QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...    »  ]
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I went and saw "Get Smart" for the second time today and it was rather funny, yay!

07.11.2008, 05:38 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saw hancock yesterday/today. Over midnight. Awesomeness.
It's okay. I knew I wouldnt be impressed beforehand anyways.

And sweeney todd isn't pretty good, but aboslutely awesome.
As is 28 days later.

07.12.2008, 10:03 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw In Bruges. Really good.

Saw Sweeney Todd a while ago. Awesomeness.

07.13.2008, 12:36 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saw Hellboy II a couple days ago. Ron Pearlman kicks ass, good times.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.13.2008, 10:15 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Saw Sweeney Todd a while ago. Awesomeness.

Sweeney Todd was messed up. I mean, it was well-done, but my God was it disturbing--and I went into the film knowing all the gruesome plot details. 19th century London must have been a fun place.

07.13.2008, 05:53 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not today, but I saw a few films about a week ago. WALL-E, Hancock and Indiana Jones. I would rate their quality like this:

#1) WALL-E

(big gap)

#2) Indiana Jones 4

(slightly smaller gap)

#3) Hancock

Hancock was a wasted opportunity. It's no masterpiece, but it could have been a cynical take on superheros but it just became a mess of plotlines and motifs.

07.13.2008, 09:31 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Hancock last night, and it stunk beyond believe, more than my toilet does at the moment!
Will Smith is losing his cutesy boy looks too! Though I did'nt go for that!

Post last edited by Chihiros-Dream-Boy on 07.15.2008, 05:48 PM.

07.15.2008, 05:36 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ugh, I just saw Earth. Allow me to summarise: an unnecessarily depressing, dumbed-down rehash of Planet Earth.

It's nothing but a piece of global-warming propaganda, and a pretty blatant one at that. Plus the majority of their footage was actually taken from what was originally filmed for the Planet Earth series, which was brilliant. It was just so damn grim the whole time, they kept showing the migration of this herd of elephants to the Okavango delta, and it was nothing but problem after problem after problem, tragedy after tragedy. And there was no actual point to it, which makes it even worse. There was absolutely nothing new, and it was horribly predictable. You could just see that great white shark coming to kill that sea-lion before it even broke the surface of the water, you knew that polar bear was going to get stabbed and die.

Trash. Utter trash.

My Anime List

07.15.2008, 05:44 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I went to a sneak preview at anenglish cinema here in munich today. What it is, is a movie at 23.30. What movie, you don't know. All you know is that it wont be out in germany for at least another month.

I went in the hope of getting to see Batman, the Dark Knight. My wishes were granted. I shouted in joy with everyone else as the DC comics logo appeared and we knew we were in for one hell of a ride.

What followed was, in my opinion, the best action movie ever made. It was absolutely amazing and awe-inspiring. Every facet of it.

I ahve never sat in a cinema staring at a screen with a slack jaw, just pure amazed. Until yesterday. The film was absolutely mind-blowing.
And I'm not saying this in the way that idiots who go see spiderman come out of the cinema and say "that was the best film ever made". I like to think I know at least a little of what a movie should have or needs and this movie has it all. Just read some of the reviews out there.. You will be hard pressed to find anything less than ravishing.

I have seen many a brilliant movie. Most of them not action. And if so, as in the case of Die Hard 4, they were awesome in a cheesy way but never seriously emotional or anything like that.

In yesterdays film I was amazed by the action. Moved to the border of tears at least twice. Scared, even disgusted by the absolutely incredible, may I even say perfect, performance of heath ledger as the joker.

And my I expand on that. Heath Ledger's performance as the joker is the most haunting and disturbing performance I ahev ever seen. It is absolutely mesmerizing. It draws you in, disgusts you, makes you laugh, makes oyu tremble in fear. I am not exaggerating in any way, shape or form.

Though I might have seen films that were as good as the Dark Knight, I have never seen a film in my whole lilfe that has left me so awe-struck. I was the first to start clapping when the movie ended.

I am honestly and truly one hundred percent of the belief that this is one of the best films I have ever seen. Definitely the best comic book and probably even action movie ever made.

And Saddles, you would be an idiot to not go to the cinema and see this movie (I hope that doesn't offend you). I know you dont watch live action films anymore (A huge mistake if I may say so). You don't know how many amazing movies you have missed. But that doesn't matter. You have to go to the cinema to watch this film. It is a master of modern film making. A blockbuster that has more emotion and depth than at least 99% of all films made in the last 10 years.

I know you'Ve chosen to ignore the still (far) superior medium of live-action film, but please do not miss this film. Go watch it. And if you don't like it (which would be blasphemy!) don't balme me. Blame yourself for not getting it.

While you'Re at it, watch batman begins first. Though no match to the new film, it is still absolutely incredible.

btw, before anyone reacts negatively to the comment about live action film and anime, let me clarify a little. Though brilliant anime can definitely hold up against brilliant film, there are so few brilliant anime movies while there are always a good bunch of brilliant live aciton movies every year. That's all Im saying.

07.19.2008, 05:37 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Registration Date: 06.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Going to put on the original uncut Texas Chainsaw Massacare

07.19.2008, 05:41 PM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nice review JRR, I'll hopefully see Batman at the end of next week.

But today I saw 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth in 3D', I was'nt expecting very much from it except endless objects being projected at the camara in a mindless fashion .

But it's a really good film in it's own right, the plot was not stupid, infact it was quite believable and the special effects were spectacular in 3D.

Finally the acting was'nt hammy, which it could have easily been, the blonde girl in the film is an absolute dream, I usually only get the hots for brunettes , but she was awesome, I've never seen her before, but I'm sure she crop-up in many more films now, she's a classy girl/young lady!

Brendan Fraser is my main-man, I saw him in Harrods a couple of years ago, both of us were looking in the TV department. But, I love that guy, he really can play the hapless action hero, the new 'Indy'? maybe?

Talking of Indy, some of this films action sequencies have come directly from 'Temple of Doom', but where that film stunk, this film excels! 8] (me with my 3D specs on)

07.19.2008, 08:16 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My friend wants to see the Dark Knight, but he can't yet because he's here. He's a huge Batman fan.

More films I've seen:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Monty Python's Life Of Brian
Click

07.20.2008, 06:40 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

in my opinion once you've seen one batman movie you seen em all. They all follow the same storyline: kid has parents killed, kid becomes angsty superhero, superhero does battle with asome sort of weirdo and gets the girl.

i saw the man from snowy river two today. No where near as good as the original but still pretty damn good.
*sob* poor bess... And poor miner guy! been mining all his life and dies only to have gold discovered three meters from where he died.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

07.20.2008, 07:24 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Loscil
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by harmony-of-mar
in my opinion once you've seen one batman movie you seen em all. They all follow the same storyline: kid has parents killed, kid becomes angsty superhero, superhero does battle with asome sort of weirdo and gets the girl.

Well. That was totally stupid.
First of all, that's not even what happens in Batman Begins (though, obviously the basis of the story has been written).

And that is DEFINITELY not what happens in the new one. You can't be so full of prejudice when you havent seen it. This film has no cheesy super-hero stuff. No parents getting killed. And the weirdo is the best weirdo ever, and I mean EVER, shown on screen. He will win an oscar, mark my words. And in terms of the girl... if you knew what happens with the girl...
Lets just say, your above synopsis is pretty much a piece of nonsensical crap. See the new movies. And be amazed by the Dark Knight.
I am not kidding when I say that it is the best action movie EVER made.

07.21.2008, 03:22 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

right, i'm full of crap, got it

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

07.21.2008, 03:48 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's what they said when Harry Potter was first released. And then Spiderman came out. And then Superman Returns came out. And then... then...

You get the idea.

Well I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on it's "greatness" (waiting for crowd to dwindle down), but action movies are generally so cheesy and unrealistic, courtesy of Hollywood, that it drowns out whatever incredible storyline that even exist. I watch movies, yes, but I gave up on Hollywood a very long time ago still.

EDIT: Yeah, to be on topic. Saw Once Upon a Time in China 1-2, will watch part 3 when time permits. The twinkle has died since I first saw them as a kid, plus it being a kungfu flick and all that, but with as much fame in China as Indiana Jones in the States, it's a good watch for nostalgia.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.21.2008, 09:02 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What you get out of movies are pretty directly tied to what you put in. The more you care the more highs and lows are reached. I think its really hard to critique stuff like this, but, the main reason that the new Batmans are so popular is tied to the comics and the fans of those comics. You dont make 155 million on opening weekend without playing a bit on the nostalgia factor. Ill probably see it, but its not like its going to give me an epiphany or anything.

Saw The Bucket List last night, well, half of it anyways. I had a cat sleeping on my face for the other half.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.21.2008, 11:58 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Well I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on it's "greatness" (waiting for crowd to dwindle down), but action movies are generally so cheesy and unrealistic, courtesy of Hollywood, that it drowns out whatever incredible storyline that even exist. I watch movies, yes, but I gave up on Hollywood a very long time ago still.

Thtas why this movie (and even the previous one) are so great. I cam out and I was so happy that all these emotions, all the tension you're only used to from smaller films, it all worked in this blockbuster. And better than in any other film.
It reinstated my faith in that hollywood blockbusters can actually be amazing if made correctly.
Of course its gonna be unrealistic, but you never realise it, cause youre so drawn in. And its never cheesy. Not for one moment.

Trust me, you will love this film, and it might even reinstigate your, maybe not trust.. but, hope in hollywood.
And watch Batman Begins as well, its a great step in the direction that the DArk Knight perfected.

07.22.2008, 03:19 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I watch Batman Begins last night, and I cant say I have your enthusiasm with it. It was good and all, but its not like it blew me away or anything, the parts of his start were good, but the actual plot and everything seemed a bit lacking to me. But thats just my opinion.

Click for Gallery^^

07.22.2008, 10:59 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

I know what you mean.
Though Batman Begins was by far the best comic book movie up to that point and definitely far ahead from many of its brethren there are still a few things separating it from, for example, oscar winning films. I found the Bruce Wayne character very good, but realised that the interesting story was not always continued in the super hero parts.

Watch the dark knight, and you will see it has everything that batman begins needed, and so much more. I know there will be prejudice cause its an action film and stuff, but for me, it would be an Oscar contender.
Ive seen many brilliant films this year, ranging from things such as the Diving Bell and the Butterfly to There Will be Blood, but the Dark Knight is still the one that left the largest impression on me.
It really blew me away.

I guess youve realised, that even 4 days later I still write paragraphs of enthusiasm.

07.22.2008, 12:38 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
[  «    ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks