppet nonethless.

I have to disagree with you there. I saw the film half a year ago and I would have to rewatch it to refresh my memory. I don't know what the film did to you, but I remember feeling like I was inside his mind. Like his slow descent into misery was affecting me (which it was!). It was a very unusual film. Both Punch Drunk Love and There will be Blood are not like any other films in terms of film making. Any films nowadays, no matter what genre they have, have a certain grammar of cinema. You feel in a rhythm, it's all similar in a way. These two movies aren't. It felt very very strange but ultimately refreshing to be drawn into this world where everything is upside down. You never know what would happen. Even in other films where you dont know how the film would resolve itself you have a feel for where you are, that it will continue. I felt like TWBB could have ended at any moment, suddenly. And you must say, that final scene is incredible! I am drinking your milkshake.

Now to the score. The score is incredible. Listen to it on CD and it will blow your mind. I'm not saying it's better than a good conventional score, it's just a really good one. The dissonance really fits to the jagged character of Plainview, the ethereal beauty of some of the songs is truly haunting. So, Im not saying its like the innovation, but it's just a brilliant, fitting score.

We should decided upon a day in a month or two (when I'm back home), where we both watch it and then submit ourselves to battles. However, I have heard that it get's better everytime you see it (it was better the second time), just because it such an orgy of sensations and things you dont understand, that it slowly unfolds itself every time you see it.

Post last edited by Loscil on 07.23.2008, 03:22 AM.

07.23.2008, 03:20 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Easy on the spoilers Farren!

Oh, I saw Ratatouille last night. It was great.

07.23.2008, 03:44 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Farren
@KAZ
the film had a bit of action...but
none of the famous story that made it what it clearly was...a masterpiece! back in the origional game time 1997 or 1996 if you wanna get tech..

sephiroth died way to quick and he had a black wing like from kingdom hearts game ...which sucked seeming there both completely different, sephiroth's wing is white.
cid was good though...liked him...
and the brothers and stigma made the story just retarted...like ..it didn't even tie up loose threads from the origional game but just shoved another story out there at audiences.
AND RUFOUS WAS CAUGHT IN AN EXPLOSION FROM WHAT WEAPON BLASTED AT HIM!!!!!....and all he suffered from was the virus..
it was the sort of movie that would be forgotten in 4 years...
reno acted like a retarted cow....in the game he's what you'd call.....cool!.
i waited to see my favourite ff7 character for ages in that movie but all
nanaki A.K.A RED 13 said was "there are still children with the stigma" grrrr...that sucked

they should have left ff7 the hell alone

end of rant

Erm... hehe, where to start? Well, no, I thought Reno was great, still cool. Red XIII isn't exactly a major character.

Who said this film had anything to do with tying up loose ends from the game anyway? I mean, come on, you're criticising the film for having it's own plot?

My Anime List

07.23.2008, 05:29 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ kaz

no i'm not criticising the movie i'm criticising the fact that they made a sequel irrelevent in many ways to the game ,and shoved a mediocre film about fighting, and random sephiroth clones which just happen to exist...eventhough it was, recorded throughout the game that cloud and zac were hojo's last sephiroth clones...
out on the market without clearing up the issues about the game that remained a mystery for 10 years!!
10 years later and they produced rubbish.

hmm , yeah in the movie red 13 played a small role ..but apparently only because ,quote "red 13's fur is to difficult to render " > ....

07.23.2008, 05:47 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
no i'm not criticising the movie
O rly?
quote:
a mediocre film

they produced rubbish.
OK...

But you're saying it again, criticising Advent Children because it doesn't explain whatever plot holes were left in your games. So? The director wasn't obliged to do that. So what if they didn't clear up in-game issues that remained a mystery for ten years? That's not why the film was made.

My Anime List

07.23.2008, 06:44 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Seriously though, Advent Children is beautiful fan-candy. Nothing more.
Don't expect it to be deep or anything. It's like you dont expect Die Hard to be anymore than kick ass action.

07.23.2008, 06:52 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
Don't expect it to be deep or anything.
Yeah, I agree with that. ^^

My Anime List

07.23.2008, 07:21 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
Don't expect it to be deep or anything. It's like you dont expect Die Hard to be anymore than kick ass action.

Hey come on now. Die Hard is more than a kick ass action movie. Its a kick ass action movie with kick ass drinking movie potential.

Yesterday I watched Saw 2 and Tin Cup. Saw 2 was pretty good but I think I liked the first one more. And Tin Cup is the best comedic golf movie ever imo.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.23.2008, 12:54 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
filter
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by filter Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think i might watch Kung fu panda again when i get home funny,

why what you watchin?

07.23.2008, 10:50 PM filter is offline   Profile for filter Add filter to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

@ kaz
hmm i honestly have no idea why the film was made...
it really doesn't have a purpose..like jrr said just a fan-candy...but noobs watch it and think they get the whole gist of the ff7 story in the film.....grrr absoulute balderdash..

at least in the other games on the market that are ff7 related, they go into the past of the game to clear up issues
like stuff relating to zac and sephiroth.,
and even an interesting past showing the turks at the peak OF THEIR POWER..

but advent children i know its not a game but honestly....

i dunno
i guese these prequels and sequels
are changing
the shining image of ff7 that i have known ever since i was 8, making it more of a gimicky shortlive craze.
tainting the 1997 classic

@
jrr

yeah your right about that
it is just fan candy

but what annoys me is people watching a pretty much unrelated film which has ff7 characters thrust in it (Advent children)...and suddenly they think there ff7 fans what a jocular thing to say.

rambling yet again sorry...

07.24.2008, 04:36 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Y'know, I haven't ever played ff7 . . . but I have played III and XII, yay! And Crystal Chroncles as well . . . I should see the final fantasy stuff sometime, dunno why, but I should.

07.24.2008, 05:17 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Farren
@ kaz
hmm i honestly have no idea why the film was made...
One word: money.
quote:
what annoys me is people watching a pretty much unrelated film which has ff7 characters thrust in it (Advent children) ...and suddenly they think they're ff7 fans; what a jocular thing to say.
Hm... I only really like Final Fantasy 'cause of the pretty boys I think. So, OK, I'm not an FF7 fan. I'll just be a Crisis Core and Advent Children fan. 'Cause Crisis Core was awesome, despite not having played it, I have watched all 71 FMVs/cutscenes in the game, so I understood the story.

But anyway, we're getting off-topic now... looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree. I can't argue with a die-hard FF7 fan. Yeah?

My Anime List

07.24.2008, 05:49 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Talking about movies.
First trialer for the Watchmen movie
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/high.html

I strongly advise anyone who hasnt, to read the comic. It is absolutely amazing and better than 99% of the 100s of manga comics I own.
And trailer looks amazing.

07.24.2008, 06:57 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I added a few more to my watched list. I was bored so I decided to stay up late and watch some movies, finished Saw 3 & 4 and A Beautiful Mind. I still think the original Saw film was the best of them so far.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.24.2008, 11:26 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Farren
Baron

@kaz
hmm your right we can agree we disagree
i don't think you'd get the whole story after watching after watching the stuff on the net,even if you've watched the game story shots from the extra's on the ff7AC dvd....
i've played the whole game through about ten times and still there are things and parts of the story that somehow just don't add up..
but yeah your right ...way off topic..

i watched gil mayo mysteries last night.. so funny
(not a movie though)

Post last edited by Farren on 07.24.2008, 09:11 PM.

07.24.2008, 09:09 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
[  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks