QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Only Yesterday
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Only Yesterday » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, the so-called moral majority.... stuck up prudes for the most part... I am truly glad that I don't dance to that particular tune...

04.11.2008, 11:05 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This idea that it's the menstruation scenes that "put Disney off" has been going round for years. It's unproven and is merely rumour. According to various discussion groups I'm a member of it's as much a marketing/profit issue as to any other why the film isn't dubbed. It simply wouldn't sell enough units to turn a profit (or enough of a profit).

If you think about it, the subject matter is esoteric, there is no action, almost no romance, no strong plot or themes, its literally the diary and thoughts of a girl/woman going through a quite ordinary life and put on screen.

But seeing as no-one from Disney or Ghibli has ever commented, its all speculation and labelling Disney as 'conservative prudes and moralists' is unfair.

The techniques and artwork with which its done are stunning but this alone seems to be not enough. Given also the ending song copyright issues which are bound to crop up...

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.12.2008, 02:38 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Paladin
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Paladin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't get how the sequence concerning menstruation could be whats holding Disney back especially when the movie shows one of the characters behaving in such a proper adult manner concerning the subject.

I would think it to be a much better way to lead into such vitally important life lessons that a parent should be teaching their own children than being suddenly ambushed by the sort of crap Disney has been known to pull on parents within their theme parks.

http://www.mickeynews.com/News/DisplayPr..._Q_id_E_4277Gay

Exposing my kids to the likes of guys kissing guys or whatever else commonly occurs right out in the open in such events with little warning has to be one of the worst methods imaginable to have to lead into such a subject. Especially if the parent was less than prepared at the moment to have such an important discussion.

Heh its not like small children could even pay attention long enough to get to that part of the "Only Yesterday" either way. :p

I think in the end that "Only Yesterday" is a film that appeals more towards adults than children and feel its more likely they fear a poor return on their investments of a pricey dub. One of the biggest reasons I adore "Only Yesterday so much is because it leaves me with such a profound sense of nostalgia and wonder that smaller children like my kid brothers would likely not have the patience to sit through all the way just yet.

I remember trying to show my Little brother Star Wars Ep: 4 after he had become so excited after seeing Ep: 1 in theaters and how he fell asleep in the early first quarter of the film. :p

~A Humble dreamer of Enigami~

04.12.2008, 03:13 AM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
This idea that it's the menstruation scenes that "put Disney off" has been going round for years. It's unproven and is merely rumour. According to various discussion groups I'm a member of it's as much a marketing/profit issue as to any other why the film isn't dubbed. It simply wouldn't sell enough units to turn a profit (or enough of a profit).

I think that both explanations are true to an extent. Obviously the main reason Disney won't release the film is because it's too much of a risk, but I think part of the reason it is such a risk is because of the subject matter.

04.12.2008, 10:38 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The term 'prudes' and 'moral majority' that I used was not directed at either Disney or Ghibli, but at the vast number of people in this country that are so uptight about their own sexuality or anything close to the subject. It hasn't been that long since tampons and feminine pads have been allowed in TV ads.

Disney and other film makers are in the business to make a profit, providing video entertainment to the public as a whole (as Saddles said). If they feel that the public won't view their product in enough numbers, then it is pointless to even make a film or adapt it. They themselves are not necessarily taking a 'prudish' stance, merely looking out for the best interests of themselves and their stockholders.

I have never seen the Disney version of Totoro, but I often wondered how they handled the bath scene. What may be perfectly normal in Japanese society, like mixed public baths, can be totally taboo here.

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.12.2008, 11:14 AM.

04.12.2008, 11:13 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Totoro bath scene did cause a stir in some theatres in the west IIRC, but it wasn't cut at all.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.12.2008, 12:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

To be honest with you, THAT surprises me...
Of course I don't know what IIRC refers to, so that might be the reason... lol

04.12.2008, 07:50 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

04.12.2008, 10:09 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

@Saddles.... Thank You...

04.13.2008, 12:03 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think you have to remember that these people grew up watching Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse, not Paranoia Agent and Suzumiya Haruhi.

The idea is that anime is a Japanese cartoon (which it is), a cartoon is for kids, therefore anime is for kids.

And kids, of course, shouldn't be shown 'mature' things like menstruation or sharing a bath together, although you have to wonder why it's okay to see Elmer Fudd shooting Bugs Bunny and Donald Duck sticking his finger into a socket.

It's all perception, really. And all politically correct answers.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.13.2008, 11:25 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
What may be perfectly normal in Japanese society, like mixed public baths,

Single-sex bathing has become the norm in Japan. But it's different for young children. And I don't see much difference anyways, I see single women with kids taking their young sons into the ladies' washroom in Canada.

Post last edited by Theowne on 04.13.2008, 01:23 PM.

04.13.2008, 01:23 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I wasn't aware that public baths were mixed. I'm sure the genders have always been segregated in Japan for bathing (that is bathing to wash, not recreational bathing).

04.13.2008, 01:49 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I wasn't aware that public baths were mixed. I'm sure the genders have always been segregated in Japan for bathing (that is bathing to wash, not recreational bathing).

In the Sento, communal bath houses, there have been mixed bathing houses in history, and rules have changed throughout history, banned in certain periods, not banned in others, etc. Segregated bathing became the norm by modern times. Except for children, who can still go to either until a certain age.

04.13.2008, 02:43 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:

You have to remember that when I lived in Japan, it was over 40 years ago and at that time communal baths and toilets were around. Not everywhere, to be sure, but in the small towns, yes, and even in some of the larger cities like Yokosuka, in the instances of which I was aware...

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.13.2008, 03:34 PM.

04.13.2008, 02:52 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To be honest, I always feel uncomfortable seeing that bathing scene in Totoro -no matter how natural it is in Japan.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

04.16.2008, 10:24 AM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
quote:

In the Sento, communal bath houses, there have been mixed bathing houses in history, and rules have changed throughout history, banned in certain periods, not banned in others, etc. Segregated bathing became the norm by modern times. Except for children, who can still go to either until a certain age.

Yep, there were things like mixed casual nude bathing in English village life up until the 1950s - people up to their 20s going naked in the local millpond in summer for recreation - but it was in decline and had been for many decades. This was what I was saying. In almost any social circumstances you might find it happens to *some* degree but *generally* the degree to which it happens is reducing and in the current generation(s) generally it has ceased.

In historical contexts everyone went naked a lot more than in todays societies.

04.16.2008, 05:25 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

@Saddle. and Theowne..
kinda funny in a way, neither my wife, dau or I were bothered by each other, sans clothes, in the house up until the time my daughter was maybe 16/17. If we happened to see one another, no shrieks or embarrassed covering, etc. At night, on very rare occasions, we might skinnydip in the pool.

BUT, my sons, no way!!! My oldest is 7 yrs younger than his sister, they were totally shy from the time they were out of diapers, had to be suitably covered or wouldn't leave their room. I suppose that it illustrates what you were saying about the slowly changing attitudes in the newer generations...

I guess that it is really the individual that makes their own decision. I see young people, and sometimes older (unfortunately in some cases) out and about in some of the most revealing clothing and others quite bundled up, even in the summer..

hahaha, just had a thought... from the way my dau was when she was young, now a Muslim wife in Arabia wearing the abaya and veil, funny how it turned around...

I think that is enough on the subject... (spam?)

thread: Only Yesterday is a nice movie about the changing lifestyles of Japanese culture of only a few years ago...( or so it seems to an old guy like me, lol) (the years, I mean)

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.16.2008, 08:19 PM.

04.16.2008, 08:17 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
I think you have to remember that these people grew up watching Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse, not Paranoia Agent and Suzumiya Haruhi.

The idea is that anime is a Japanese cartoon (which it is), a cartoon is for kids, therefore anime is for kids.

And kids, of course, shouldn't be shown 'mature' things like menstruation or sharing a bath together, although you have to wonder why it's okay to see Elmer Fudd shooting Bugs Bunny and Donald Duck sticking his finger into a socket.

It's all perception, really. And all politically correct answers.

Not to mention you can carve a whole argument of school violence based on something like Looney Tunes, in how people get shot, but dont die and can therefore be used as a misleading attitude to impressionable young children.

Maybe it just wants to stay away from publishing Only Yesterday cause it is as i would call a 'minor ghibli' Disney wouldnt turn much of a profit imo for something like this. It would be better if it were marketable to kids to an extent like something like Kiki's and Laputa for instance. I really should get around to watching all of Only Yesterday, i dropped it a third of the way through, i think I had other things on the go. Just my 2 cents. Disney is a lot of things, smart is not one of them imo.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

04.17.2008, 12:38 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Miyrru

Maybe it just wants to stay away from publishing Only Yesterday cause it is as i would call a 'minor ghibli' Disney wouldnt turn much of a profit imo for something like this. It would be better if it were marketable to kids to an extent like something like Kiki's and Laputa for instance.

I think that you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence quoted above... "Marketable to kids" I think is the key here. Most kids would probably not understand 'Only Yesterday' the way someone older might. Whereas, something along the genre of 'Kiki' and 'Spirited' and 'Laputa' have just the sort of action that would appeal to kids...

I think that pretty much says it right there...

See, the soc classes have helped... lol

04.17.2008, 08:33 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

soc classes are helpful.

I really cant see a more certain reason than that. We are all biased to an extent because we can appreciate the films more. We are the kinds of people that might get this and show it to others that we know, to get them to try an appreciate it. Or heck, some of us might even show it to our kids, but the problem is that there isnt anything that is in Only Yesterday that is in the stereotyped genre of anime. Even if Disney recognized that it wasn't bringing the film over for kids, I doubt they could even give it any PR hype to appeal to everyone. Its a shame really, but I guess if this is how it works, than it is mostly a business decision and a smart one for Disney.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

04.17.2008, 08:37 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks