QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Girls!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Girls!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Honestly, that could even be now. Nothing seems particularly out-of-place; it's just that the soft colours make it seem like an old photograph.

11.08.2013, 12:35 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd say it was intended to be in the past. Tram is old style, postmen don't dress like that anymore, art-deco architecture and ladies in kimonos. There's not one modern thing in the scene and several that indicate several decades ago.

We also know its linked to another picture in which one of the girls is holding a girls magazine that ceased publication in the early 1940s.

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/...unknown-25-.jpg

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 11.08.2013, 02:04 PM.

11.08.2013, 01:57 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When I saw the picture on page 64 I didn't read any further, but went searching for the first picture (in my mind, I think of the two as connected) I finally found it on page 59. I agree that the mystery of the photograph is solved, but only partially. I don't think that is a postman, but a student. And possibly a soldier between the two middle girls.

After continuing my read, THEN I find Saddles link... sigh!

Possibly there was an accident and the one girl died, chilling the exuberance of the girls in the second picture.

I would love to find the story behind this or to see more of this artist... listed as unknown...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.08.2013, 03:32 PM.

11.08.2013, 03:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree, now that Roar has found a second picture its really fascinating. The artist has a story in mind. I want to find the artists name.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.08.2013, 03:42 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

looking at the two pictures, I notice cherry blossoms in the background trees in pic #2. While looking at Pic #1, I never noticed it before, but it looks like the seated girl has a bandage around her neck. And the cherry trees seem to have aged a bit, not the first bloom, so maybe not much time has passed between the two. It would seem that maybe a common occurrence injured the two and killed the third. Just occurred to me that it might be war related??? Don't think so, but a possibility...

I just don't know where to look for the story...

I think that it is remarkable that we all knew what Roar was referring to when he mentioned the photograph. That first picture made an impression on us all, apparently.

OK, Saddles posted the first picture and Roar the second picture... Get it together, guys... We're counting on you.

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.08.2013, 03:55 PM.

11.08.2013, 03:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yes the bandages were something Roar was talking about before.

11.08.2013, 03:55 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

On the legs of the one gorl and now the neck of the other. I didn't see any reference to the neck bandage before.
I edited my previous post a bit.

11.08.2013, 03:57 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

That could be a schoolboy and not a postman but the presence of a cap puts the picture well back in time for sure. I didn't see the figure in the middle of the girls and yes it could be a soldier.

Short-haired girl on the right is the one who died.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 11.08.2013, 04:33 PM.

11.08.2013, 04:30 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I agree, she seems so bright and cheerful...

There is not much of the car (or van?) visible so it is hard to determine just when it may be, but I would put it in the 40's maybe or early 50's

11.08.2013, 04:54 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Its not quite right due to the rear side window but it reminds me of a Citroen Dyane:

Note the style of wheels.

The Dyane though was built in the late 1960s so I think that's just artistic error or something.

11.08.2013, 04:59 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, so glad you guys remembered. Truth be told, I found the picture by accident while searching for a light novel. It was used as a website's banner, so unfortunately there's no title.

And yes, I'm dying to know of the artist's name. This looks too pro to be fanmade.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

11.09.2013, 03:14 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, I didn't know about the connection with an earlier picture... And actually, the guy in the hat struck me as probably being a student too.

11.09.2013, 04:48 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

arren and orphic... you guys being over there, maybe if you have some spare time could look online or something for a vehicle that matches the one shown. Remember, that would be the back of the vehicle. I have been trying over here, but if I put something in like, say, '1951 Daihatsu, I get a couple of pics and then cars from all over the world which doesn't help...

I think that it is from the late 40's into the 50's... Don't detract from your school times for this, only if you have the time...

11.09.2013, 05:54 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Wow, so glad you guys remembered. Truth be told, I found the picture by accident while searching for a light novel. It was used as a website's banner, so unfortunately there's no title.

And yes, I'm dying to know of the artist's name. This looks too pro to be fanmade.

Are there contact details for the webmaster on that site? If so please ask where they got it.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 11.09.2013, 09:41 AM.

11.09.2013, 09:38 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
That could be a schoolboy and not a postman but the presence of a cap puts the picture well back in time for sure. I didn't see the figure in the middle of the girls and yes it could be a soldier.

Short-haired girl on the right is the one who died.

He's definitely a school-boy, I thought it was obvious from his expression that he's looking at one of the girls because he likes them? Or at least, the timid/bashful expression he has made me immediately think that was the case anyway.

11.09.2013, 11:24 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I've tried to look at Japanese car models for the times that I think it is, but no luck so far (see posts above). I sketched out the details that I could see and filled in where apparent. Not much to go by. Mainly the body so close to the wheel and the window shapes.

That and the trolley with it distinct electric pick-up array.

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.09.2013, 01:21 PM.

11.09.2013, 01:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The car I would say is fiction or just not terribly skilfully drawn. No car would have its rear axle that close to the back end, certainly not one from the middle of the last century before the era of hatchbacks, almost every car had a trunk/boot space of some kind.

I still think the styling and the wheel is closest to the Dyane as I linked.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 11.09.2013, 01:57 PM.

11.09.2013, 01:56 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

1950 Datsun ds

Just about right except that in the painting, it is more squared off.

=========================

1930's bus
Without the engine cowling and the blue band around the top, the windows match to some extent. But that would mean the bus was traveling l to r (on a one-way st.?)
==========================

1940/50's trolley
The body and electric pick-up array are close.
======================

As for the car/bus?? being something made up, I don't think so. There is so much detail in the rest of the painting that I just can't see the artist doing that.

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.09.2013, 06:31 PM.

11.09.2013, 04:11 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I know that the pics above are off topic except that they are related to the search for the origins for the two pictures,

So here is something on topic, lol

Sharp personalities... lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.09.2013, 04:23 PM.

11.09.2013, 04:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Random images I found on a Japanese blog.

12.08.2013, 12:23 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks