QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  ...    »  ]
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Went to a Coen Brothers + Jeff Bridges double bill.

True Grit - brilliant film with some great cinematography. I'm surprised it was nominated for so many Oscars and failed to win any.

The Big Lebowski - completely ridiculous, and so, so funny.

Ahhhh I adored True Grit when I saw it, genuinely think it is one of the most beautiful films (cinematography wise) I have seen in a long time. That coupled with the overall excellent acting I really am shocked it didn't win anything, having seen the majority of the big films that were up to win awards it was by far my favourite.

The Big Lebowski is great too :') Jeff Bridges is so versatile ahaha.

I watched Toy Story 3 again last night, during the day The Fifth Element, and over the weekend in general The Shawshank Redemption and Gladiator. All of which are films I've seen many times before but are excellent. Luc Besson really did an extraordinary job with The Fifth Element, considering it came over a decade ago when special effects were still largely undeveloped in comparison to today it still more than pulls its weight compared to other films of its kind. The costume and just whole stylised aspect to it is always my favourite quality of the film - it's just so damn cool.

06.13.2011, 08:30 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Pan's Labyrinth, after a long time seeing it I rewatched it. I just love the whole melancholic and odd atmosphere in this movie based on the Greek myth.
<3

Today watched the first 40 minutes of 'Richard III', which is a movie of 1955, and I didn't liked it at all. It looks much more like a play, with many difficult and fast dialogues, slowly getting to the point and just sooo old and outdated. Couldn't stand watching more of it..

Guess I'm going to watch some Big Bang Theory episodes, they're hilarous

06.15.2011, 01:37 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
Kemi
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

''The Last Station'' - about the last days of the famous Russian author Lev Tolstoy.
I found this movie very beautiful and intriguing, good acting by Helen Mirren by the way, but then again; every movie I saw her in, she was absolutely fantastic.

After this movie I really became interested in his work. I think I should read at least one of his classics..

06.16.2011, 04:54 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched Ponyo again... Watched it in both the Dubbed version and the subtitled version... liked it better in the subbed version...

Curious about one thing in the movie... towards the end when a small plane is flying overhead, I wonder if the identification number on the wing has any meaning towards Miyazaki-san, know that he has an aircraft background of sorts... "JA1672"...

Also watched the old Hiyazaki-san version of "Heidi". Noted a couple of things about the movie. In the scene where Heidi is drinking a bowl of milk, she finishes and breathes out in a puff sort of thing. It reminded me so much of Taeko in "Only Yesterday" when she puffs out while explaining her bad grades to her mother...

Also, where Aunt Dekie, when taking Heidi to Frankfurt looks back at the Grandfather while leading Heidi away. She has a smirk on her fact that is so much like Lupin...

06.19.2011, 06:53 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched "Gulliver's Travels" with Jack Black last night... EH...

06.22.2011, 11:31 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's today!

Audrey Hepburn is one of my favourite actresses ever so I knew I'd like it but it really was enchanting. Just a beautiful movie in every way, I enjoyed it a lot.

06.22.2011, 03:31 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, I watched that decades ago and it was great then. has a wonderful soundfrack album that I had for many, many years... on an LP record...

yeah, yah, I know... I'm dating myself again... lol

06.22.2011, 09:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Saw "Green Lantern"... it was good, but very, VERY LOUD!!!!! I actually had to cover my ears for a bit... Lots of action scenes...

going to try for "Cars 2" tomorrow...

06.28.2011, 12:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kemi
Totoro

I just saw The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas.
I can't remember the last time I cried so much at a movie, this is so incredibly sad. That ending scene...oh my..
Good acting by Asa Butterfield (Bruno). I found this movie very beautiful and emotional. The friendship between the two boys is so innocent, if they knew what was yet to come..

The intro text was so good, it's the main theme in this movie, stating 'Childhood is measured out by sounds and smells and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows'.. so true and this movie stays in my thoughts.

Post last edited by Kemi on 06.28.2011, 04:19 PM.

06.28.2011, 04:18 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Saw "Cars2"... very, very good... Can't wait until I can get the DVD to watch in slower motion some of the scenery that fairly whizzed by...

06.28.2011, 07:38 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, its been a while, again..

I watched Summer Wars just now.
I haven't watched many animes besides Ghibli films, and this one was amazing!
I wish i knew more films like it.

07.10.2011, 04:50 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
husky51
The Old Guy

Tried to watch "Novacaine" with Steve Martin, but I couldn't get into it...

So I watched "Without a Paddle" instead... not much better, sigh...

07.11.2011, 12:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kemi
Totoro

Pfff...let's see, latest movies I saw where;

*Sister, my Sister - the story of two sister maids who get a lesbian relationship with eachother and eventually get mad. What happens is to see for yourself, it is a very tragic story based on true events. Joely Richardson is phenomenal in this movie, I should have given her an oscar for this. Excellent acting, very convincing. But the whole cast did an amazing job. Very intriguing story that hold my focus the whole time, something which is rare for me.

*Angels of the Universe (English title) - an Icelandic movie about a guy, Paul, who is dumped by his true love and then eventually gets schizofrenic and has to spend his time in a ''madhouse'' (what's the word?) unique movie, heavy story, and finally not the hollywood ending, I don't like a happy end all the time.
It's sometimes just not the best choice. Definitely not a happy movie

*When the light comes - a Dutch/'Norwegian movie about a girl (true story) who spends her holiday during the winter in Spitsbergen (above Norway) with a trapper. At first she can't stand the cold, the primitive life and him (Lars), but eventually she realizes she has to make the best of it and throw away all her prejudice. Beautiful movie, with amazing shots of the northpole and nature there.

Post last edited by Kemi on 07.11.2011, 02:54 PM.

07.11.2011, 02:53 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

I watched Marley and Me because it was on the tv last night, I'd seen it before but forgotten how sad the ending was. For a movie that depends on Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston's acting abilities it isn't bad.

07.11.2011, 03:03 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The.... uhh clangers series 1... ahem...

07.11.2011, 05:24 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Inception last night, i can see why people think it's soo good!

Tonight i'm going to watch some teen drama, Gossip Girl lol.

07.12.2011, 07:17 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I bought Howl's Moving Castle kinda recently.....love the image quality on the DVD. I also watched Kiki's Delivery service the other day. Been kinda slow here lately.

07.17.2011, 06:00 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Saw "The King's Speech" a little while ago and it was marvelous...

07.18.2011, 10:25 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Mrs. Brown" this morning.

I don't know how factual the movie was, but it was a nice thought anyway. I wonder what happened to the diary and if, in fact, there was one?

Overall, I enjoyed it...

07.24.2011, 11:33 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I went to another cinema double bill today. This time it was Spanish horror films, which were The Orphanage and Julia's Eyes. The Orphanage was superior as a horror movie, but Julia's Eyes was good too, even though it was more of a thriller. And anyway, I was quite glad it didn't have as much suspense as The Orphanage, which was seriously creepy.

07.24.2011, 02:29 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks