QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Only Yesterday
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Only Yesterday » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
cassiepaige
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.14.08
  Only YesterdayPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by cassiepaige Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i think it should be english dubbed

02.14.2008, 02:34 AM cassiepaige is offline   Profile for cassiepaige Add cassiepaige to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, I think you're in the wrong section. Was this meant to be in the 'Ghibli Discussions' section? If so perhaps you should post it again there, or ask Roarkiller to move this thread for you. I think you'll have more chance of replies there.

I haven't actually seen this one. Must do so sometime.

My Anime List

02.14.2008, 12:52 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, it should be in Ghibli Discussions...

But anyway, there is a dub. Unless the UK DVD doesn't have a dub, which I doubt.

02.14.2008, 01:02 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I hate disney. They refuse to release the film in the United States even though they own the distribution rights because they feel that it would hurt their image.

02.14.2008, 11:57 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This subj has been discussed at length on the Nausicaa mailing list in recent weeks and the concensus there is it might not be to do with the company's family image but more to do with lack of profit potential on a movie that would attract low sales figures.

And yeah, Roar, can you move this thread please?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.15.2008, 02:37 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Seiji
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
This subj has been discussed at length on the Nausicaa mailing list in recent weeks and the concensus there is it might not be to do with the company's family image but more to do with lack of profit potential on a movie that would attract low sales figures.

And yeah, Roar, can you move this thread please?

Turner Classic Movies compiles statistics on how demanded a movie is for DVD release in the U.S. Only Yesterday has ranked as high as second on that list, and is, last I checked, ranked third.

Of course that may not still be any indication of profit potential, since this is a list of most demanded movies that AREN'T released. Needless to say that there are many many movies with much greater demand, but since they do have scheduled releases they don't make the list.

It's been released all over the world though, By Disney companies I'm pretty sure, since they own global distrubtion rights excluding Japan, and it seems that in places such as the U.K. and Australia, it is still in production, which to me indicates that it's making money. Considering that the anime industry is (or so I've heard) considerably larger in the U.S., I'm a bit surprised to learn that Only Yesterday couldn't turn a profit.

But I don't really know all of the facts. I still hate Disney for holding a license they don't intend to use. Why not sell it to somebody else? Can they do that? I don't really know...

02.15.2008, 05:24 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The UK release is nothing to do with Disney, Optimum Releasing is an independent UK-based DVD publisher and presumably dealt direct with Ghibli's marketing people when it released its UK R2 (subtitled) version.

http://www.optimumreleasing.com/about.php

Disney holds the rights only for the USA as far as I'm aware.

Dubbing a foreign movie is a big project with associated expenses and risks, given that the single biggest English-speaking market is the USA and Disney holds the rights there, no-one else would be crazy enough to undertake an English-language dubbing project of their own.

And as with Whisper's "Country Roads" song there will be no-doubt complex legal wrangles within the US to agree royalties etc on "The Rose" ending song.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 02.15.2008, 07:03 PM.

02.15.2008, 07:01 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Seiji
Totoro

quote:
The UK release is nothing to do with Disney, Optimum Releasing is an independent UK-based DVD publisher and presumably dealt direct with Ghibli's marketing people when it released its UK R2 (subtitled) version.

http://www.optimumreleasing.com/about.php

Disney holds the rights only for the USA as far as I'm aware.

Dubbing a foreign movie is a big project with associated expenses and risks, given that the single biggest English-speaking market is the USA and Disney holds the rights there, no-one else would be crazy enough to undertake an English-language dubbing project of their own.

And as with Whisper's "Country Roads" song there will be no-doubt complex legal wrangles within the US to agree royalties etc on "The Rose" ending song.

For starters, I'm well aware that dubbing is expensive, especially when you (Disney) insist on using hollywood actors rather than professional voice actors in your dubs. I'm sure ADV would have no problem releasing it.

So then, why can't they just release it sub only? And how the heck did Optimum Release get the rights to something contained in the in the Disney Tokuma deal? Maybe they sold it there... Or maybe the deal has been altered now that Tokuma does not own Ghibli... Optimum no doubt had to deal with the same royalties issue for "The Rose" in their subbed version.

And it's not like Disney isn't a company that can afford to take a few risks.

Take a bit of that Hannah Montana revenue and produce an Only Yesterday subbed DVD

02.15.2008, 08:19 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Disney would never released a subtitled-only movie, its just not in their vocabulary or marketing. You may as well ask them to send a mission to Mars

There are umpteen companies producing Ghibli movies within their own national borders. Canadian companies, French, South African, Asia (Optimum also markets in these last 2 regions), Russia even I think. Are you mistaken about the Tokuma deal? Was that not limited to just the USA? Or maybe it is limited to dubbed releases?

The bottom line is, whether for content reasons, or profit margin ones or copyright issues over music, Disney does not seem to be interested in releasing a dub.

You could get the R2 UK DVD if you have a player that can play that region.

My personal view is dubs are bad anyway, and that is only a personal view. I know full well the majority of consumers would not buy subtitled movie but that is their choice, they are missing out on one of Ghibli's finest (and it wouldn't be as good with dubs anyway).

02.15.2008, 08:35 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Seiji
Totoro

quote:
Disney would never released a subtitled-only movie, its just not in their vocabulary or marketing. You may as well ask them to send a mission to Mars

There are umpteen companies producing Ghibli movies within their own national borders. Canadian companies, French, South African, Asia (Optimum also markets in these last 2 regions), Russia even I think. Are you mistaken about the Tokuma deal? Was that not limited to just the USA? Or maybe it is limited to dubbed releases?

The bottom line is, whether for content reasons, or profit margin ones or copyright issues over music, Disney does not seem to be interested in releasing a dub.

You could get the R2 UK DVD if you have a player that can play that region.

My personal view is dubs are bad anyway, and that is only a personal view. I know full well the majority of consumers would not buy subtitled movie but that is their choice, they are missing out on one of Ghibli's finest (and it wouldn't be as good with dubs anyway).

I honestly couldn't care less about whether or not it gets dubbed, I just want to own a high quality transfer of the movie in japanese (right now I have a VHS taped version that I recorded off tv, no commercials, good subs, not too shabby). I don't go out of my way to watch anything dubbed into another language, be it anime or any kind of film or television. I suppose I'll buy the U.K. release at some point, since it doesn't seem like Disney is gonna help me out.

The Tokuma deal was in fact abridged at some point to give Disney global DVD distribution rights, japan excepted. There's a summary of it on Nausicaa net. That's why I was surprised to find that other companies have released their own versions. Something must have happened since then. Perhaps it has to do with the break from Tokuma, or perhaps Disney sold the rights. It's also possible that some of those distribution companies are localized Disney companies, since they do in fact have quite a few other names...Miramax, touchstone, Buena Vista, to name a few...

Anyways, it's been a good discussion. I suppose all I can do is wait until the format war is over so that I can confidently invest in a regionless next gen disc player and start buying up region 2 DVDs on my list.

02.16.2008, 03:22 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Seiji invest in a regionless next gen disc player.
I don't know how much 'next gen' you need but regionless quality players are around now. I have a NAD player that is also a CD music centre and amp, it's very good. It comes locked into a region but a freely supplied unlocking code from the helpful store owner solved that.

The final hurdle is the formats: NTSC vs PAL, so on my player some US R1 PAL DVDS lose quality and appear a little 'jaggy' but no region-free player will cure that. You might suffer the same problem on UK R2 NTSC DVDs.

02.16.2008, 04:29 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saddles, don't you mean US R1 NTSC and UK R2 PAL? And besides, newer televisions are compatible with both PAL and NTSC, so it shouldn't be an issue.

02.16.2008, 06:00 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
fizzy
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.04.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fizzy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Actually, Optimum Releasing have done squat in terms of licensing and producing their Ghibli DVD's. ALL the UK DVD's have been authored by Madman Entertainment (hence why your DVD menu's use the official Australian movie title logos). Optimum simply distribute these discs in their region(with new region coding and cover art).

quote:
So then, why can't they just release it sub only? And how the heck did Optimum Release get the rights to something contained in the in the Disney Tokuma deal? Maybe they sold it there... Or maybe the deal has been altered now that Tokuma does not own Ghibli... Optimum no doubt had to deal with the same royalties issue for "The Rose" in their subbed version.

Madman Entertainment licensed all the Ghibli movies from Disney that were part of the Tokuma deal. This included Only Yesterday. However, most sub-only releases fare poorly in sales hence Madman would wait until a US dub was produced until they released their local version. This was under the assumption that eventually all films would be dubbed. When it became apparent that Only Yesterday wasn't going to be dubbed (it was pulled from the Takahata wave of releases), they were stuck with the license. It was only until a special edition of Howl's Moving Castle did Madman feel they could release Only Yesterday, (as HMC sold incredibly upon it's initial release) as both would be sharing "The Ghibli Collection" title and therefore thought that HMC may boost OY sales.

Edit:

So in terms of overall production:

Ghibli (Japan) produce film---> Disney(USA) produce English dub---> Madman Ent.(Aus) produce region 4 and 2UK PAL DVD---> Optimum Releasing(UK) distribute DVD's throughout the United Kingdom.

Post last edited by fizzy on 02.18.2008, 02:48 AM.

02.17.2008, 11:54 PM fizzy is offline   Profile for fizzy Add fizzy to your buddy list
paperbullet
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by paperbullet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

On the nausicaa.net mailing list, we've been discussing ways to encourage Disney to release a dubbed version of Only Yesterday sometime soon. We've come to an agreement that the only real reason Disney doesn't want to dub it is not that it would hurt their image (they could just release it through Miramax, which has released far worse films) or copyright (they shelled out for "Whisper of the Heart"; why not Only Yesterday?), but that there's virtually no market for the film. They aren't interested in doing it since it won't make money. So we decided to send an e-mail to Donald and Cindy Hewitt, who are the people in charge of the Ghibli translations and releases. They, as of yet, haven't sent a reply. We contacted them about two weeks ago. But we're sure they'll reply in some way, since we've sent them two messages before and they replied to both. In the meantime, the best thing to do is to vote for the film's release on the TCM (Turner Classic Movies) website, since we may try to use the site's influence to our advantage.

In an unrelated note, the Disney dubs are considered to be the best Japanese animation dubs ever made by the animation community (meaning people who have actual jobs in animation). They couldn't make a better dub if they wanted to. So, there.

Post last edited by paperbullet on 02.21.2008, 08:31 PM.

02.21.2008, 08:27 PM paperbullet is offline   Profile for paperbullet Add paperbullet to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

it would be hard to get a perfect dubb seeming that the japanese voice actors where filmed dubbing and then there mouths were drawn that way,so a decent dubb would be extremely hard to do it would proberly end up like a 1970 bruce lee dubb

02.22.2008, 12:05 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The lip synching isn't really the issue, its the translation and the suitability of the voices and the skill of the actors, probably in that (descending) order.

I'm sure it's not wholly profit that's Disney's concern. I'm sure content and copyright issues are all a part of the decision (or lack thereof).

02.22.2008, 09:00 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Paladin
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Paladin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've watched Only Yesterday more times than I can remember compared to other Ghibli movies... How would Disney releasing this movie hurt there self image? <.<

Its a great time capsul of a movie that reveals 2 era's in a country completely foreign to ours.

Was it the scene were the father is fed up and has to slap the daughter to make her stop acting like a brat??

Am I completely missing the point? :o

While I enjoy just about all of the dubs Disney gave the rest of the Ghibli collection so far this is one that I would be perfectly happy only ever watching with subs. The only Ghibli movie that I have to watch it in Japanese only is Grave Of The Fireflies because the dub completely butchers Setsuko's adorable voice. :\

~A Humble dreamer of Enigami~

Post last edited by Paladin on 04.11.2008, 04:49 PM.

04.11.2008, 04:46 PM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I always thought it was more the extended "period scene" that scared Disney away from releasing the film. Of course, they're being just as immature about it as the ten-year-old boys in Taeko's class.

04.11.2008, 08:10 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

maybe so... people are still kinda uptight about stuff like that down here...

To me, it's just a natural thing, ya know???

Hahaha, one time I was just yakking with some of the gals in the front office (I'm a mechanic, working outside mostly) and all of a sudden it dawned on me that we were talking about childbirthing and menstruation, etc and I was included in the conversation!!! No one seemed the least bothered that I, a man, was talking with them about these subjects and actually contributing to the conversation... I guess it kinda goes back to my upbringing by Mom.

@Orphic...

speaking of Mom, she was born in Wadena, but gone now. Up around Regina, north, I think...

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.11.2008, 09:18 PM.

04.11.2008, 08:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The United States, especially, it seems, has never really grown up when it comes to certain issues involving the female body. Disney would rather release a cartoon with a pretty high body count (like The Incredibles) than they would an animated movie even mentioning menstruation. It's really very silly.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 04.11.2008, 09:25 PM.

04.11.2008, 09:25 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks