QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - a (not so) new fan of Miyazaki
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » a (not so) new fan of Miyazaki » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  a (not so) new fan of MiyazakiPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ohayo gozaimas...

I have just found this site and I am an avid fan of Miyazaki. I will be looking around and reading the different threads and I have been enjoying what I have seen so far. Miyazaki's work strongly reminds me of my time in Japan in the mid-60's. I enjoyed the country and would board a train and get off when I didn't know where I was. I would walk around and meet people, most of whom spoke as little English as I did japanese. These were the most fun times. My friend, Takahashi, and I spent a good deal of time together and at his parents rice farm. It was one of the better experiences of my life.

Thank you for listening to me and if I am slightly off of thread topic, I apologize.

husky51 (haha, I like Inuyuki)

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.23.2008, 12:16 AM.

03.23.2008, 12:15 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, living in the countryside r0x.

Welcome to the tavern at any rate. Ghibli news has been slow, so most of the fun has shifted to the GD forum.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.23.2008, 10:07 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

wow the sixties would have been a great time to visit japan

04.11.2008, 12:55 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i wasn't actually visiting... my ship was homeported in Yokosuka and since my stepdad was on the same ship it worked out great. He was a 2nd class petty officer and, as such, my mom and sister and teh family Mustang were all in Japan. I got a japanese drivers license and was able to stay home at night instead of having to be onboard the ship every night by 1am

I got to see a lot of the countryside just riding the trains until I didn't know where I was and get off and wander around... A lot of fun. We had a house out in Hayama Kokusai, a suburb of Yokosuka.

04.11.2008, 01:55 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Paladin
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Paladin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've got a little less than 1 year left stationed in Japan... so far I've mostly only been able to explore the varius regions within Tokyo, Yokohama, Odaiba, ect, But I've really been wanting to explore some of the more rural country sides myself.

I must admit though I'm much to shy to try and talk to anyone unless its to a casheer or waiter at a store... often with hillarious results. :p

I've been to the Ghibli museum about 4 times now and plan on going again really soon... I'd be there every weekend if not for the troubles in purchasing my own tickets at lawsons. T.T My skills in the Japanese language are pitiful at best and those lawson machines are a mystery to me, and I really don't like to bug the same people over and over again to buy me tickets. ~_~

I can at least read hiragana and Katakana and know the basic greetings and a smattering of vocabulary picked up here and there. :p

I've been here for two years and now that the bulk of my friends are moving away theres no one to hold me back by their being too lazy to want to go anywhere with me... its more fun to explore places with friends but a pain when they don't want to go anywhere very far or take forever getting ready. >:(

I'm tired of all my explorations revolving around finding food too, which seems to be all anyone can think of when you link up in a group of 2 or more. :\

Any good ideas of inspiring places to visit more toward the outskirts of tokyo rather than its center?? <.<

~A Humble dreamer of Enigami~

04.11.2008, 10:13 AM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Supposedly I heard that a large majority of foreign sailors speak japanese using female slang Not sure how true, but that would be really embarrasing if you realized what you were saying.

I wouldn't want to live overseas, much less Japan, to be honest; I don't really like going out anyway. But much less Japan, because, well, I'm a muslim. Forget looking for mosques, I'll be lucky if I can even find food to eat.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.11.2008, 12:07 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Paladin
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Paladin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hehe thats funny about foreigners using female terms... I wouldn't doubt anime fans running about who learned all they know from anime making fools of themselves. XD

Whats funnier is that the Japanese for the most part are so polite that they more than likely wont attempt to correct them. :\

~A Humble dreamer of Enigami~

04.11.2008, 12:29 PM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Paladin...

You ever see or hear about the old tv show "Have Gun, Will Travel" with Richard Boone? His character was called Paladin..

"Paladin, Paladin where do you roam.
Paladin, Paldin far, far from home..."

If you haven't heard it before, you might find the lyrics on a historical tv link...

I envy your opportunity to see the Ghibli museum. I know what you mean about going with a group, not everyone wants to go to the same place, usually. I always preferred sightseeing alone, then no question about having to cater to someone else's wishes...

And you're right about the politeness thing, especially back in the 60's...

@roar...

My daughter converted to Islam when she married Hasan and moved to Jeddah, KSA... got 7 grandkids there...

As for the sailors speaking with female slang, you know how a lot of us sailor types... Spend a lot of time in bars and with... uh, never mind...

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.11.2008, 02:31 PM.

04.11.2008, 02:21 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@paladin

lol that would be funny lol

04.21.2008, 12:53 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks